Which is more a must-see...Eze or Nice?

Lilystar

Hello everyone!

I'm going on NCL Epic in August and deciding between a couple excursions. Monaco is a must for me, but I do have the option to take an excursion that goes to Monaco & Eze or Monaco and Nice.

I've tried to read up on as much as possible about both Eze and Nice and I just can't decide on which one appeals more to me. Can anyone whose been to either or both comment? What to expect to see etc? Either of those places have "can't miss" stuff?

Thanks for any help!!

They are two totally different kind of places. Eze Village is actually a very small walled city (population cannot be more then a few hundred during the season) that offers some excellent views of the Med since the town is on high ground. Eze has become somewhat of an arty community with a few interesting galleries as well as a bunch of smaller boutiques and shops. There are also sufficient restaurants (at least one of which is world class) and cafes.

Nice, on the other hand, is one of the largest cities in this part of France (about 350,000) and certainly has more variety to offer a tourist. Nice has a wonderful morning Flower Market (everyday but Monday) where there are lots of interesting food products as well as the Flora. It also has a pretty famous Promanade that is Nice's example of a boardwalk and also has a decent old town area (this is where they have the Flower Market). DW and I often like to enjoy a long lunch at one of the outdoor cafes in Old Town (many of these are in the same area (Cours Selaya) as the Flower Market. Another good point for Nice is that the city has nearly 2 dozen museums, some of which are quite decent. One could spend an entire day in the Nice area, but we think Eze is only worthy of a few hours (at most).

Hank

If I were choosing in which one to spend a few days holiday it would be Nice, but as a half day tour it would be Eze.

Having been to both on cruise calls (as well as a short break in Nice), it is our diy excursion to Eze which has left me with the most lasting impression and lovely memories. It is just so pretty and charming, and the views from the tropical garden (there was a small admission charge- well worth it) at the top of the village are just amazing.

Hank is right- after a couple of hours you will have seen everything, and have nothing more to do than sit in a delightful café enjoying a drink in glorious surroundings. As a partner to Monaco, I can think of nothing better!

kate

Thank you both for your responses. I knew that Eze and Nice weren't to be compared necessarily but which one for a first time visitor to France, would be a better choice. Since this is an NCL excursion that also visits Monaco, there won't be a ton of time in either place really. So even if there is only an hour or 2 worth of things to see in Eze, that's really all the time we're going to have anyway.

It seems as though there are good points to both really. I'm getting the idea that Nice might give me more of a taste of France than Eze would. Even though I've heard of the wonderful views from there. I'm kind of leaning toward Nice I think, but who knows, I could change my mind in 5 minutes!

We were in the South of France for several weeks at the end of last year and spent some time in both Nice and Eze. They are completely different. Nice is more "modern" France, whereas Eze is more "medieval" France - and fascinating. Only my opinion - of course

Nice is also quite large and I don't think 2 hours would do it justice. Whereas you could certainly explore most of Eze in that time. There are quaint little shops and eateries built into the rock - like caves. But, make sure that you pay the extra few euros to go into the cactus garden. That's where you will see the magnificent views.

Thank you both for your responses.

I knew that Eze and Nice weren't to be compared necessarily but which one for a first time visitor to France, would be a better choice. Since this is an NCL excursion that also visits Monaco, there won't be a ton of time in either place really. So even if there is only an hour or 2 worth of things to see in Eze, that's really all the time we're going to have anyway.

It seems as though there are good points to both really. I'm getting the idea that Nice might give me more of a taste of France than Eze would. Even though I've heard of the wonderful views from there. I'm kind of leaning toward Nice I think, but who knows, I could change my mind in 5 minutes!

Both Nice and Eze are wonderful places to visit so you can't go wrong whatever you decide.

If you are interested in a taste of France, I would choose Nice. You will not have time to visit any museums, but you will have time to stroll the seaside promenade, and explore a few shops in the old part of town, and also enjoy the park and fountains in the middle of town. It was interesting to see people enjoying their city, kids playing in the water spray, riding the carousel, people of all ages chatting in groups in the park, and Policeman on segways.

Guess I need to further muddy the waters and mention one of our favorite places in the south of France. It is St Paul de Vence which we think blows Eze out of the water (so to speak). St Paul does not have the sea views of Eze, but the walled city has many more decent art galleries, restaurants, cafes, etc. And we love driving out into the countryside. The problem for many cruisers is that there is no easy way to get to St Paul de Vence with public transit (we usually have a rental car). Our love of this town started many years ago (when it was less touristy) when we asked a French entertainer (on our ship) where we should go on a Sunday, while docked in Nice. He quickly suggested St Paul de Vence and we have loved the place ever since. There is a café just outside the walls where there is a Boule court and on Sunday mornings the local Boule players are usually out in force. If we are in the area we run to that café to enjoy their game playing and it just seems to set the atmosphere for the entire day.

Hank

Guess I need to further muddy the waters and mention one of our favorite places in the south of France. It is St Paul de Vence which we think blows Eze out of the water (so to speak).

Unfortunately there isn't an excursion that goes to both St Paul de Vence and Monaco, otherwise I would consider it. Monaco is on my must see list this time around.

Here's something I just thought about....if I go to Nice...is there a place I can get a good authentic crepe?? THAT would be something that would make my whole day!

Unfortunately there isn't an excursion that goes to both St Paul de Vence and Monaco, otherwise I would consider it. Monaco is on my must see list this time around.

Here's something I just thought about....if I go to Nice...is there a place I can get a good authentic crepe?? THAT would be something that would make my whole day!

We did the Nice/Monaco on your own tour with RCCL. In Nice the drop you off in Old Town near flower market and beaches. Many sidewalk cafés. Us you can walk the beach promenade or even go in the ocean like we did. In Monaco they drop you off at the parking garage right in Monaco. You take the elevator up. You are right next to the aquarium. It is a tiny place. Walk through the botanical gardens. Visit the palace and watch the changing of the guards also visit the cathedral. We didn't care to go to the Monte Carlo side.

Creperie's are pretty much a dime a dozen throughout France. I know there is more then one in the old town and would assume there are quite a few others scattered throughout the city. As a general rule, a crepe that is filled with food, cheese, etc. is called a Galette while a dessert crepe is called a crepe. We just returned from more then a month in France and had more then our share of these things because they are a reasonably priced meal. In fact, our last meal in France (near CDG airport) was at a pretty well known place in Roissy called Aux Trois Gourmands where DW and I enjoyed galettes for dinner and a salted caramel crepe for dessert (yummy).

Hank

Creperie's are pretty much a dime a dozen throughout France. I know there is more then one in the old town and would assume there are quite a few others scattered throughout the city. As a general rule, a crepe that is filled with food, cheese, etc. is called a Galette while a dessert crepe is called a crepe. We just returned from more then a month in France and had more then our share of these things because they are a reasonably priced meal. In fact, our last meal in France (near CDG airport) was at a pretty well known place in Roissy called Aux Trois Gourmands where DW and I enjoyed galettes for dinner and a salted caramel crepe for dessert (yummy).

Fabulous!!! Thank you for the explanation of the two as well. Here in Florida, we have a creperie and they call them "Savory" vs "Sweet" crepes. Glad I know the difference in France. :) Definitely putting this on my must do list!

We've been to Monaco (we actually spent several days there a few years ago) and Eze and Saint Paul de Vence. Having never been to Nice, I can only tell you this - the beauty and history and authentic culture - not to mention the views - took my breath away. To put it emotionally, Eze brought me to tears. A couple of hours is sufficient but the memories of seeing such a place may just attach themselves to your heart and soul!! I agree with Hank, go to Saint Paul de Vence one of these days. While it's similar, it's very different!!

Incidentally, we are traveling via NCL on a western mediterranean cruise in August and Cannes is our only day we are doing a DIY trip. We need more time in one of those villages!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just got back. We used Riviera Premium Tours and we able were able to visit all 3 sights and enjoy lunch. They can work with you we had an 8 person van for about 360 euros. 6 hours including an hour for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I setup the group for our Cruise Critic Roll Call and 6 people wanted to do it with us. I did book several months in advance. I had to give them a 20% deposit and then we paid the rest at the end of the tour. My contact is jerome@rivieriapremiumtour.com. They do smaller groups and there was so much interest that we actually filled three vans with 8 people in each. It was a wonderful tour.

For all Italy ports we used RomeInLimo and they were very good as well. With them you can book the whole van or just sign up and they will fill the vans, usually with other people from your cruise or other ships in port that day.

Jodi

They are two totally different kind of places. Eze Village is actually a very small walled city (population cannot be more then a few hundred during the season) that offers some excellent views of the Med since the town is on high ground. Eze has become somewhat of an arty community with a few interesting galleries as well as a bunch of smaller boutiques and shops. There are also sufficient restaurants (at least one of which is world class) and cafes.

Nice, on the other hand, is one of the largest cities in this part of France (about 350,000) and certainly has more variety to offer a tourist. Nice has a wonderful morning Flower Market (everyday but Monday) where there are lots of interesting food products as well as the Flora. It also has a pretty famous Promanade that is Nice's example of a boardwalk and also has a decent old town area (this is where they have the Flower Market). DW and I often like to enjoy a long lunch at one of the outdoor cafes in Old Town (many of these are in the same area (Cours Selaya) as the Flower Market. Another good point for Nice is that the city has nearly 2 dozen museums, some of which are quite decent. One could spend an entire day in the Nice area, but we think Eze is only worthy of a few hours (at most).

Hank

Hi, I just got back. We used Riviera Premium Tours and were able to see all three locations with no problem. They have vans that fit 8 people and the cost is about 360€. My CC Roll Call had 3 vans going. Great tour. I am going again in Oct 2015 and will definitely go to Nice over Ez. Although Ez Village was nice too.

Jodi