Disgusted with RC

Oompa Loompa, did you even read the other posts? Even the OP replied “Yep, you got it” to my post, so I’m not sure where you’re coming from. About 90% of the posters on this thread could not understand why the OP is disgusted with RCCL when they have clearly done nothing wrong, and are only looking out for the best interests of their passengers. Judging by most of the posts before and after mine, I think the general consensus is that 'disgusted' is a rather strong word for this situation.

The good news is that many posters have suggested to the OP that she look into local tours of the falls, which she seems fine with, so problem solved. The Allure is a wonderful ship, so hopefully all goes well, she has a great anniversary celebration, and her whole family enjoys the cruise.

Touché, and well put.

I am traveling on the Allure, Western Caribbean, August 10-17 for my 20 year wedding anniversary. I am going with my husband and children ages 19, 16, 6, and 2. My oldest children would love to experience Dunn's River Falls. I was told that we could not go as a group because of my two year old. I had a couple of options. I could stay on the boat with the younger ones and let the older ones go by themselves or let the two year old stay on the boat in the day care, while my husband and I go with the older children. I think this is just disheartening. :mad: My husband and I were going to walk up the sides with the young ones as we enjoyed the older ones take on the climb. I made an official complaint, and I am about ready to lose $1500 of my cruise payment to take my business elsewhere. Is there any excursion for Dunn's River Falls where my entire family could participate and watch?

Natalie

I understand the family aspect you are looking for. I also understand, that having done the falls several times, it really isn't something a 2 year old should be doing. That is why we aren't taking our 2 year old grandson in December. Isn't there anything else you'd like to do in Jamaica?? Don't let this ruin your vacation..

I have 2 boys, who are now adults. I watched them grow up. I made tons of sacrifices while they were younger, simply because they were too young, not tall enough or a number of other rules. I never questioned the rules. I followed them. I accepted them. One boy being older, got to do things first. The other watched. Sure they pouted. Guess what? This is going to keep happening. If you are so stressed out today because you have a two year old, and you are told, they are too young, what are you going to do for years to come? What about, if you live in a state with the driving age is 17 and the state next door is 16. Will you file a serious complaint to the governor of your displeasure? Move to the other state, just to make a point? Sounds extreme, but this is exactly what you are stating.

You may be mad at RCCL, but I'm glad, companies make rules to protect kids, regardless of what a "parent" feels is right. I always love the parent that tries to put a "short" kid on a roller coaster, and risk their death just because, they feel it is safe. 24 years of raising kids, and I have scene it all. I am still amazed at this topic of conversation.

It seems that the OP has left the building.....:rolleyes::eek::p

Why wouldn't she? The same advice over, and over, and over, by people who obviously couldn't be bothered to actually read that the OP had NO INTENTION of taking the 2yo climbing.

Edited by brigittetom

Why wouldn't she? The same advice over, and over, and over, by people who obviously couldn't be bothered to actually read that the OP had NO INTENTION of taking the 2yo climbing.

No offense but I don't think you have been reading either :)

It's perfectly clear she doesn't intend to take the 2 year old climbing, at least to me. The point is that area - around a large waterfall - is no place to take a 2 year old climbing or not. Mature, perfectly healthy and fit *adults* get hurt all the time on excursions like that, climbing or not. As a parent, she can decide if she wants to forge ahead anyway but that doesn't mean RCI has to be party to that decision and blaming them for choosing not to is ridiculous.

Look, I wager a pretty huge percentage of everyone here has at one time or another raised a 2 year old. The grandparents among us, more than once perhaps. It's a wonderful, life-affirming thing to have kids, but with it comes the simple fact that, especially while they are young, there are just certain things you aren't going to be able to do, and taking them to a giant natural waterfall that plunges in to a deep pool surrounded by slippery rocks is one of them.

Hello,

My wife and went to Jamaica for our honeymoon back in September. When we were there we went to dunn's river falls. It was cool to see the water flow into the ocean. All the people in a group hold hands to do some of the climbing. It's very slick and deep in some areas. As a parent I would not advise bringing a 2 year old on this excursion regardless of private or through RCI. There are some nice beach areas a family could attend or save this excursion for another visit when they are a bit older. I will add there is a natural whirlpool and shopping area there you could do if the rest of the family wanted to climb the falls.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No offense but I don't think you have been reading either :)

It's perfectly clear she doesn't intend to take the 2 year old climbing, at least to me. The point is that area - around a large waterfall - is no place to take a 2 year old climbing or not. Mature, perfectly healthy and fit *adults* get hurt all the time on excursions like that, climbing or not. As a parent, she can decide if she wants to forge ahead anyway but that doesn't mean RCI has to be party to that decision and blaming them for choosing not to is ridiculous.

Look, I wager a pretty huge percentage of everyone here has at one time or another raised a 2 year old. The grandparents among us, more than once perhaps. It's a wonderful, life-affirming thing to have kids, but with it comes the simple fact that, especially while they are young, there are just certain things you aren't going to be able to do, and taking them to a giant natural waterfall that plunges in to a deep pool surrounded by slippery rocks is one of them.

Sorry but it's pretty clear that there are several individuals that think the OP wants to bring the 2 year old into the actual falls....

Sorry but it's pretty clear that there are several individuals that think the OP wants to bring the 2 year old into the actual falls....

Fair enough but let's not miss the actual point which is climbing or not a lot of us don't think it's a good idea.

If she didn't want folks to weigh in on it she shouldn't have posted it in a public forum - I mean, that's kind of the point, isn't it? Soliciting opinions? Not all of them are going to line up :)

Consider booking privately through Courtney Taylor Tours. We had Marvin and it was beyond fantastic. We skipped Dunns river and did Irie Blue Hole instead and I'm super glad we did. We were the only ones there most of the afternoon and were completely spoiled and dealt with zero of the tourist trap factor. He even held our cash for us while we swam and took pictures of us and could not have been in more of a hurry to give it all back.

Debbie

You can certainly visit the falls with a two-year-old or 80-year-old, or anyone who doesn't want to climb it and not go into the falls at all. There is a walkway (cement and wood, when we were there, like long and gradual steps) that parallels the falls and ends at the beach at the bottom of the falls.

Whoever stays with the little one could just walk down those steps with her and then either watch the others climb the falls from the bottom or along the walk, or let them paddle in the ocean and play in the sand. That's what we did and it worked perfectly.

I agree completely (and posted before) that a private excursion is what the OP needs, since RCI won't let a two-year-old go on the excursion, even if not climbing the falls (which of course someone that young couldn't/shouldn't). It will be cheaper and better anyway.