Alaska Cruise Companion Map mentiobed in Patters?

pmd98052

I noticed the below passage on the patters for the Golden's current Alaska schedule.... Does this refer to a companion map or something you can buy onboard or? Thanks!

"Today, Golden Princess will be cruising the coastal waters of British Columbia. To starboard, Vancouver Island and the Strathcona Mountains may be in view.

Cape Scott (waypoint S4; page 65) marks the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

Waypoints may be found on the Alaska Cruise Companion Map and page numbers reference the Alaska Cruise Companion book"

I noticed the below passage on the patters for the Golden's current Alaska schedule.... Does this refer to a companion map or something you can buy onboard or? Thanks!

There is a map included with the Alaska Cruise Companion book which is sold on board. The naturalist will refer to numbers on the map so you can see where you are. It is a nice book/map, especially for a first Alaskan cruise. There are several versions of the book and I believe it is still authored by Joe Upton. You can also buy on Amazon, but it may not be the latest version. You should be able to call Princess to buy before your cruise which would be a good idea so that you can read about your cruise rather than waiting to get it on board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's great thanks so much - I definitely want to get this.

Anyone know if it is this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile---Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403196024&sr=8-2&keywords=Alaska+Cruise+Companion

Would be easier for me to order now from Amazon as I guess its cheaper than onboard?

That's great thanks so much - I definitely want to get this.

Anyone know if it is this version:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile---Mile/dp/0979491576/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403196024&sr=8-2&keywords=Alaska+Cruise+Companion

Would be easier for me to order now from Amazon as I guess its cheaper than onboard?

The 2012 version is probably the latest. The one before that was the 2008 version. There were minor tweaks between the two but we used our 2008 version on our 2012 cruise with little issue. Since we bought our book in 2010, I don't remember what the price was on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Go ahead and get it from Amazon. It is so great to have the map in advance.

You can see where you will be going. The map and the book tell you of scenic features to see for sure.

Wonderful to have it in advance.

It really makes waiting for the cruise more exciting!

The 2012 version is probably the latest. The one before that was the 2008 version. There were minor tweaks between the two but we used our 2008 version on our 2012 cruise with little issue. Since we bought our book in 2010, I don't remember what the price was on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

It was $18.99 on board.

Rachel Cartwright is the author of the book sold in the gift shops. We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Coral and Rachel was onboard and spoke several times during the week...both in the Princess theater and narrating from the bridge.

I had taken along the map from Joe Upton's book and it was not the same as the one in Rachel's book...I think hers was better. Besides coordinating with the "waypoints" mentioned in the Princess Patters, the Cartwright map also indicates good viewing areas for wildlife.

I don't believe Rachel's book is sold on Amazon other than someone selling used copies for around $57! The book can be ordered directly from Princess through their Bon Voyage Gifts, but it will be delivered directly to the stateroom.

Link to order Alaska Book

Here is a photo of the map from the book that was on display in the bookstore.

IMG_2046.JPG

And also a lousy photo of Rachel during one of her presentations.

IMG_2044.JPG

I didn't buy the book since I already had a couple other Alaska cruise guidebooks, but I would have considered it if I could have purchased it BEFORE the cruise. No time to read once we were on the cruise!

Did the book have multiple maps? From the photo it doesn't look like that would be the route a Seattle sailing would take?

I think it was just one map. The map in my photo had our route highlighted with a pink marker...that isn't how it looked originally.

Since I couldn't get the Princess book until I got on board and wanted to read something in advance, I bought "Alaska By Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond. It also has a great map. Side-by-side, I preferred this one to the one sold on the ship.

Thanks - I've ordered the Amazon Joe Upton book already but I think I'll go ahead and get this one as well....

I have been extremely happy with the map that comes with the Joe Upton book. You will like it.

I am sure the other maps are good also.

Enjoy your map. I have. :) I have been on 12 Alaska cruises:)

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Did the book have multiple maps? From the photo it doesn't look like that would be the route a Seattle sailing would take?
The map with the Upton book has two sides but one side has two strips that cover the route from Seattle or Vancouver all the way to Glacier Bay. The other side covers the route all the way from Vancouver to Whittier.

If I recall correctly (my mom had the book, not me) the Cartwright book only had one main map, but it charted routes for various types of cruises (i.e. roundtrip from Seattle, Vancouver to Anchorage, etc.). In the picture that AryMay posted you can see their highlighted route, but another (lighter pink dashed line) marking a route that a different type of cruise would take. There was definitely a Seattle roundtrip route charted out.

The map with the Upton book has two sides but one side has two strips that cover the route from Seattle or Vancouver all the way to Glacier Bay. The other side covers the route all the way from Vancouver to Whittier.

Thanks for this clear explanation of the Upton book's map. Excellent!

It was too hard for me to explain. Good work. :)

Interesting, do you happen to know the name and author as the OP seems to indicate that it is still Upton's book which really is extremely good.
I believe that the book is by Rachel Cartwright and is titled The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Naturalist's Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage. It is on Amazon and has a Princess ship on the cover. There is an issue on Amazon because the price for a new copy is listed as $2,432.64 :eek:

I believe that the book is by Rachel Cartwright and is titled The Alaska Cruise Companion: A Naturalist's Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage. It is on Amazon and has a Princess ship on the cover. There is an issue on Amazon because the price for a new copy is listed as $2,432.64 :eek:

But you can get it used for just $33, a discount of $2399.64.

However, the $2,432.64 price qualifies for free shipping.

Just picked up the Upton book with the map at Barnes and Noble today. Excellent map and information...High Gloss pictures....almost like a National Geographic magazine! So now everyone is saying this is not a good resource....this edition is 2012...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That price includes the cruise.

Just picked up the Upton book with the map at Barnes and Noble today. Excellent map and information...High Gloss pictures....almost like a National Geographic magazine! So now everyone is saying this is not a good resource....this edition is 2012...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You did good! This book is still a great resource. It has served me well on many Alaska cruises. Enjoy the book, the map, and your cruise:)