Stanley Park - Walking

I have been doing a lot of posting over on the Alaska boards for our upcoming cruise. Someone mentioned posting questions about Vancouver on the Canada board, and I thought..."what a bright idea!" :rolleyes:

DH and I are staying at the Westin Bayshore. We arrive on Sunday afternoon and plan to take the Vancouver Trolley Sunset on Grouse Mountain tour. (If anyone wants to recommend a place for dinner close to our hotel, that would be awesome too. :D Might just have dessert up top. Need time for the other activities.)

Anyway, in the morning, I was thinking we could just walk around Stanley Park. The hotel seems to be about a half-mile away, but thought I could get the shuttle to drop us off at the entrance, saving a few minutes. If we walk at a leisurely pace, about how long would it take to cover the south-eastern portion of the park? Does the park have "hours"?

Since I would like to be back at the hotel by 10:30 am, I know I am limited to only a few hours of walking. Another idea...how early does the free shuttle start running in the park? How often does it come around? Is it really crowded, where I might have to wait for a second shuttle to have room to ride?

If we only do the south-eastern section of the park, will we be missing any of the "not to be missed" sights?

For those of you reading this that are local to Vancouver, just let me say we have already decided we must return to Vancouver as our destination in the near future. I am very impressed with what I have read and seen (in pictures) of your beautiful city! I wish we had more time to take it all in. This will be just a taste of all the wonders we will see and great things we will do on our future trip!

TIA,

From the Bayshore you really don't need a shuttle. By the time it pulls out of the parking lot and back into the park, you'd be there. At a fairly brisk pace, you can completely circle the park and be back at your hotel in two hours. You go all around the seawall and cut back through at Second Beach on the other side where the pool is. There's a path that brings you back to the side that the Westin is on running along lost lagoon.

Thanks! How early can we start walking? 7:30 am too early??

Is it safe to cut through the middle of the park on one of the trails? From pictures, the park looks pretty flat. Is this true? Are the trails like hiking trails or are they paved walkways?

The Park doesn't close so by 7:30 am, there should be quite a few joggers out there. It's perfectly save to walk on that trail (i'm using the word trail very loosely). The trail actually follows the road that cuts through. I think the actually walkway is probably pebble or barchmulk, but it's very flat.

Assuming you're not a female walking by yourself (use the same precautions you would in any major city)- the trails are very safe.

If you start out at 7:30 am, you should have time to get all the way around the park, including stops to look at the totems, Rose Garden, Prospect Point, etc. depending on your interest. I'd do a complete circuit of the seawall starting from the Westin around (counterclockwise) to Second Beach/EnglishBay.

Here's a good Map of Stanley Park to help you get a better idea of park size and distance to help you decide what to see/not see.

ell

Thanks so much to both of you!

Ell - I love this map! This morning I spent some time cropping and sizing it so I could put it on a page to take with us. One side is the colored map, then on the other side I printed the legends. I also printed the pdf version, but it's just not as pretty. :D

One more question...if we decide to do the full seawall, is it worth it to cut in and do the loop around Beaver Lake?

Thanks again!!!!

I don't think you'll have enough time to do a loop of Beaver Lake - especially if you plan on making stops at the totems and Prospect Point - which I highly recommend. Prospect Point is a good midway spot to have a snack or drink break. You get a terrific view of the North Shore mountains and Lions Gate Bridge from there.

Have you thought of renting bikes? You'll cover a lot more ground, faster and might not be as tiring.

I have considered this a possibility as well. I have read there is a place to rent them right at the entrance on Georgia. Think they would be open that early? Any idea of the cost?

I haven't been on a bicycle in 10 years, other than the stationary variety. They say "it's like riding a bicycle" so I guess I should remember how, right? :o Mostly flat, right?

Regarding Prospect Point, it looks like you have to take a different trail off of the seawall to get to the lookout. Is this accurate? Is the view still great from the seawall without going to the lookout?

I know...lots of questions. I really do appreciate the answers and the ideas!!!

Regarding Prospect Point, it looks like you have to take a different trail off of the seawall to get to the lookout. Is this accurate? Is the view still great from the seawall without going to the lookout?

Oops, forgot about that. You'll still have a nice view, but you'll pass under the Lion's Gate if you stay on the seawall.

I have a feeling the bike rentals may not open until 8:30 or 9am - so maybe too late for you? Do a Google search for Bayshore Bike rentals or Spokes Bike Rentals to check their times and prices.

We are leaving Wednesday Aug 10, and are going to rent bikes with Spokes the morning of our departure. They have a 90-minute organized bike tour at 0900, which includes bike rental. This should get you back to Canada Place by 1030-1100...plenty early for embarkation. Here's the link...

http://www.vancouverbikerental.com/tours.html

Archived