Why 2 days at Papeete?

PC Skier

We are taking a cruise in the fall and our last stop before cruising back to LA is Papeete for 2 days. I am wondering why the cruise line scheduled 2 days there since my research shows that it is the least liked stop on the cruise. Our other stops are the Hawaiian islands, Samoan islands, Bora Bora, and Moorea. Does any one have an answer? Thank you in advance.

Tahiti is dramatically beautiful and you should rent a car and tour the island. Maybe also take a 4x4 tour across the interior. It's true there aren't the white beaches but black sand beaches have their own beauty and, in fact, the beach at Matavai Bay is fabulous and boasts a stunning view. I also love Papeete - it has a real cosmopolitan vibe. I usually stay about 3 to 4 days in Tahiti.

Here are some photos of mine:

Edited by Fletcher

Tahiti is dramatically beautiful and you should rent a car and tour the island. Maybe also take a 4x4 tour across the interior. It's true there aren't the white beaches but black sand beaches have their own beauty and, in fact, the beach at Matavai Bay is fabulous and boasts a stunning view. I also love Papeete - it has a real cosmopolitan vibe. I usually stay about 3 to 4 days in Tahiti.

Here are some photos of mine:

Some 'fun' pictures there Fletch, thanks for sharing/

Yes, the interior of the island is breathtaking, by all means take a 4X4 tour of the interior, very few do and miss out.

We've been to this port 3 times in the past, in 2004, 2008 and 2011 and will be there again this fall on the Crown. Each time we were in Papeete we arrived from Moorea about 9:00 p.m. and immediately they began restocking the ship, crates of fruit, veggies and all the supplies that it takes to feed and care for a large ship was onloaded overnight and all day the next day until departure at 5:00 p.m.

The short evening cruise from Moorea to Papeete has always been very enjoyable and the perfect time to sit on your balcony watching the lights of Papeete as you arrive. If you haven't done this cruise before you will love it.

Sissy

Edited by SissyG

You could spend the night on Moorea and take the ferry to Papeete the next day before the ship leaves. Just a thought. Our ship did the opposite. Arrived at Papeete one day and early the next morning she came over to Moorea (where we were staying in an OWB) It was a great way to wake up and see the ship coming to get you. hehe!!

Attached is a pic I took of her coming from our OWB

2132366390_rotterdammoorea.jpg.780c79f5b212d04bec69a1808a664645.jpg

Because of our flight schedule we have two days before getting on the cruise and two days after the cruise. We are renting a car for two days before the cruise and taking an interior tour on one of the days after the cruise. What should we do for the other day we have open? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steph

Papeete is awesome. I always stay 2-4 days pre or post a cruise. The people who don't like the stop are short sighted as the interior is amazing as is the general ambience of downtown. Don't expect Paris!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

What should we do for the other day we have open? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steph

Have you been to Moorea yet? Take the ferry over and do s.th. you didn't do there before. If you did a lagoon tour, do a land tour on Moorea or vice versa.