Disgusted with RC

Do you really think ANY other cruise line would let your whole family take this excursion?

Really, as I can't see even a local resort booking this for your whole family. Maybe a local company would....

Already asked and YES!!!!! :D

I'm not sure I follow how this is Royal's fault. I would think that the people doing the excursions make the rules. If they are saying 5 and up do you think that it would be safe for your 2 year old if someone told you that they would allow it?

I am traveling on the Allure, Western Caribbean, August 10-17 for my 20 year wedding anniversary. I am going with my husband and children ages 19, 16, 6, and 2. My oldest children would love to experience Dunn's River Falls. I was told that we could not go as a group because of my two year old. I had a couple of options. I could stay on the boat with the younger ones and let the older ones go by themselves or let the two year old stay on the boat in the day care, while my husband and I go with the older children. I think this is just disheartening. :mad: My husband and I were going to walk up the sides with the young ones as we enjoyed the older ones take on the climb. I made an official complaint, and I am about ready to lose $1500 of my cruise payment to take my business elsewhere. Is there any excursion for Dunn's River Falls where my entire family could participate and watch?

Natalie

So sorry you are disappointed! Disheartening ....yes. Disgusting....no! Unless they changed the minimum age on the excursion after you booked! The min age requirement is probably due to the insurance company for the shore excursion company.

I'm not sure I follow how this is Royal's fault. I would think that the people doing the excursions make the rules. If they are saying 5 and up do you think that it would be safe for your 2 year old if someone told you that they would allow it?

In my original post, you will read that the younger children, my DH, and I were onlookers as my older children participated. They use to have it set up where there were separate fees. They reps are not sure what happened to that option.

Dunn's River Falls is super easy to get to in a taxi or mini-bus. There are guys standing around all over the place by the dock waiting to take you there. It's a fair drive from Falmouth and not as convenient as when the ships went to Ocho Rios, so plan a couple of hours of travel time, but you can usually just show up and get a ride there pretty easily. We've never done a ship tour to get there.

Tom

So let me get this right.......

You are upset with Royal because they are standing behind a safety issue by a vendor for a shore excursion?

Have you considered these rules may be in place for a reason......like your precious little one's well being.

Would you also complain about the cruiseline if you booked a private company and God Forbid something tragic happened?

Read my last post...

So sorry you are disappointed! Disheartening ....yes. Disgusting....no! Unless they changed the minimum age on the excursion after you booked! The min age requirement is probably due to the insurance company for the shore excursion company.

Thanks for your input, Skiiergirl!!

Just don't be surprised if the independent tour operators don't allow a 2 year old to participate either! Some may and some may not allow.

OP has to make it really clear that she is going to watch from the side with the 2 year old.

To be honest, though, OP...I don't know how long it's been since you were there. But, it was 25 years between my 2 visits and I was appalled. The first time, it was leisurely and relaxing, the second time, because of all the many more tourists the years have bought, it was almost like a forced march.

I won't do it again, sadly, as pretty as it is/was.

Dunn's River Falls is super easy to get to in a taxi or mini-bus. There are guys standing around all over the place by the dock waiting to take you there. It's a fair drive from Falmouth and not as convenient as when the ships went to Ocho Rios, so plan a couple of hours of travel time, but you can usually just show up and get a ride there pretty easily. We've never done a ship tour to get there.

Tom

Thanks, Tom!!!!! Much appreciated!!!!

Already asked and YES!!!!! :D

If you REALLY think you can find another cruise like who will let you take your whole family on this excursion, I suggest that you do that.

Compared to cleaning up fecees in your basement after the sewer backed up, it certainly is disgusting that a company would try to keep your kids safe. I just did the former this past weekend.

Edited by alfaeric

There is a very good reason for Royal's policy. I'm sure the melodrama is just crazy anniversary trip stress! The Allure is a prefect choice for your special family celebration!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Artemis

OP has to make it really clear that she is going to watch from the side with the 2 year old.

To be honest, though, OP...I don't know how long it's been since you were there. But, it was 25 years between my 2 visits and I was appalled. The first time, it was leisurely and relaxing, the second time, because of all the many more tourists the years have bought, it was almost like a forced march.

I won't do it again, sadly, as pretty as it is/was.

Awww, Karina, sorry to hear that. I did it 10 years ago with my DH. The older children just wanted to give it a try. My sister and her family, who is traveling with us, feels as you and will not do it again!!

Thanks for your response!!

If you REALLY think you can find another cruise like who will let you take your whole family on this excursion, I suggest that you do that.

Compared to cleaning up fecees in your basement after the sewer backed up, it certainly is disgusting that a company would try to keep your kids safe. I just did the former this past weekend.

Bye FELICIA!!!! :D

Yes, I'm disgusted!!!!!!!

you are disgusted the cruise line is unwilling to take the responsibility of allowing a 2 year old on their excursion and thus incurring liability insurance issues?

as others have said book outside.. assuming the independent tour guides also do not impose the same restrictions.

Did it once and never again. Dropped us off at a strip mall for shopping and all we could see were armed security guards with guns (magnum 45s). We basically stay on the ship as it is safer.

Dropped us off at a strip mall for shopping and all we could see were armed security guards with guns (magnum 45s). We basically stay on the ship as it is safer.

45 mag's are awesome guns, should have kept you plenty safe!!!!!!:D

you are disgusted the cruise line is unwilling to take the responsibility of allowing a 2 year old on their excursion and thus incurring liability insurance issues?

as others have said book outside.. assuming the independent tour guides also do not impose the same restrictions.

I direct you to other posts I have submitted concerning the two year old's onlooking status!!

Did it once and never again. Dropped us off at a strip mall for shopping and all we could see were armed security guards with guns (magnum 45s). We basically stay on the ship as it is safer.

Many years ago during spring break the bus dropped us of in FLL and we saw the exact same thing at every jewellery and liquor store we went into in Florida.

There are, unfortunately, many tours and activities that will not allow 2 year olds. That includes the Adventure Ocean kids' club on Royal Caribbean. Hopefully you have looked into those rules. Your 2 year old will only have use of Royal Babies and Tots program. I assume you know that but this is another example. I don't think this is a reason to be disgusted with RC.

Re the DRF tour, one consideration is that it is a long drive there and the 2 year old will not have a car seat. Maybe you can find a private tour that provides one.

Last year with my almost-4 year old we chose not to do a tour due to age restrictions,and we left my kids on board and just shopped around the port. But with 3 older kids I would have probably had my husband take them to DRF and stayed behind and relaxed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app