Best HA ship to bring Mom- who has never cruised!

pixiedust777

I have cruised Holland America once before in 2006. It was on the inaugural sailing of the Noordam.

Let's just say it was not a great experience but I have no issue giving HA another try. I am older and will not be bringing children.

Reason that HA is top of my list is my Mom who is widowed has expressed an interest to go on a cruise. She has never been on a cruise and her reason for this is she would not go on a vacation that she would not be able to get to mass.

When I told her HA has daily mass she got really excited.

Now I am not sure where to begin.

I think Caribbean as the waters are usually a little more forgiving.

I am just not sure what ship.

It will just be my Mom and I. A stateroom with a verandah is a must.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What does your mom like to do? What has she said she'd like to try "sometime"? Age (roughly) :) ? Any health or mobility problems for either of you?

Mom is mid 60's and is very active at Church, loves to knit, sew and is learning needlepoint. She has memberships to the Art Gallery as well as many theatre companies.

She is in good health and has no mobility issues.

Sight seeing is at the top of her list as there are few places that she has been since my Dad passed 18 years ago. She retired yesterday and she wants to see the world!

I am excited because we have asked several times for her to join us on vacations and has always declined.

One of the smaller vessels such as the Maasdam or Ryndam might be a good place to start.

That said, you won't be disappointed with any of the HAL ships.

Hmmm....I had not not thought smaller. ;)

I automatically started looking at the Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam and Noordam.

Mom is mid 60's and is very active at Church, loves to knit, sew and is learning needlepoint. She has memberships to the Art Gallery as well as many theatre companies.

Sight seeing is at the top of her list as there are few places that she has been since my Dad passed 18 years ago. She retired yesterday and she wants to see the world!

I am excited because we have asked several times for her to join us on vacations and has always declined.

Well way to go Mom :) Based on what you say, I'd look at the various itineraries that work for you for the length of cruise you want, and the time of year you are considering travelling. See if there are specific ports that have some sort of textile crafts, maybe? And good sightseeing (history? religion? churches?) opportunities. THEN decide on the ship.

My mom was very religious and she told me that she always regretted never having visited Rome and the Vatican. If time, finances and health allow I suggest a cruise starting in Rome. I think your mom would love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH reminded me that on the same cruise we stopped in Ephesus where we visited not only the ruins but the house where it has been stated that Mary lived and the site where St Paul preached. Also the believed burial site of St John. Wonderful cruise a couple of years ago on the Noordam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would suggest you select the ship that is going where you want to go, when you want to go there.

I too vote for itinerary. Some HAL ships are larger than others, but none are truly huge. Last summer, I sailed the Nieuw Amsterdam with my mother and while it was larger than any HAL ship she had been on in her decades of sailing HAL, she was very happy with the size and service.

Just a thought.......if you think your mother might enjoy a pass to the thermal suite, the larger ships are better. The smaller ships have the thermal suite with the heated tile loungers and the saunas, but the thermal pool is just a hot tub. The larger ships have a lovely, large thermal pool with loungers at one end of the room.

Kate

I suggest you ask her if there is a place she has always dreamed of going to above all else when she thinks of seeing the world.

Where I wanted to see most was different from my husband's #1 pick, as well as my Dad's, my Mum's, and each of my 6 siblings. We were quite surprised at the variety of choices. We all often said we would love to see the world, but then found we each had totally different visions of where we would go.

One wanted to see Scandinavia, one the Mayan ruins, one the beaches of the Caribbean, one the Panama Canal, one the Orient, another, the old churches of Europe, etc.

There are Churches, Art Galleries, and wonderful areas for sightseeing in every part of the world, but some areas appeal to me more than my husband for various reasons, as different ones do for my husband.

If your first cruise with her is to win her over to cruising, going to a place that SHE has dreamed of is what will sell her on it. We can all speculate and offer our advice, but my suggestion is to first ask her where SHE is interested in going.

Once you have her mini list of first choices, then I think we can chime in with advice on how to enhance her vision with ideas on ship, excursions, and such.

A simple question to her will most likely help you pinpoint a starting point.

After that, I'm sure you will have a blast planning and cruising with her. We often take my folks with us now. They are 86 and love to travel. Going together has made cruising a great way to spend some precious time enjoying each other while we all have a chance. I'm sure you all will have a marvelous time.

Enjoy.

Thank you everyone for your responses so far. It has given me a lot to think about.

I am pretty sure that we are going to do a Caribbean

I think I will pick up a HA brochure at a TA. I will give it to her and let her go through it and listen to what she has to say.

Your mother seems a little young for a Holland America cruise, but it is a great cruise line to experience your first cruise. If she wants to travel I would suggest an 11 day Panama Canal Cruise or one of the Southern Cruises that takes you to a larger selection of islands. At 65 and mobile any of the HAL Ships should be fine. The Hydro Pool/Thermal Suites are very relaxing(not on the small ships as stated above) We like the Zuiderdam and are cruising in November on the Noordam. Enjoy

I'd lean toward the NA or Eurodam. Some of the older ships are past their prime although I know posters will not agree with me. I know people love the Noordam but it's not my favorite.

Edited by cruz chic

I would also look at the shore excursion that are being offered by the ship. There are some excursions that take in the local culture, art galleries, crafts and local food.

Edited by geocruiser

Your mother seems a little young for a Holland America cruise

I would respectfully disagree with this. Hubby and I are going on our third HAL cruise in November, and we are 48 and 50! Our first was 14 years ago.

I agree with what others have said; pick an itinerary that she likes, then the ship, keeping in mind smaller ships will not have as many balcony cabins to choose from.

After 17 Caribbean cruises we are trying the Panama Canal partial transit in December. Nice combination of some Caribbean ports that we have never been to, a stop at the private island (which we love) and the Canal! Very excited for this.

Enjoy, whatever you choose. I think you will have a wonderful time!:)

Edited by sp2

Your mother seems a little young for a Holland America cruise
I would respectfully disagree with this. Hubby and I are going on our third HAL cruise in November, and we are 48 and 50! Our first was 14 years ago.

I totally agree with your respectful disagreement. I am 51 years old and my SO is 46 years old. We have been on 9 HAL cruises since 2003 and have enjoyed every one of them. We have also been on Seabourn, Carnival and Norwegian and, with the possible exception of Seabourn, the passenger demographic has been quite similar with some stereotypical differences. Carnival was definitely a livelier and more party crowd. Norwegian seemed to have many more families and kids. And Seabourn was a very unique passenger demographic that's difficult to describe. But, I think I've met many more interesting and well traveled passengers in every age group on HAL than on any of the others.

Edited by jaguarstyper

Oh my goodness! Please don't discourage people from believing HAL is for the older demographic. We began sailing HAL while we were in the younger demographic and absolutely loved (and still do) the traditional atmosphere. Let's keep the secret that HAL is not about age, but more about the sea, the ports, and the fine traditions of ocean sailing. I haven't hit the big 6-0 yet...but when I do, I hope it's on a HAL ship. :D

How about the med with a stop in Rome??

Thank you to all who have chimed in.

We are going to start with a Caribbean cruise. Max 7 days as Mom is very worried about how she will handle being on a ship.

She gets queasy on boats but I think she will be fine as what she knows as a boat is no where even close to a cruise ship.

I am thinking January or February.