New ship to Aust

Has anyone noticed that Portugese cruise line Portuscale is bringing the 10,000 tonne Funchal to Aust from Feb next year to do a season of cruises ex Sydney, Newcastle and Geelong?

Has anyone noticed that Portugese cruise line Portuscale is bringing the 10,000 tonne Funchal to Aust from Feb next year to do a season of cruises ex Sydney, Newcastle and Geelong?

Hi Gerko,

There was an article in the latest Cruise Passenger magazine.

Here is the link to the article online.

http://cruisepassenger.com.au/2014/05/portuguese-cruise-ship-sails-australia/

The ship has lovely lines. Reminds me of the old Royal Yacht Britannia.

Interesting itineraries as well. Something a little bit different to the modern mass market ships.

OK, I'm sold. Where do I sign up?

Just checked the web site and it looks great. Love the Newcastle, Eden, Geelong 3 night itinerary in Feb 15 or the reverse in March.

Have just emailed them to get a copy of the brochure so I can check the pricing.

Something very different to the norm. Fantastic for all those in Geelong and regional areas of Victoria to do the SA and TAS itineraries.

I think this is one we need to watch. It will be interesting to see how the regular cruisers of the mass market lines react to this classic boutique style of ship/yacht.

Wow! No lines, no queues, no crowds... Am I "jaded"? Yeh, probably. :)

Why?

One would miss out on cruising on one of the worlds really classic ships

Funchal is a little gem I am so glad she is still with us, I had the very great pleasure of sailing in her when she was just over a year old and still had her steam turbines.

I'm another who is considering how I can get a trip on her

The company run by a Portuguese family is reputable so there should be no issues.

Regards

John

It certainly is a lovely classic ship....but it still has to get down here.

Have the new owners , who took possesion from Classic Int. Cruises , done any cruising with her yet?

Lets hope they have enough credit behind them to secure all the provisions that will need to be be bought, and paid for , before it comes down here.

We dont want another Athena episode.:eek:

It certainly is a lovely classic ship....but it still has to get down here.

Have the new owners , who took possesion from Classic Int. Cruises , done any cruising with her yet?

Lets hope they have enough credit behind them to secure all the provisions that will need to be be bought, and paid for , before it comes down here.

We dont want another Athena episode.:eek:

Have a look here

http://www.portuscalecruises.pt/en-GB/Portuscale-Cruises--The-discoveries-continue.aspx

Regards

John

Yeah, they bought Classic International Cruises fleet after they went bust. The renamed Athena is part of their fleet. I would stay well away from them.

I'd have to agree here - basically all the Classic Fleet were arrested at various ports - and hundreds of Aussies were "stranded" in the UK/Europe having paid out for the "Down Under" cruise from the UK to Perth a couple of years ago. I know the thoughts are "Well that was Classic International" and may seem unfair - but they knew months before this debacle that the ship (Athena) wasn't coming here - but still continued to sell the cruises. The first season usually goes okay - but I would be wary. My opinion of course.

I know the thoughts are "Well that was Classic International"

That's my view.

They're very different companies. The only thing in common is the asset - ship. And it's like saying I'd never fly one airline because they bought planes off another airline that collapsed. That's just business, as the saying goes.

There is a gamble with any line. Any cruise company can go under no matter how large and people will get burned. Insurance may cover some of the people but insolvency isn't always covered. Read the fine print and know the risks.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

There is a gamble with any line. Any cruise company can go under no matter how large and people will get burned.

Yes, NCL was in serious danger of it a few years back, and RCL/Celebrity group were very weak. Another season of difficulties could have sent them to the wall.

I don't hear too many questions about their viability now though.

That's my view.

They're very different companies. The only thing in common is the asset - ship. And it's like saying I'd never fly one airline because they bought planes off another airline that collapsed. That's just business, as the saying goes.

On the plus - the Funchal is a "cute" ship - albeit it had a make over (Around 20013)after our cruise "sometime back" (2004) - it is compact - the lifts were the old fashioned one's where you had to close the two doors - one on the inside - one on the outside - like they have in old buildings - you can see through them and there is only room for 6 max :p

There was no buffet - only outside for lunch. Main dining room for other meals. I remember the food being good - and the service excellent. Obviously easy to get round. I can't see that they would have made the outside stairs any wider - they were very steep. (The things you remember) We actually had a four berth at that time - very roomy - double bunks - but plenty of room - the biggest four berth we've ever had - and we've had a few. ;) We enjoyed it - even though it was a 3 day out of Fremantle.

The stairs between decks inside were winding - so you were up them before you realized. Plenty of old wood - very classy - well it was some ones Royal yacht once. (Can't remember the history) Very cosy ship.

Good shows - nice bars - there was a main one- and one in the showroom if I remember rightly. Easy to get to know people.

Edited by dizzy1948

On the plus - the Funchal is a "cute" ship - albeit it had a make over (Around 20013)after our cruise "sometime back" (2004) - it is compact - the lifts were the old fashioned one's where you had to close the two doors - one on the inside - one on the outside - like they have in old buildings - you can see through them and there is only room for 6 max :p

There was no buffet - only outside for lunch. Main dining room for other meals. I remember the food being good - and the service excellent. Obviously easy to get round. I can't see that they would have made the outside stairs any wider - they were very steep. (The things you remember) We actually had a four berth at that time - very roomy - double bunks - but plenty of room - the biggest four berth we've ever had - and we've had a few. ;) We enjoyed it - even though it was a 3 day out of Fremantle.

The stairs between decks inside were winding - so you were up them before you realized. Plenty of old wood - very classy - well it was some ones Royal yacht once. (Can't remember the history) Very cosy ship.

Good shows - nice bars - there was a main one- and one in the showroom if I remember rightly. Easy to get to know people.

Sounds like the old style cruising for sure, when life was simpler and people didn't expect anything much except for classy service.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Sounds like the old style cruising for sure, when life was simpler and people didn't expect anything much except for classy service.:D

It was - and if it still stays that way - it's a plus. It's 10 years since we were on it - the ship hasn't "grown" in size - so it would be nice to think that it's all still there. One thing I forgot to mention (and this is where some of the money could may have been spent) - you had a KEY - a real door key - for your cabin - that tickled us. Our "on board ship account card" was a little cardboard card with our cabin number on - you showed it and that was it. I'm sure that has changed by now ;) Another thing I remember (I'm on a roll) are the wonderful cocktail bartenders - who used to "throw" the ingredients in a glass - and do flips and things with them - quite a show on it's own. I chuckled at the gym - down three steps on the pool deck, one walker/stepper, two tread mills a rubber mat - and that was it - no room for anything else. The deck does not go all around the ship - a bit up one side - a bit up the other. But hey - it was great.

Edited by dizzy1948

It was - and if it still stays that way - it's a plus. It's 10 years since we were on it - the ship hasn't "grown" in size - so it would be nice to think that it's all still there. One thing I forgot to mention (and this is where some of the money could may have been spent) - you had a KEY - a real door key - for your cabin - that tickled us. Our "on board ship account card" was a little cardboard card with our cabin number on - you showed it and that was it. I'm sure that has changed by now ;) Another thing I remember (I'm on a roll) are the wonderful cocktail bartenders - who used to "throw" the ingredients in a glass - and do flips and things with them - quite a show on it's own. I chuckled at the gym - down three steps on the pool deck, one walker/stepper, two tread mills a rubber mat - and that was it - no room for anything else. The deck does not go all around the ship - a bit up one side - a bit up the other. But hey - it was great.

I have only ever seen the gym on the ship for two reasons. One to see what the view was like from there (front of ship) and the other because I was trying to find the saunas. For me, going to the gym while cruising is a foreign concept.:D

I have only ever seen the gym on the ship for two reasons. One to see what the view was like from there (front of ship) and the other because I was trying to find the saunas. For me, going to the gym while cruising is a foreign concept.:D

GYM......I know how to spell it. Land or sea - a gym aint for me :eek: We were exploring.

The revamp photo's look terrific. The gym has "grown" a bit - the whole ship has been refurbed - more or less in the same footprint. The pool has been reshaped - it sure isn't big. You can't swim in it - but you couldn't when it was round. Looks very nice. Previously you could walk up the deck on either side of the pool bar - looking at the photo's - it appears both sides have been blocked off. Right above the pool was the "alfresco" dining (buffet) they may have closed that in - as they now advertise a buffet - no photo's for that.

Yep - beautiful little ship. :)

GYM......I know how to spell it. Land or sea - a gym aint for me :eek: We were exploring.

The revamp photo's look terrific. The gym has "grown" a bit - the whole ship has been refurbed - more or less in the same footprint. The pool has been reshaped - it sure isn't big. You can't swim in it - but you couldn't when it was round. Looks very nice. Previously you could walk up the deck on either side of the pool bar - looking at the photo's - it appears both sides have been blocked off. Right above the pool was the "alfresco" dining (buffet) they may have closed that in - as they now advertise a buffet - no photo's for that.

Yep - beautiful little ship. :)

Surely really cultured people do not swim, but bathe in the lido.:rolleyes:

That's the best thing about a good cruise, to have so many pleasant memories of it.

Of course, the question is what and how much has changed since then. I wish some other ships I'd been on had stayed the same for repeat visits!

That's the best thing about a good cruise, to have so many pleasant memories of it.

Of course, the question is what and how much has changed since then. I wish some other ships I'd been on had stayed the same for repeat visits!

Yes, I must admit I was disappointed to the changes they made to Celebrity Infinity, nothing that made it better in my opinion. However, I am sure that X loves the newer revenue streams (more cabins and specialty restaurants)from some of those changes.:rolleyes:

Here is a link to the up to date photo's

http://vmf-cruiseshipsandliners.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/cruising-on-mv-funchal-passenger.html

The foot print is the same - give or take a wall or two

Edited by dizzy1948