Shuttles from POA to places in Maui

carsaw

We will be on the POA in October and the first day in Maui we are renting a car for sightseeing around the island. The second day we are not sure what to do, would possible like to go to a beach for a few hours but don't want to spend all day there. If there are shuttles from the cruise port to shopping etc... we may do that instead since the cost of keeping a car for a few hours or going on an excursion most of the day seems like a waste. Does anyone know if there are shuttles for cruise passengers to go anywhere? We have everything planned except the second day in Maui. :)

Last year, summer, there was a shuttle to Hilo Hatties, which is on the other side of the Island, and a van shuttle to a shopping mall near the pier.

You can also do the ship "tour" for a ride to the other side of the Island for a small price, but it is from 9am to about 3pm.

I do not remember much ever being available at this port, other than tours.

Chuck

I would keep the car for the second day and enjoy a leisurely day of more sightseeing, plus a beach or two, and possibly some shopping. The cost to keep the car shouldn't be that much and it's really good value for what you'll get out of it.

We are going in September and originally only reserved the car for day one. Then we called back and added the second day when we realized how much more we could do and see with a car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All aboard the last day in Maui is not until 5:30. Plenty of time for a full day of site seeing and return of the car to the airport, which is very near the port. Just don't miss the last shuttle to port.

Our plans for the second Maui day are to drive to Kaanapali Beach. You pass Lahaina on the way if you want to check that out. On Kaanapali you park at the Whalers Village shopping area, and walk through to the beach. There are great open air restaurants like Kimo's right on the beach for lunch. So you can combine shopping, beach and lunch all in one location.

Places to consider on your second day - a drive up to Nakalele Blowhole (very scenic drive!) - stop at Kapalua Coastal Trail (free parking in a couple of beach parking lots there), swimming at beautiful Napili Bay, Kahekili Beach Park - beautiful beach/good snorkelling/large (free) parking lot. Here's what the route looks like from Kahului.

I put Nakalele as the first stop, and then working backwards, as that puts the furthest stop first.

South Maui would be another choice for a fun day of exploring, plus beach time.

Thanks for the responses. After reading them I rented the car for another day since that sounds like the best option. Think we would be too restricted with a shore excursion. Can't wait for our first trip to Hawaii :D

Does anyone that has cruised recently know where to park the car overnight and the cost?

Edited by carsaw

Thanks for the responses. After reading them I rented the car for another day since that sounds like the best option. Think we would be too restricted with a shore excursion. Can't wait for our first trip to Hawaii :D

Does anyone that has cruised recently know where to park the car overnight and the cost?

After searching the boards I found the answers to the parking questions.

• 3 months later...

Can someone please advise if there is a shuttle or some kind of transport, perhaps a city bus or a taxi that can take you to town / Kanapali Beach / Royal Lahaina, etc. ? Don't want to be restricted to the tour in Maui, yet don't want to be renting a car either.

Can someone please advise if there is a shuttle or some kind of transport, perhaps a city bus or a taxi that can take you to town / Kanapali Beach / Royal Lahaina, etc. ? Don't want to be restricted to the tour in Maui, yet don't want to be renting a car either.

Are you coming ashore at Lahaina? If so, you right in town, no need for any transport there.

As to Kaanapali, there is a bus, and taxis will be available.

After searching the boards I found the answers to the parking questions.

Just off the POA last weekend; so you know, the "secure" lot is fairly small... sorry, I didn't count how many spaces there were. To park there, you'll pass through port security and the parking area will be to your left. The surrounding area around the port is fairly industrial, so if the lot is full, I'm not sure where you can park. No doubt one of the security guards can point you in the right direction.

CruiserBruce,

Yes, it says "Lahaina" with the tender required. Thank you for pointing it out. So, if we want to go somewhere from that point, we should be able to. Right?

Where are you talking about going? Again, there is a bus, or taxi, for Kaanapali. But the town of Lahaina has lots of shopping, restaurants and a few other fun things to do.

Just off the POA last weekend; so you know, the "secure" lot is fairly small... sorry, I didn't count how many spaces there were. To park there, you'll pass through port security and the parking area will be to your left. The surrounding area around the port is fairly industrial, so if the lot is full, I'm not sure where you can park. No doubt one of the security guards can point you in the right direction.

The lot next to the ship was full when we returned on our first day in Maui. We were informed by the guard at the entry and he gave good directions to the overflow area which is just down the street. There is security there as well, and a walkway back to the ship which is well lit and entirely fenced in, so no worries.

Where are you talking about going? Again, there is a bus, or taxi, for Kaanapali. But the town of Lahaina has lots of shopping, restaurants and a few other fun things to do.

Thank you. I am not sure yet exactly, but thinking of going to Kanapali Beach or perhaps take a short private tour that will include the beach. Then browse around in Lahaina.