Heads Up If you Have to Get Off Early!

We were recently on the Vision cruise to Bermuda and because of a family emergency, had to debark in Charleston, our first port. For some reason, I thought it would be a simple procedure since we boarded in the USA and got off in the USA, with no foreign ports of call in between. Nope. That's not the way it works!

We got word about 8 p.m. on our first sea day that we'd need to fly home the next day. Upset of course, but emergencies happen and all is well now that we are home. I - for some reason - thought that we could just "check out" as though we were in a hotel once we arrived in Charleston. We got up early, I booked an 11 a.m. flight on AA, we got packed and I went downstairs about 7 a.m. to tell Guest Services that we were leaving. Not so fast! I was told that Charleston was not a "regular port" and that we not only would have to pay $600 in order to get off early, but we would not be allowed off until we were interviewed by a customs agent. No problem - our passports were in order - however, it turns out that there were 4 others that would be leaving early and that the customs agent was not scheduled to be there until 9 a.m. "But we have an 11 a.m. flight!" Too bad - that's when they are coming and the port is only 20 minutes from the airport so you'll have "plenty" of time -- ha!

(By the way, I got a refund of about $460 for shore excursions, so the $600 was reduced to $140 - kind of …??)

Anyway, we went and had breakfast at the Windjammer and showed back up at Guest Services with our 4 suitcases at 8:45 a.m., ready for our personal interview with Customs. The other 4 passengers were there as well and two of them also had 11 a.m. flights.

At 9:05 a.m., we started getting anxious. We were told that "they were on the way" and in fact they finally showed up at 9:20 a.m. Our interview went smoothly and we were finally allowed to leave and shared a cab to the airport with 2 of the others ($20 PER PERSON to get from the port to the Charleston airport - can you spell R-I-P-O-F-F?)

We got to check in with our bags about 9:55 a.m. for our 11 a.m. flight and turns out, despite having a confirmation #, AA had not issued the "tickets" yet and therefore we could not be checked in. I called and sat on hold for 20 minutes and the tickets finally came through, but not in time to check our bags. Next flight available (we were using airline miles) was not until 7:40 p.m., but the agent told us she could get us on stand by for the 12:40 flight. The AA agent says the "tickets" should be issued within the hour, but nope. Still hadn't come through by 1 pm. so we missed that flight too.

So we're on the 7:40 p.m. flight from Charleston to DFW, connecting in Charlotte. We decide to make the best of it and take another $40 cab ride back into downtown, go to Magnolias for lunch (that I heard about through cruise critic) and explore the downtown area. Lunch was great, loved the downtown area, took a carriage ride, then another $40 cab ride back to the airport for our 7:40 p.m. flight --- but the connecting flight in Charlotte was cancelled because of bad weather --- and it wasn't cancelled until almost 10 p.m. so we wasted a lot of time at the airport watching monitors and hearing announcements.

But no big deal - our bags were retrieved and we headed to the Double Tree - free shuttle this time but had to pay for the room + dinner.

Back to the airport the next day for our noon flight to DFW, which was delayed until 1:30 -- but we finally made it home safe and sound, but sad that we missed the cruise.

Lessons learned: 1) Don't assume you "know everything." You can't just "get off" the ship. 2) Don't assume that it's "free" to get off if you have to do so. 3) Don't assume you can make an early flight home. 4) Call or check with Guest Services immediately if you have an emergency arise -- we could have avoided a lot of additional stress if we had done so. I could have booked the 12:40 flight instead of the 11 a.m. flight. Etc., Etc., Etc.

Like I said, our family emergency turned out OK and all is well and although we are disappointed we didn't get to go on our cruise (and we booked it at the last minute so had no insurance), it's one of life's little bumps in the road. Hope this post helps others in the future!

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience.

I am so glad that everything is now okay with your family, and sorry that you had to miss your cruise.

Getting on in one US port and getting off in other violates the PVSA, commonly referred to as the Jones Act. That's the source of the $300 pp fine.

Best of luck on your next cruise!

:)

For further enlightenment: Click here: PVSA

Edited by Merion_Mom

Glad to hear that everything eventually worked out and things are ok at home. You cannot get on in the US and get off at a different port in the US, I believe the cruise line is fined a few hundred dollars per person.

Edited by dacsmom

I know it is frustrating... and I know that it is hindsight to suggest that you always obtain insurance, even on last minute bookings. Our main concern is medical evacuation, if needed, and we always obtain insurance, just in case, and we often book last minute cruises.

Also, I know people that have never read the cruise contract, but I do suggest you read it if you sail again. Although you know the impact and problems on leaving the ship early, there are other little glitches that can come into play.

Finally, it is a difficult situation, when deciding to leave a ship. My husband was seriously ill and rushed to the hospital the first day of a cruise that I was on with my elderly mother. Our first stop was CocoCay. No chance of getting off the ship there. The ship worked with me to try to get off and on a plane from St. Martin. Unfortunately, the airlines couldn't guarantee me a seat until 2 days afterwards. By then, I'd be almost through the cruise. I'd get to Miami in time to drive to Port Canaveral and pick up mom at the port on the way home. So, I had to stay on the ship. It all worked out okay, but the ship worked with me on phone calls and trying to get flights. They also offered me an additional discount on the phone calls to the hospital and neighbors that were taking care of our home and dogs. So, in the future, and I hope it never happens again, always let the ship know if there is a problem as soon as possible. They are the experts in handling and assisting emergency situations.

I hope you are able to make it to Bermuda on a future cruise...

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience.

I am so glad that everything is now okay with your family, and sorry that you had to miss your cruise.

Getting on in one US port and getting off in other violates the PVSA, commonly referred to as the Jones Act. That's the source of the $300 pp fine.

Best of luck on your next cruise!

For further enlightenment: Click here: PVSA

The PVSA is NOT the Jones Act. The PVSA is the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 and the Jones act is the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 and deals specifically with transportation of cargo.

The PVSA is NOT the Jones Act. The PVSA is the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 and the Jones act is the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 and deals specifically with transportation of cargo.

My point was (and is) that many people call this issue "The Jones Act" when in fact they mean the PVSA.

If one is researching the issue, one needs to be aware of that.

I'm not sure what the name of the "Act" was, but the immigration-guy told me the $600 dis-embarkment fee was a Charleston-requirement related to a law that had been on the books since 1812.:eek:

I'm not sure what the name of the "Act" was, but the immigration-guy told me the $600 dis-embarkment fee was a Charleston-requirement related to a law that had been on the books since 1812.:eek:

Not the "$600" part - but the paying a tariff to get off at that port part.

Although you had a harder time than you would have liked, I am glad things eventually worked out.

So, in an emergency, I wonder what would happen if you got off the ship with a tote bag, backpack, whatever, of stuff you absolutely needed and simply did not get back on again. What would the cruise line do with your luggage? Would they fine you the $300 to get it back? Cruise ships leave people behind in ports all the time. It's not like they send out a search party for them. How would the ship authorities know the pax did not "miss" the ship? And I do not see how there could be any customs implications if you departed a US port and "missed" the ship at a different US port, though I understand the PVSA implications.

Of course I understand how "missing" the ship in a foreign country could be a huge problem, but for a US citizen in at a US port?

Although you had a harder time than you would have liked, I am glad things eventually worked out.

So, in an emergency, I wonder what would happen if you got off the ship with a tote bag, backpack, whatever, of stuff you absolutely needed and simply did not get back on again. What would the cruise line do with your luggage? Would they fine you the $300 to get it back? Cruise ships leave people behind in ports all the time. It's not like they send out a search party for them. How would the ship authorities know the pax did not "miss" the ship? And I do not see how there could be any customs implications if you departed a US port and "missed" the ship at a different US port, though I understand the PVSA implications.

Of course I understand how "missing" the ship in a foreign country could be a huge problem, but for a US citizen in at a US port?

The ship has your credit card number. You would be charged the $300 per person on your credit card. If you leave personal possessions on the ship - good luck getting them back.

The ship has your credit card number. You would be charged the $300 per person on your credit card. If you leave personal possessions on the ship - good luck getting them back.

I asked that very question. The lady at guest services told me the $600 fee was not theirs but the City of Charleston's. I said "how would they know - we could get off and not come back" and she said we would not be allowed off the ship with our luggage. I wasn't interested in going to jail - just getting off the ship and getting home.

Why was American airLines so slow with the tickets?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

That's what I want to know. Their reservation system is so backwards. On sw.com all you do is click "change reservation" and you change it and if there's an increased charge, you enter your credit card and pay it and within 5 minutes you get your confirmation. On AA you have to call and go through a dozen voice prompts and then hold for 20 minutes and then pay them $200 for making the change. And then wait 2+ hours for a confirmation. I'm switching airlines when possible ...

I asked that very question. The lady at guest services told me the $600 fee was not theirs but the City of Charleston's. I said "how would they know - we could get off and not come back" and she said we would not be allowed off the ship with our luggage. I wasn't interested in going to jail - just getting off the ship and getting home.

Glad it worked out,....of course the lady at guest services was wrong, the fee is not Charleston-specific as you've seemingly found out...

It's essentially a fee for the US government, liking collected by US Customs and Border Protection.....

Great post and interesting information.

We are thinking of booking a B3B cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas next year and getting off of the ship in Istanbul (ship is docked for two nights) one day early so that we could fly to Venice one day early to get on-board another RCI ship.

Now I'm wondering if we should just try to fly from Istanbul to Venice the day of debarkation/embarkation instead of leaving early.

We are thinking of booking a B3B cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas next year and getting off of the ship in Istanbul (ship is docked for two nights) one day early so that we could fly to Venice one day early to get on-board another RCI ship.

Now I'm wondering if we should just try to fly from Istanbul to Venice the day of debarkation/embarkation instead of leaving early.

If you are not cruising from one US city to another US city, then the PVSA law does not apply.

This link from the RCI website might help Can I take a partial cruise

Cabs do not charge PP but are metered and one price for all in the cab

Shuttles charge a fixed rate PP, this sounds like the transportation you used

In lots of ports it cost more to use a shuttle over a cab because of the PP price

Edited by setsail