Please help with a RCCL and CCL Comparison, I am torn.

js

so what's wrong with choices? Hardly nickle and dimed when the pay for items are extras that aren't missed unless you pay

I think my opinion is that I def felt nickel and dimed. That's ok to have an opinion right? The perception is that they are throwing this stuff in your face all the time. I paid significantly more than I would on a Carnival cruise. They don't have anything like early saver so that as we got close to the cruise, royals response on our D1 being significantly cheaper was they would upgrade our cabin. Guess what they wait until all higher levels are gone so there is nothing you can do. I also felt I was paying for (higher cruise fare etc) and we did not want things like the flow rider, rock walls, merry go round etc. better entertainment? Yes. We def felt it was more like a Disney vacation (and that is not a complement) than a relaxing cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have been on the Dream (sister ship to the Breeze) and the Allure and I can honestly say that it would be a difficult choice. The Dream cruise felt like all of my Elation cruises on steroids! I loved the quiet AFT pool and the shows/comedy were excellent. That being said, the Allure was a whole adventure on its own. The shows in the Aqua Theater are simply amazing and the show Blue Planet was also top notch. You mentioned that you prefer dining in specialty restaurants, well, Allure and Oasis win that hands down!

Bottom line, I agree with the earlier posters who said that you have to try an Oasis class ship at least once, plus it is an extra day.

Good luck!

I have sailed on most cruise lines and prefer RCCL. I like the family suite on Royal it lets our Family of 5 use one suite with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms very convent and well laid out with privacy and closets for everyone. On Carnival we need 2 rooms not as convent and cost more.

I also like the Port of Bayonne it works for us, wish more cruise lines left from Baltimore or NJ, but the bottom line is where you are going and if the dates work for you, there is no bad cruise or cruise ship.

We have been on both the Breeze and the Oasis of the Seas so here is my take:

We loved our Oasis cruise. As others have said, it is an experience you have to experience at least once. It is different from any other cruise we have taken. Can't exactly put my finger on it but the closest I can say is that it felt more like a mall with all the ship amenities that we like. The ship is huge but very organized so no lines or crowds. The week we were on, the seas were very calm so never felt like we were on a ship. Loved all the included amenities.

We had a balcony overlooking Central Park. These balconies like the boardwalk ones are very tiny. You could not fit more than 2 people on it. Also, no smoking so just like an inside but you could walk out and have a view of Central Park. No view of the ocean as it is mid ship. The boardwalk balconies you probably could see the ocean but from far away. Compares to the small European hotel rooms with the tiny balconies.

Having said that, I would definitely not pay double to cruise on the Oasis. We got ours on sale and if we ever see the Allure on sale, we will try it too.

On the Breeze, you will have a super cruise. I personally would choose the Breeze, all things considered. It is a beautiful ship with lots to do. Since your DH is a balcony snob ( your words not mine...lol), he will enjoy the cove balcony a lot more than the tiny Boardwalk ones.

I think there is plenty of varied activities for your varied range of ages. The Breeze has enough extra pay food venues for a 6 day cruise. The Steakhouse which I have heard is superior to Chops on RCCL ( never personally tried it on the Oasis). Excellent on Carnival based on personal experience. Cucina del Capitano ( Italian )is also excellent and there is also Bonsai ( Japanese ). There are also some a la carte items in the Red Frog Pub.

Whichever ship you choose, have a great time and enjoy. Both ships are great!

I have sailed on the Breeze and the Allure. I loved the Allure so much, I booked the Oasis for next year! The Breeze was my favorite ship until I sailed on the Allure. I think you should experience the Allure/Oasis at least once-the ships are simply amazing. You can't even compare them to any Carnival ship. I think your kids will like the various activities: flowrider, rock wall, etc. If money is not an issue, I would book the Oasis, especially since it is one day longer than the Breeze cruise. Or maybe do a B2B on the Breeze? RCI is having a sale now, so I don't know if that is the price you quoted with the sale. You really can't go wrong with whatever option you choose-both great ships!

I am Diamond on CCL, Platinum on RCCL i have 4 more cruises booked on each line with 2 more booked on NCL .

3 of the 4 CCL cruises i am playing less than 90 a day the average daily charge is 93 all in 1A portholes

The first RCCL cruise was much cheaper per day than either BC8 or the Freedom repo, the last 3 are a 15 day TA than a 7 day West carib ending with a 9 day So carib B2B2B after the TA i will be diamond on RCCL

I prefer the Breakfast and Lunch on RCCL to the Brunch on CCL

Diamond Dave per John Heald

Edited by wanderingjew

One has great ships, they used to be on par with the rest, with a better price on Carnival

Till the cutbacks.

So now it's two levels. If you want a better overall experience, buy up to RCCL, unless you can get a sweet deal, and then the choice is obvious.

If you want cheap, go Carnival. But you have to act fast. Their mission is to start raising prices. Will be difficult if they can't fill the ships though.

Thank you all.

I think I am going to move forward with the Oasis.

Like others have said, it is an experience in itself that should be done at least once, if can be. Others have also mentioned that the nightly entertainment is more varied on Oasis, this is a consideration of mine.

In addition to my dh and myself, I will have my ds-17 and my dd-21 along with my mom-68, who does enjoy RCCL and has never been on CCL, on purpose although I did tell her that the Breeze gets excellent reviews and she had agreed it would be between both.

While I would like to sail the Breeze, I would LOVE to sail the Oasis. Maybe when we take the kids on their HS and college graduation cruise, we can possibly do the Breeze and have them take a friend.

I appreciate all the time you have all taken to post your reviews of both ships (and ships similiar). I read each one and weighed both sides.

Thank you very much!

Just got back from the Oasis and have sailed on the Carnival Dream. Our recent trip on the Oasis was made because of the people we were with. While I agree with many others about having to experience the Oasis of the Seas I think that the cost difference you quoted would direct me to the Breeze.

Our trip took place during the summer (Early June) and we had lines everywhere on the Oasis. The restaurants had weird operating hours and plenty of lines. One day I went to the Windjammer to get coffee at breakfast and the line was coming down the stairs. The Windjammer closes at 11, reopens at noon and closes at 3. That is fine if you have early dining, we didn't which made it difficult to find a place to eat lunch where we wouldn't have to wait another 6-8 hours before eating dinner. In fact my niece mentioned that I had lost weight after coming back from this cruise. You said that you prefer eating in the up-charge restaurants and they will be more than happy to accommodate you. All day long, no matter where we were on the ship, there was somebody from at least one of the restaurants trying to sell.

I will say it has been a couple of years since we sailed on the Dream but when we did last sail on her we did not experience the lines and the availability of food was much better. We also liked that a lot of the food variety was included in the price.

The shows we went to on the Oasis were very good and the one's I missed and my wife went to were good as well (that's what she said). The downside is having to make reservations for all of the shows. The venues are quite small for a ship that size so reservations are a necessary evil.

For us, unless we had another big group or the price was right, we would not sail on the Oasis again.

Carnival has a lower price and bigger cabins and that IT RCCL is much much better in all other ways. There no comparison between the two cruise lines. RCCL ship are a lot nicer. It will be like night and day

Others have also mentioned that the nightly entertainment is more varied on Oasis, this is a consideration of mine!

If entertainment is important, then you made the right choice. Entertainment on the Allure completely blew the Dream's entertainment out of the water (pun intended! :D). After going to Ocean Aria, Blue Planet, the various ice shows, and listening to rave reviews about Chicago (we didn't attend. We simply didn't have enough time with so much going on the Allure), it was REALLY hard NOT to compare. Also, the many bars and lounges, all with something different, and the many dining venues, will keep you very busy.

It was tough to attend a show at the main theater on the Dream after sailing on the Allure. To be brutally honest, it was like attending a middle/high school show, where you feel a bit sorry for the performers but at the end you still applaud for their effort. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app