Disgusted with RC

I don't have any advice about the excursion, sorry. I hope you find a solution!

But I would like to comment that you have to be careful about getting your heart set on one thing when you're cruising. Sometimes there is engine trouble and a ship misses a port. Sometimes things get rained out. We've had an excursion that I was really, really looking forward to get cancelled because of transportation issues. You're traveling during the peak of hurricane season when anything could happen (probably won't but it could). Try not to plan your whole vacation around one thing or let one thing spoil it.

Edited by CruisinCrow

I don't have any advice about the excursion, sorry. I hope you find a solution!

But I would like to comment that you have to be careful about getting your heart set on one thing when you're cruising. Sometimes there is engine trouble and a ship misses a port. Sometimes things get rained out. We've had an excursion that I was really, really looking forward to get cancelled because of transportation issues. You're traveling during the peak of hurricane season when anything could happen (probably won't but it could). Try not to plan your whole vacation around one thing or let one thing spoil it.

Thanks for your kind words!!!!!

There are several highly recommended tour companies (know Jamaica, etc - check the ports of call boards) that will take you on combination tours with Dunns River, gardens, beaches and other places. I recommend this. We did one of these a few years ago and Dunns River was our least favorite part because the kids (and us) were being pushed by everyone behind us...it was way too crowded and I wouldn't do it again with kids that young (I think they were 3 and 4 at the time). However, everything else we did was great.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

ditto :):)

Another vote for Peat Taylor. We have used them twice and been exceptionally well cared for and very satisfied each time. Private tour out of Falmouth for 4 people cost us $160 total. We went shopping, ate at Scotchies and spent hours at Doctor's Cave beach. Never were we alone and we always felt safe. Cost was much less than similar excursions from RCCL. Fair warning though-if you book independently you are responsible for the trip and any issues that arise (such as getting back to the ship on time). We were confident with Peat Taylor's company as we had used them before when we traveled to a resort in Jamaica.

I was in Jamaica on a villa vacation 4 years back and hired a private driver and guide who took us to the falls. Watching some people slip going up I opted not to go up as my children were only 1 and 3. It really is a safety issue. A private guide may take you there but you really need to think what happens if your two year old slips or you do while holding him. Could impact entire vacation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP, because you could not book the ship excursion, you'll now discover the potential joy and flexibility of private excursions for your gang. You may find much better values, too. You may find better excursion choices via private vendors on your other ports of call. Rather than disgusting, in the end this event might be enlightening. Maybe you'll eventually be thankful:) that Royal Caribbean's vendor (or more likely the vendor's insurance company) did not want the responsibility for little kids.

The age range on Dunns web site is for the childrens rate is for ages between 2 & 11

But I think it is extreme to dog the cruiseline, getting disgusted and would want to cancel a cruise because of the age limitation for the excursion. Could be that the tour operator they use don't allow children that age. There are various excursions that have age limitations and I would think that it is not just on RCI!

Check with Patrice Bailey recommended on Trip advisor we also used her last Sept and everything went well! Not sure they would let the little ones go up the falls but sure don't know why you can"t sit and watch them! There are a lot of people that are not physically able to climb and sit on the platforms above the falls!

I am traveling on the Allure, Western Caribbean, August 10-17 for my 20 year wedding anniversary. I am going with my husband and children ages 19, 16, 6, and 2. My oldest children would love to experience Dunn's River Falls. I was told that we could not go as a group because of my two year old. I had a couple of options. I could stay on the boat with the younger ones and let the older ones go by themselves or let the two year old stay on the boat in the day care, while my husband and I go with the older children. I think this is just disheartening. :mad: My husband and I were going to walk up the sides with the young ones as we enjoyed the older ones take on the climb. I made an official complaint, and I am about ready to lose $1500 of my cruise payment to take my business elsewhere. Is there any excursion for Dunn's River Falls where my entire family could participate and watch?

Natalie

I don't have children so I won't comment on your disgust, disheartenment, or your insistence to bring your 2 year old on that excursion.

I will, however, offer you "encouragement" based on my personal experience. I sailed on Allure with my family a couple years ago and I'm sailing on her again with my GF's family on the same cruise on Aug. 1oth. It is an absolutely fantastic ship and was a "WOW" experience for all of us. You have made an excellent selection for your anniversary celebration and I can say with all certainty that your entire family will enjoy the ship immensely.

I strongly encourage you to get past your issues with the tour and continue with your plans for your great cruise celebration. It would truly be a shame for you and your family to miss a fantastic cruise experience and loose money on top of it.

Have a great cruise...I certainly intend to. :)

My 02 is that they give an age limit for safety reasons of their own.

I think last year there was a family here in Texas that wanted to let their young teenage daughter skydive. She was under the age that Texas would not allow her to jump alone. Tandom is what Texas allows up to a certain age. Well parents decided to go to Oklahoma where the laws are more lenient and she was allowed to jump solo. She panicked and end result was not good. Parents are wanting to now sue the skydive company.

The girl survived but point is there are reasons for rules. I dont think they are there just to piss you off.

again my 02

I am traveling on the Allure, Western Caribbean, August 10-17 for my 20 year wedding anniversary. I am going with my husband and children ages 19, 16, 6, and 2. My oldest children would love to experience Dunn's River Falls. I was told that we could not go as a group because of my two year old. I had a couple of options. I could stay on the boat with the younger ones and let the older ones go by themselves or let the two year old stay on the boat in the day care, while my husband and I go with the older children. I think this is just disheartening. :mad: My husband and I were going to walk up the sides with the young ones as we enjoyed the older ones take on the climb. I made an official complaint, and I am about ready to lose $1500 of my cruise payment to take my business elsewhere. Is there any excursion for Dunn's River Falls where my entire family could participate and watch?

Natalie

And how did the complaint work out for you? Great first post.....:rolleyes:

You are "disgusted" with the wrong people. Royal Caribbean does not determine age limits, nor which excursions have "observer" tickets, their vendors do this. Royal has no control over this. Think about it: why would they turn down money if they could take it?

Edited by cruisnseas

In my original post, you will read that the younger children, my DH, and I were onlookers as my older children participated. They use to have it set up where there were separate fees. They reps are not sure what happened to that option.

You absolutely DON'T NEED an excursion of any kind (ship-sponsored or private) to go to Dunn's River Falls and watch your kids climb. It is a government owned natural site something like one of our National Parks. Admission is payable directly at the gates that gives you access to observe the climbers and guided climbs can be booked right then and there. You're making this into a problem when it doesn't need to be. In fact, forget about an excursion at all and just take a cab to the site from the ship. Once you are there you can decide who's climbing and who's watching. There is really nothing to be upset at RCCL about.

http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/index.php

Edited by ronandannette

Natalie

I will never go back to Dunn's River Falls or anywhere in Jamaica. I don't appreciate being hounded to buy drugs. When we exited the falls, I was warned that the vendors are very aggressive so I warned my sons that were teenagers at the time to look down and keep walking. My younger son who was 14 at the time was walking in front of me and a very aggressive punk shoved him when he didn't respond to the c*** he was selling. I almost took the guy out. If it wasn't for my DH, I would be in a Jamaican jail right now. Until Jamaica cleans up their act, they will be boycotted by my family. The gov't is so corrupt, that I refuse to spend a dime there. Yes, I know there are many decent people on the island but I refuse to subject myself or my family to abuse.

If you do decide to do a private tour and allow the older children to do the climb while you watch, I would also suggest that you insist your 6 year old be just an observer, even if the lower age limit is 5 years.

We did this climb last year on an Oasis cruise and, as others have mentioned, there is a lot of pushing and crowding, it can be very slippery on the rocks and at times the water is higher/deeper than at other times. I would have concerns with a 6 year old climbing unless an adult was keeping a very watchful eye if the Falls are crazy busy with cruise ship tours

Edited by jellyfish39

I agree, book private. It will be cheaper and most likely better, and there won't be an age problem.

We cruised about 9 years ago with our family, and we had grandkids 3, 4, 5, 5 and 13 along. Having climbed the falls previously, we knew the younger ones couldn't do it; well maybe the 5's could have, but we chose to take the kids to the beach by the falls while their parents climbed.

We also did river tubing, which all the kids could do and loved. We used Phil Lafayette, who was great; not sure if he is still running tours or not.

I agree, book private. It will be cheaper and most likely better, and there won't be an age problem.

We cruised about 9 years ago with our family, and we had grandkids 3, 4, 5, 5 and 13 along. Having climbed the falls previously, we knew the younger ones couldn't do it; well maybe the 5's could have, but we chose to take the kids to the beach by the falls while their parents climbed.

We also did river tubing, which all the kids could do and loved. We used Phil Lafayette, who was great; not sure if he is still running tours or not.

I agree, I think a 5 year old is much too young to climb the falls.

I will never go back to Dunn's River Falls or anywhere in Jamaica. ... Yes, I know there are many decent people on the island but I refuse to subject myself or my family to abuse.

I share your sentiments that the stop in Jamaica is to be endured more than enjoyed. The new port area in Falmouth is friendly enough but not a true local experience, yet set foot out the gates and without expert guidance it's the Wild Wild West. That's our day for the no waiting at the Spa and a good seat by the pool.

I share your sentiments that the stop in Jamaica is to be endured more than enjoyed. The new port area in Falmouth is friendly enough but not a true local experience, yet set foot out the gates and without expert guidance it's the Wild Wild West. That's our day for the no waiting at the Spa and a good seat by the pool.

Precisely!

This is how we approached Honduras recently, we did a little shopping at the port and treated the rest of the day like a sea day.