Why the higher rates for a certain week on the Jewel??

cod

Just a quick background! We had booked a December '14 cruise on the Jewel (a balcony) and then our kids chipped in and bought us an October Jewel cruise..October 11 '14, for our 50th, unaware that I had something already booked. They were so proud and excited about getting it for us that I just silently canceled the one I'd booked and just stayed with with their gift. (For which we are very grateful, needless to say).

We've cruised in more insides than any other category and they know their Dad likes to be on an upper deck and so they got us an IB, midship on deck 9 which is fine with us.

Now to my question. Jewel 10/11/14 rates are higher than any other week, in every category. And there are plenty of cabins still available.

Can anyone suggest why, with so many cabins still available, that they would keep the prices up? Is it because it's the first sailing out of Houston? Do they foresee problems and holding back for that reason? I'm keeping an eye on the prices to 1) save them some money if the price of our IB goes down before final payment or 2) or to possibly upgrade on our own if it's not too steep.

I'm just wondering if price watchers out there see any rhyme-or-reason to all this.

Thank you all in advance!!

I'm just guessing - since you said there are a lot of cabins available ... but maybe the Columbus Day holiday has something to do with it? It the ship doesn't sell, they will lower the price. Just keep checking! When I booked my Thanksgiving cruise, I was paying $1,200 more than I am now with all of the price drops. Could be that they expect a higher booking. PS - Happy Anniversary!!

Edited by SissasMomE

There is usually a fall type of holiday at that time in October in many school districts around the country. Parents will think "they have off two school days, what does three more matter?" Not sound thinking in my books, but that is the logic.

With the exception of cruises that include Christmas Day and NYE, December is typically the cheapest month to book a cruise, followed by January.

People are busy getting ready for family holidays, or have already made arrangements for family holiday travel. They have tied up their money in Christmas presents, or are paying off the credit cards.

We book Dec and Jan quite often, specifically because the prices are lower and ships are usually not fully booked. Our flights are often boojed on the holiday itself, also producing cheaper fares because few want to be in an airplane eating Christmas dinner. For us, with no kids or grandkids, it works very very well. (Though if when we want to travel with friends, we sometimes have to be flexible.)

There is usually a fall type of holiday at that time in October in many school districts around the country. Parents will think "they have off two school days, what does three more matter?" Not sound thinking in my books, but that is the logic.

This always happens for cruises out of NYC for Columbus Week.

Just a quick background! We had booked a December '14 cruise on the Jewel (a balcony) and then our kids chipped in and bought us an October Jewel cruise..October 11 '14, for our 50th, unaware that I had something already booked. They were so proud and excited about getting it for us that I just silently canceled the one I'd booked and just stayed with with their gift. (For which we are very grateful, needless to say).

We've cruised in more insides than any other category and they know their Dad likes to be on an upper deck and so they got us an IB, midship on deck 9 which is fine with us.

Now to my question. Jewel 10/11/14 rates are higher than any other week, in every category. And there are plenty of cabins still available.

Can anyone suggest why, with so many cabins still available, that they would keep the prices up? Is it because it's the first sailing out of Houston? Do they foresee problems and holding back for that reason? I'm keeping an eye on the prices to 1) save them some money if the price of our IB goes down before final payment or 2) or to possibly upgrade on our own if it's not too steep.

I'm just wondering if price watchers out there see any rhyme-or-reason to all this.

Thank you all in advance!!

Economics and/or Business 101 -- Supply and Demand. Any business witll try to get the highest possible price they can for their service or product that the market will bear taking into consideration all sorts of factors (like season, competition, etc.), and adjust as appropriate.

As noted, you'll see fares fluctute (up and down) as the date gets closer. We saw the fares we booked on the Breakaway 9 months in advance go up a few hundred dollars a cabin, and then go down below what we locked in at and got a refund (before final payment - which is when you're locked in, but can get OBC sometimes).

When we first sailed two years ago, we booked only a month or so before the cruise and watched a two-bedroom villa drop by about $100 every three or four days as it got closer to sailing and found our end price was close to half-price. Better to sell a stateroom significantly discounted then have it go empty. And trust me, they made up for it with our spending on the ship :)

Watch the fares and if you see them drop, call your TA and see what can be done.