First time cruiser QM2 June 5th crossing

Roland787

I figured I would give an account of my experience aboard Queen Mary 2, on the westbound trans-Atlantic crossing, which departed Southampton June 5th. This crossing, was my very first experience cruising. I had been interested in QM2, since watching several documentary’s about the ship, when it was first built. We planned a trip to London and found that the timing was right, for taking the QM2 back to the states.

I was pleasantly surprised, to find the embarkation process in Southampton, to be very efficient. Being accustomed to the typical airline boarding process in the states, I feared chaos would reign, with boarding a ship holding up to 2600 passengers. Cunard boarded by lettered embarkation cards, which prevented a mass rush for the counter. The Cunard agent who checked us in, was very friendly and made the process easy.

Upon entering the ship, we were directed to the elevator bank for stairway B. There was a huge line for the bank of six elevators. Three of the elevators on the starboard side, were locked out from that deck, to allow ship’s crew to use them, for distributing passenger luggage. The other three elevators were taking a long time, as there were many mobility scooters being accommodated. Having only hand luggage, I proceeded past the elevators and took the stairs to reach my stateroom on deck 4. I think some passengers were unaware of the stairways around the corner and felt they needed to wait for the elevators. Cunard could probably do a better job of letting those who do not need the elevators, know that if they don’t mind using the stairs, they do not need to wait in line.

Upon entering my shelter balcony stateroom on deck 4, I was pleased to discover the size of the room. Never having cruised before, I had feared the bed would take up the entire stateroom. I was also pleased by the size of the shelter balcony. As I had previously read in other reviews of QM2’s shelter balcony’s, I found you have no view of the water, when seated in the patio chairs provided, due to the height of the opening in the hull. Because I already expected this, it was not a problem, but I could see it surprising people, who may be disappointed. I found the furnishings in my stateroom to all be in good condition and the bed and provided pillows proved very comfortable. The bottle of welcome Champaign that Cunard provided, was waiting on the coffee table. The bathroom was small as expected. Some reviews had described the showers as “dark caves” due to the shower curtain. I did not find the shower to be overly dark with the curtain closed. My only gripe with the bathroom, would be that the mixing valve in the shower, did not allow for as hot a shower as I like. There was plenty of hot water at the sink, so I do not believe there was any hot water shortage.

Our sail away was scheduled for 5:00pm. Our cabin attendant, directed us to go to the aft open decks for the sail away. They had a band playing and were pouring Champaign. Just before 5:00pm Captain Oprey came on the PA and announced that due to some repairs being carried out, our sail away had to be delayed by 15 minutes. The 15 minute delay caused us to miss our departure “slot” with the harbor pilot, which put us in a new departure “slot” of 6:00pm. We had an early sitting of 6:00pm in the Britannia dining room. Because I wanted to be out on deck for the sail away, I had to miss our first night in the main dining room. We tried the Kings Court Buffet instead. All of the negative comments I had previously read, about Kings Court proved dead on accurate. The serving area we wound up in was packed with people dodging each other, carrying full trays of food. We wound up having to carry trays of food through one of the stairway areas, to another section of Kings Court to find a place to sit. This was not the best first impression of QM2 dining, that Cunard could have made. After we finished eating, I discovered that the next section down, in Kings Court was serving food, but there were hardly any passengers in line there. Cunard really should have crewmembers directing passengers to the less busy sections of Kings Court, when it is busy on embarkation day. Fortunately the hotel director, has told me Kings Court will be gutted and redesigned completely, during QM2’s next dry dock. In his words, “Kings Court really lets the ship down.” I went up to Deck 13 for the sail away from Southampton. I must say, I was disappointed with the sail away. Having never been on a cruise before, I had imagined people would be excited popping Champaign bottles, but nobody seemed particularly thrilled and there was nothing going on, on deck 13.

As we entered the English Channel, I was totally blown away by how stable QM2 is. The GPS on my phone, showed we were doing 28 mile per hour and you could not feel any movement of the ship. I spent a good bit of the evening, wandering the ship exploring. The public areas of the ship, excluding Kings Court, seem well thought out. I really like QM2’s Art Deco décor. The lifts are nicely decorated. As others have noted, the windows on both the port and starboard sides of deck 3L, have water vapor trapped in between the layers of glass, partially obscuring the view. There may have been a few other windows with this problem elsewhere, but they seemed to be concentrated in the deck 3L areas. The day we were in Halifax, these windows appeared clear, but the weather was warm compared to the north Atlantic. Hopefully the windows will be fixed when the ship goes into dry dock next year. Most of the carpeting throughout the ship looked nearly new. Aside from some signs of wear and tear here and there aboard, QM2 is in very good condition.

We really enjoyed the formal nights and found the food and service in the Britannia Restaraunt to be excellent. The waiters assigned to our table 224, were excellent and provided the highest level of service I have ever experienced anywhere.

For late night snacks, we revisited Kings Court several nights and it was far more pleasant to use, when there were few other passengers there.

During the first two sea days we encountered some rough seas. QM2 is remarkably stable in rough seas. I had expected much more movement from the ship. From speaking with Captain Oprey, we went through seas of up to 21 feet. The weather was too poor, to spend much time out on deck for most of the crossing.

We particularly enjoyed the Cunard Insights lectures given by Bill Miller, about ocean liners and liner history. I had the opportunity to speak with Bill, outside of his lectures and he is a super nice guy. We also enjoyed Seth Gopin’s lectures, about NYC architecture.

I had the opportunity to take the excellent “Behind the Scenes Tour,” which I have already written about on Cruise Critic in another thread.

We enjoyed the RADA performances, as well as the Cunard Dancers and a comedian. I have heard others post critical reviews of the entertainment onboard. While everyone has differing tastes and standards, we found the onboard entertainment to be excellent.

We were most impressed by the level of service provided by the ship’s crew. QM2 is an impressive ship, but I was equally impressed with the professionalism and dedication of her crew. All of our interactions with staff were excellent. Everyone on board who I spoke with, from Captain Oprey to the crew bussing tables in Kings Court were very gracious.

As for Cunard and QM2 being absolute luxury, which has been discussed in another thread about this very sailing. I would say that QM2 far exceeded my expectations. I knew going into the crossing, that with 2600 passengers there is no way for QM2 to provide a “boutique” hotel experience, much the same way the 3000+ room 5 star Las Vegas hotels do not provide a “boutique” hotel experience. QM2 greatly exceeded the levels of service that I receive at 5 star Vegas hotels such as Bellagio and Wynn. If someone is expecting a boutique type of experience they may be disappointed. Stephen Payne, QM2’s chief designer, explained in one of his lectures about QM2’s design, that in order for QM2 to be profitable, it had to be larger than a Panamax sized ship. With the realities of high fuel costs these days, I doubt anyone will ever have regularly scheduled trans-Atlantic crossings with smaller ships, which would allow a boutique experience. I cannot fault Cunard or Carnival Corp, for wanting QM2 to be profitable. QM2 may be a bit of a compromise in some ways, but I feel that Cunard got it right.

I would find it very difficult not to have a great time aboard QM2. I’m experiencing QM2 withdrawal as we speak. I look forward to planning my next sailing aboard QM2.

I would like to thank Captain Oprey and all of QM2’s fine crew, for an unforgettable wonderful, first cruise!

Thanks, Roland787, for taking the time to write the crossing report you shared with us. Glad, but not surprised, to read that you are now hooked on QM2. I was especially delighted to rediscover my favorite ship through your "new" eyes.

... Like you once I'm home I start looking to book something else.

Catherine

By the way, folks, there can be advantages to booking your next QM2 cruise whilst enjoying your present one. Visiting the Voyage Sales Office near the Royal Court Theatre entrance port side on Deck 2 may yield reduced deposits and additional OBCs for next time.

Hi Roland. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I really appreciate that you researched your voyage prior to sailing, and then sailed with realistic expectations. Also, I must compliment on your taking a trans-Atlantic crossing as your first voyage. That takes guts! Oh, and I agree with you about Kings Court later at night: a midnight cup of tea and a slice of cake while seating in a alcove looking out at the mist falling on the dimly lighted Promenade deck while the ship quiets down, but the ocean roars...

By the way, folks, there can be advantages to booking your next QM2 cruise whilst enjoying your present one. Visiting the Voyage Sales Office near the Royal Court Theatre entrance port side on Deck 2 may yield reduced deposits and additional OBCs for next time.

Nice tip thanks.

Catherine

Hi Roland. Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I really appreciate that you researched your voyage prior to sailing, and then sailed with realistic expectations. Also, I must compliment on your taking a trans-Atlantic crossing as your first voyage. That takes guts! Oh, and I agree with you about Kings Court later at night: a midnight cup of tea and a slice of cake while seating in a alcove looking out at the mist falling on the dimly lighted Promenade deck while the ship quiets down, but the ocean roars...

Hi Salacia, Our first trip on QM2 was a TA five years ago. I simply loved it, we have had a few voyages with Cunard since. Can't wait to experience a B2B in August. I enjoy the sail away especially when it's for New York.

Catherine

A good report. I was also on this crossing and on the return to Southampton.

A few notes from my experience.

The first day was not especially a good one. First of all my card didn’t work to open my room door (as we noticed so didn’t some other people’s cards). So a trip down to the purser’s office was needed. I read somewhere that one of the reasons the cards will not work is if they had been in contact with another card. The woman at the cruise terminal had given one of us both cards together touching!

When we came to unpack, there were no hangers at all in the small wardrobe. Our steward wasn't around so I had to ask another to find him.

When we went to the Britannia restaurant mid afternoon to find our table for two, we discovered it was only about four inches away from the next table for two. (Unlike last year when our table for two was about two feet away from the next one). This to us was more like being given a table for four. So a trip to see the maitre d’ was required where we told him that we had booked this cruise almost a year ago which we understood meant that we would easily get a table for two. He didn't seem to understand this and told us if we wanted a table for two not so close to another, we should have let him know in advance. We later got a phone message and a new table number card under the door to give us our new table number.

So all problems solved. :)

There were quite a lot of pot-holes (or whatever you call them) under the carpets all over the ship which we don’t remember noticing so much on our trip on the QM2 last July.

There were quite a lot of dogs on these crossings but perhaps there always are? Their owners were allowed to walk their dogs through public areas of the ship. We even saw one woman take her small dog into the King’s Court!

Even though there was a notice at the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant asking people not to cut through it to get to the Queens Room, people still did this. Most noticeably a couple dressed in cotton casuals on the first formal night.

On disembarkation we were allowed to keep our room cards after they had been swiped. There was a notice up telling us this. This is the first time we have been allowed to do this.

We particularly enjoyed the Cunard Insights lectures given by Bill Miller, about ocean liners and liner history. I had the opportunity to speak with Bill, outside of his lectures and he is a super nice guy. We also enjoyed Seth Gopin’s lectures, about NYC architecture.

We also very much enjoyed former astronaut Jeff Hoffman! :)

There were quite a lot of dogs on these crossings but perhaps there always are? Their owners were allowed to walk their dogs through public areas of the ship. We even saw one woman take her small dog into the King’s Court!
I believe that is reserved for "personal therapy dogs" or the like (at least in theory). Not a run of the mill pet.

A good report. I was also on this crossing and on the return to Southampton.

A few notes from my experience.

The first day was not especially a good one. First of all my card didn’t work to open my room door (as we noticed so didn’t some other people’s cards). So a trip down to the purser’s office was needed. I read somewhere that one of the reasons the cards will not work is if they had been in contact with another card. The woman at the cruise terminal had given one of us both cards together touching!

When we came to unpack, there were no hangers at all in the small wardrobe. Our steward wasn't around so I had to ask another to find him.

When we went to the Britannia restaurant mid afternoon to find our table for two, we discovered it was only about four inches away from the next table for two. (Unlike last year when our table for two was about two feet away from the next one). This to us was more like being given a table for four. So a trip to see the maitre d’ was required where we told him that we had booked this cruise almost a year ago which we understood meant that we would easily get a table for two. He didn't seem to understand this and told us if we wanted a table for two not so close to another, we should have let him know in advance. We later got a phone message and a new table number card under the door to give us our new table number.

So all problems solved. :)

There were quite a lot of pot-holes (or whatever you call them) under the carpets all over the ship which we don’t remember noticing so much on our trip on the QM2 last July.

Even though there was a notice at the entrance to the Britannia Restaurant asking people not to cut through it to get to the Queens Room, people still did this. Most noticeably a couple dressed in cotton casuals on the first formal night.

On disembarkation we were allowed to keep our room cards after they had been swiped. There was a notice up telling us this. This is the first time we have been allowed to do this.

We also very much enjoyed former astronaut Jeff Hoffman! :)

Hi Ray. Thanks for your report. Glad to read that you and Mrs. Ray returned home safely.

Regarding the 'pot holes': ut-oh, I know what you mean...those pot holes got seriously bad before the last re-fit. Apparently, the last fix wasn't a cure. I wonder what the problem is?

Also, I didn't realize until you mentioned about the key cards being d-magnitized if kept together. That explains what why our key card didn't work: On a voyage at check-in, the clerk handed my husband both key cards together, which is what you described. When we trekked to our cabin, neither key card worked. He went to the Pursar Desk to get a new card while I waited in front of our cabin with our various carry on bags.

Happily, a cabin steward (not our cabin steward) happened to be walking by and inquired if I needed assistance. I think that is an example of good security, and excellent service response by a crew member who just happened to be walking down the corridor. I explained that neither my husband's key card or mine would open the stateroom door, and that I was waiting for my husband to return from the Pursar Office. The cabin steward asked me for identification, so I showed him my passport, NY driver's license, copy of of booking ticket and my most sincere New York smile. So he opened the door for me, and moments later, our cabin steward dropped by to introduce himself (no doubt, a good double-check). Hubby returned from the Pursar Office with two functional key cards about 20 minutes later, just at the time that our luggage was being delivered.

Regarding cutting through Britannia Restaurant to get to the Queens Room, that seems to go the long way around? Or is there a short cut through the MDR?

Thanks, Ray, for your report. Again, sorry about the weather in NY. Please come back again when you have more time.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Regarding cutting through Britannia Restaurant to get to the Queens Room, that seems to go the long way around? Or is there a short cut through the MDR? ...

As you know, the port side 3L corridor (Images) and the starboard side 3L corridor (Gallery) exist on QM2 to provide that very path around the Britannia Restaurant between the C elevators and the D elevators.

As you know, the port side 3L corridor (Images) and the starboard side 3L corridor (Gallery) exist on QM2 to provide that very path around the Britannia Restaurant between the C elevators and the D elevators.

Yes, that is the path I have taken. Can't say I'd find it either convenient or pleasant to trek through the MDR (especially when wearing high heeled shoes!):eek:

Edited by Salacia

Here's a photo I took looking up at the ceiling above the mural of the QM2 where there are atrium cabins either side. You can see there is some peeling away of the ceiling covering. I don't know if this can be fixed immediately or whether they will have to wait until the refit next year? I also wonder if the pot-holes have to wait until then or can they be fixed any time?

4ih5dy.jpg

Here's a photo I took looking up at the ceiling above the mural of the QM2 where there are atrium cabins either side. You can see there is some peeling away of the ceiling covering. I don't know if this can be fixed immediately or whether they will have to wait until the refit next year? I also wonder if the pot-holes have to wait until then or can they be fixed any time?

Would that be the former "glass floor"? Too bad it was taken out because at times some natural light would enter the atrium.

Hi Salacia, Our first trip on QM2 was a TA five years ago. I simply loved it, we have had a few voyages with Cunard since. Can't wait to experience a B2B in August. I enjoy the sail away especially when it's for New York.

Catherine

Hi North east girl. Maybe someday when the time and tides permit, I will follow your lead and experience a trans-Alantic crossing on QM2. I would not consider a crossing on any other ship - only an ocean liner would due, and there is only one. Happy sails, -S.

P.S. Any information I can supply regarding your day in NY, I would be happy to provide.

Edited by Salacia

Hi North east girl. Maybe someday when the time and tides permit, I will follow your lead and experience a trans-Alantic crossing on QM2. I would not consider a crossing on any other ship - only an ocean liner would due, and there is only one. Happy sails, -S.

P.S. Any information I can supply regarding your day in NY, I would be happy to provide.

Thanks Salacia, I'm waiting to board before booking a Cunard excursion, I'm worried we might not get back on time if we go it alone.

It has took us 5 years to do a B2B, our first TA was for our silver wedding. This was westbound, we stayed in New York for 3 days then flew back home. Really looking forward to this one.

Catherine

I just remembered something else that happened on the return crossing and this was one day when we were sat on chairs at the rear of deck 7 watching the wake when a young man appeared playing an accordion. He hung around for quite a while playing many tunes without stopping and then wandered off round the deck still playing. It was wonderful. I guess he was just a passenger but thank you to that man, it was most enjoyable.

Edited by Ray66

Thanks Salacia, I'm waiting to board before booking a Cunard excursion, I'm worried we might not get back on time if we go it alone.

It has took us 5 years to do a B2B, our first TA was for our silver wedding. This was westbound, we stayed in New York for 3 days then flew back home. Really looking forward to this one.

Catherine

Hi Catherine. I understand your concerns about getting back on board in time, and why you would want to book a Cunard tour. If only Cunard had more tours on offer - there is so much to see...well, anyway, I can suggest sights close to the port, if desired. Also, I will check local events and post that information here if you want to mention when you will be in NYC.

A B2B sounds very exciting. I wish you and your Mr a very happy voyage.

Edited by Salacia