Balcony vs Ocean View with small kids

Barca-longa

We have a 3 & 5 year old and are traveling in October with RCCL. We have an ocean view but wondering if we should pony up some extra for a balcony. We're thinking we're not going to be spending much time in our room, but now wondering if we'll be claustrophobic. Also, after the kids go to sleep we may want that quiet balcony time. We are on a budget though so it would have to be really worth it. What's been your experience?

I didn't do balconies when my kids were really little because I was nervous. My DS was kind of a handful. Lol

Our first one on RCCL was when he was around 8 and we didn't really use it. Now we are going on the Carnival Breeze and getting a Lido balcony. We're very excited!

I guess it depends on whether you and your wife will make time to use it in the mornings for sunrise breakfast and after they are asleep. Sounds like a good plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would definitely go for a balcony, unless you are planning on going to bed at the same time as the kids. A balcony will give you someplace "to be" while they nap or are down for the night.

I think it's totally worth it!

We've only had balconies when we've cruised and my son has been twice. At 13 months he wasn't walking so no concerns. At almost 3 he was afraid of the balcony so no concerns ;) We get them for me, I love to have the quiet time on the balcony for reading, watching the stars, having a cup of tea.

...Also, after the kids go to sleep we may want that quiet balcony time. We are on a budget though so it would have to be really worth it. What's been your experience?

I used to just book the cheapest inside; I figured I only use my room to sleep anyway. But now that we're taking our newborn (8 months) on a cruise next month, I splurged and got a balcony. Not only for the reason you mention here, but also because the balcony rooms are also a bit larger than OV or Inside, and we look forward to having the extra space with a kid.

Another thing to consider would be two connecting insides. We're doing this on our Liberty of the Seas cruise next year. Two connecting promenade staterooms were slightly cheaper than one balcony room, even with just a family of three.

I wouldn't do the balcony with 2 young children active around the cabin. The best option is to get two ocean view room that connect to each other if traveling with other family members.

We are going on Oasis of the Seas and booked 2 ocean view connecting rooms with my in-laws that way they can help keep an eye on my 15 month old son at night if we want to go out and also the advantage of having 2 baths and more storage between us.

Plus ocean view rooms are cheaper, we looked at doing a balcony for 2 adults and 1 baby and it would have cost us $3,800. The ocean view for the 3 of us only cost $2,800 including insurance, prepaid fees, tax etc.

You might be looking at close to $5,000 for 4 people in a balcony room and from what I have read they are not much bigger than ocean view only advantage is if you plan on staying in your cabin most of the time so you can see on your private balcony and enjoy the view when the weather is nice.

I guess I'm in the minority. I can't see myself sitting on a balcony in complete darkness while my kids sleep. We've always done insides or oceanviews with our kids (this will be my 3 year old's 4th cruise in October). We've never had a problem with them sleeping while we watch TV or talk. Of course, every child and family are different. One day we'll try a balcony, but for now, we're just happy to be on the ship! We have a family oceanview booked for October. The rooms look huge! Can't wait!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is what I would consider when planning the trip.

Can you get two connecting cabins for about the same price as a balcony? If so book the connecting cabins instead of a balcony. A balcony cabin may feel more claustrophobic if the kids bed is blocking the balcony doors when opened.

Are you planning to have your kids in bunk beds? Some outside cabins have upper berths instead of a pull out sofa. Personally- the bunks are great space savers and I like them. Kids like them. Parents worry the child will fall out. I ended up sleeping in the upper bunk. Once my son turned 6, I felt better about the bunk.

Do you and your husband want to have some romantic time on the trip? Might make sense to have two cabins, two tvs, two bathrooms and twice as much closet/storage space.

It can be a lot of work for a Mom, having to keep the place tidy- four wet swimsuits hanging up in the bathroom, stinky shoes, dirty clothes, toys, etc. It's cramped.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I guess I'm in the minority. I can't see myself sitting on a balcony in complete darkness while my kids sleep.

What, don't your kids take naps during the day?? :p

Of course, at night you can always close the curtain and turn on the light on your balcony...

My kids can sleep anywhere, lol. We rarely have to go back to the cabin during the day. We like to find a deck that isn't very crowded and take a nap on a lounger. But like I said, I guess I'm in the minority :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I cruised long before I had kids, so I got spoiled with having a balcony. So my kids have only had rooms with balconies. But it is a complete personal preference. Many times closer to sail dates you can find a deal where balconies are cheaper than oceanview or insides because there are so many more of them left.

We really enjoyed the balcony, not only as an escape for adults during nap time and bedtime, but also ended up using it quite a bit.

- Breakfast on the balcony. Since we had our son's bed as the couch at 2 1/2, we would use the balcony table and chairs for breakfast on the days we got breakfast to go or room service. Snacks on the balcony were also a big hit with our son. He loved looking at the water.

- Added play room. While we were getting ready for dinner, etc. it was nice to have a little extra space while one of us was showering/changing/getting ready the other would take our son out to the balcony to read a book, play, etc.

We did set the rules on the first day for the balcony. Never go out without mommy or daddy and no touching/leaning on the glass.

Either way- you will have a great time! Just weigh your options and see what the price difference would be.

Kim

I think our family are in the minority here. We prefer to book inside state rooms and let me tell you why. First all the ones we have been in have been bigger than the outside ones and balcony ones. The square footage of your room usually includes the balcony space. Second we found we only used our cabins to sleep or have the kids nap in. With it being dark, we could run whatever schedule we liked. When we went to the Caribbean a few years ago, we kept the kids pretty much on our home time zone. Yes they would sleep until 9ish sound days but that was only 7 our time (not 5).

Personally also the thought if my child (the youngest was a climber) having a balcony in our room scared me.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily