American Independence Day -- July 4th

guitarboy53

We've been on Maasdam a few times over July 4th and I don't remember there being anything special nor would I expect there to be.

It's an international manifest and only a holiday for those from U.S.

There was a big party one year when it was a sea day. We had an afternoon cook-out at the Lido pool, fun & games for prizes, and lots of music. A really fun time. :D

Most of the passengers were Americans. But that was several years ago, and things may have changed. :(

There had also been a smaller Canada Day party for the Canadians a few days before.

I recall reading on these boards that one ship was done up in red, white and blue. Although it was noted that those are also the colors of the Dutch flag. We will be aboard on the 4th, and will try to remember to report back.

• 4 weeks later...

Fresh off the Noordam a few days ago. I wanted to update this post.

Holland America did a great job decorating the Lido deck in red, white and blue for the 4th. They had lots of games set up and it kind of felt like a cookout. All of this done in the middle of the Mediterranean :)

Since I've been living abroad outside the US for the past few years, it was nice to be able to celebrate the 4th in style with many new and fun friends!

Happy cruising!

Fresh off the Noordam a few days ago. I wanted to update this post.

Holland America did a great job decorating the Lido deck in red, white and blue for the 4th. They had lots of games set up and it kind of felt like a cookout. All of this done in the middle of the Mediterranean :)

Since I've been living abroad outside the US for the past few years, it was nice to be able to celebrate the 4th in style with many new and fun friends!

Happy cruising!

Nice to hear, thanks for the update.

A couple of years ago we were on an Alaska cruise over the 4th. They had a huge cookout around the Lido pool with steaks, hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, apple pie, potato salad, etc. They decorate with red, white and blue and the chefs and wait staff work blue jeans, and cowboy hats.