Seattle Excursion

want2seealaska

I'd love to hear from anyone who took the Chihuly and Space Needle Excursion with airport drop off after disembarking the Solstice on an Alaskan cruise. We are considering this shore excursion since our flight is at 2:10 but would like some more information on how it works. This would free up our pre-cruise day in Seattle so we could do other things.

We booked a car and driver. He picked us and our carry on luggage up from the cruise ship. (we used the baggage valet service for our checked bags)

We were then able to have him take us sightseeing - he had some great recommendations.

We went to the space needle for lunch, and then he took us to the airport. When I sail again next year, I will do the exact same thing. It was perfect -and cheaper per person than had we paid for the excursion.

However, our flights weren't until 5, so not sure how much time for sightseeing you will have

We booked a car and driver. He picked us and our carry on luggage up from the cruise ship. (we used the baggage valet service for our checked bags)

We were then able to have him take us sightseeing - he had some great recommendations.

We went to the space needle for lunch, and then he took us to the airport. When I sail again next year, I will do the exact same thing. It was perfect -and cheaper per person than had we paid for the excursion.

However, our flights weren't until 5, so not sure how much time for sightseeing you will have

Our flight is after 5 pm too. May I ask which car and driver you booked and approximate cost if you don't mind my asking. It will be for my husband and I.

We did this tour in May. Tour met in Celebrity Central about 0800 - 0830 and everyone walked off the ship together. You have to pick up your luggage inside the terminal go through customs and take your luggage to the tour bus where it is loaded on the bus. We opted to use Celebrity's luggage valet service so we would not have to deal with any luggage ( we had 4 bags). See the guest relations desk about luggage valet service. It was just a driver, no guide. But the driver was very chatty and knowledgeable. Drove past several Seattle highlites, including Pike's Place on the way to the Space Needle, Chihuly Gardens (they are side by side). Once at the Space Needle the driver will give you admission tickets for both sites, give you some information about both places and turn you loose to tour on your own, with an agreed to time to meet back at the bus. The Space Needle you take an elevator to the top where there is an inside coffee shop/restaurant, with viewing, and an outside 360 degree viewing level. You take the elevator up and down at your leisure. The Chihuly museum/gardens is quite an amazing, large place (beautiful pieces of glassworks) and really is an all day tour by itself, but if you are quick you should be able to get an hour in there. At the agreed time everyone meets back at the bus for the drive to the airport, which is about 30 minutes. We were at the airport right around 12 noon. Also, you can leave whatever you wish on the bus while you are touring as the driver stays the whole time with the bus.

Edited by wv4891

We did this tour in May. Tour met in Celebrity Central about 0800 - 0830 and everyone walked off the ship together. You have to pick up your luggage inside the terminal go through customs and take your luggage to the tour bus where it is loaded on the bus. We opted to use Celebrity's luggage valet service so we would not have to deal with any luggage ( we had 4 bags). See the guest relations desk about luggage valet service. It was just a driver, no guide. But the driver was very chatty and knowledgeable. Drove past several Seattle highlites, including Pike's Place on the way to the Space Needle, Chihuly Gardens (they are side by side). Once at the Space Needle the driver will give you admission tickets for both sites, give you some information about both places and turn you loose to tour on your own, with an agreed to time to meet back at the bus. The Space Needle you take an elevator to the top where there is an inside coffee shop/restaurant, with viewing, and an outside 360 degree viewing level. You take the elevator up and down at your leisure. The Chihuly museum/gardens is quite an amazing, large place (beautiful pieces of glassworks) and really is an all day tour by itself, but if you are quick you should be able to get an hour in there. At the agreed time everyone meets back at the bus for the drive to the airport, which is about 30 minutes. We were at the airport right around 12 noon. Also, you can leave whatever you wish on the bus while you are touring as the driver stays the whole time with the bus.

A little off topic but do you know if Alaska airlines is involved in the luggage valet, we are not flying until 3:30P.M..

Well if your trying to save a feww pennys or just like to see something else, i have a couple of sugjestons. So I am going to Solstic this Aug out of Seattle. I have grew up In Seattle, matter of fact i work down at the port In Seattle 1st there Is Discovery park, its old Fort Lawton. You can walk down to the shore line with Beautful scenry. There is a nice walk out to a old light house. Also there Is Ballard Locks just north of the Port. Its a salmon fish ladder and a working locks between fresh water lake union and salt water Puget sound. Both easy to get to by taxi. Ya just a suggestion.

Thank you so much for your detailed response! This was just the type of information I was hoping to get, especially regarding your luggage. I was really hoping to get to the Chihuly Museum but didn't quite know how to fit it in. We're arriving in Seattle the day before the cruise but I was concerned about how much we were trying to squeeze in that day after a long flight. Think pre-cruise might now be just Pikes Place and Happy Hour oysters at Elliotts.

Our flight is after 5 pm too. May I ask which car and driver you booked and approximate cost if you don't mind my asking. It will be for my husband and I.

we went through limos.com, there were 4 of us so we got an SUV - think it was less than $300. but for 2 people you could get a car instead and it would be less.

one of the places that he took us that we had no idea about was the locks. we were all surprised at how much we enjoyed it. very worth the trip.

the advantage to a driver was that we got to go where/when we wanted.

good luck and enjoy. it won't matter if you do the tour or do it on your own. wherever you go, it will all be worth it

Yes, Alaska Airlines is included. Please see this post for information

Hi, I read the information in your link , thank you. Just wondering, we are flying on Alaskan Airlines at 18.55 pm to LA then connecting to Qantas and flying to Sydney. Would we be able to use Celebrity Luggage Valet for this do you think?

No, that's not what it says on the Luggage Valet Service form from Celebrity, which is what I quoted from in this post.

And I believe that even domestically the entire journey must be on the same airline to be eligible for Valet

Sorry, really can not answer that question, perhaps Captains Club can?

Hi, I read the information in your link , thank you. Just wondering, we are flying on Alaskan Airlines at 18.55 pm to LA then connecting to Qantas and flying to Sydney. Would we be able to use Celebrity Luggage Valet for this do you think?
Edited by wv4891

Hi Thought I would post the form for Seattle that Celebrity Solstice was using for our cruise of May 08 2014. This hopefully will answer most of the questions about the Luggage Valet Program.

Thank you again. We did book the Seattle shore excursion ... should be more fun than several hours at the airport! And we will probably use the luggage valet service just so we don't have to cart those suitcases to the bus. Do you remember what time they picked up your luggage Thursday night? We don't get back from our Victoria shore excursion till after 10.