Bears in early Sept?

go4ak

I am planning a cruise on the Crown Princess in 2015 - early September and are considering the Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition in Ketchikan. It says it's a "drive to" viewing reserve where bears can be seen catching/eating salmon.

From what I read the bears are most visible in July and August. I know they don't go by the calendar... but what do you think the odds are that bears are still out and about going into September?

Does anyone have experience with this excursion?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about the tour you are inquiring about but in the Homer area/Katmai, early Sept is the time to see more bears in one place than just about any other time (Brooks in July is another). The silver salmon are coming in and the bears are power feeding to get ready for winter. They literally spend all day in the ocean catching fish, with short breaks for naps along the beach. Bears, bears everywhere.

It may be just slightly too late in SE Alaska where the salmon seasons are just a little earlier usually (by a week or so). One of the locals can probably give you a better idea if the salmon have already spawned in SE Alaska.

Edited by greatam

This is the zip line/Rainforest Sanctuary area near Herring Cove. It is NOT a given to see bears there. And in my opinion, the tours are too short to give yourself more chance. I haven't had good luck in this area- which I've driven too when I had a lot of "down time". IF bears are a priority then you need to consider a fly in to Traitor's Cove or maybe Neet's Bay, where the sighting stats are far more successful.