Rum Point

Gratefulmama9

Hello! I know many discussions have been had about trips to Rum Point, but I was hoping to get up to date info about it. We are going to be tendered from Freedom of the Seas. We plan on renting a car- hopefully a jeep. We'd like to snorkel if it's an option at/ on the way to Rum Point. We'd like to get a local feel and maybe grab some authentic food. I'd also like to check out the rum cake factory( touristy I know, but I do like some cake:) So looking for best companies to reserve a vehicle ahead of time, best things to check out on the way to Rum Point, and best off the beaten path restaurants. Thanks so much!

You will love Rum Point! It's very quiet, lots of shade. I think you can snorkel off the beach or pier (although we didn't snorkel when we were there, so I can't say how it is) or I think you can also get a small boat to take you out a bit to snorkel.

There is a restaurant there, but I wouldn't call it "authentic" food, and it's fairly pricey.

Enjoy your day at Rum Point!!

My standard blurb comparing the two main beach options is below...hopefully you find some of this info useful.

For car rentals, you'll find most of the major chains plus a couple of local companies. If you have a favorite, they probably have a location by the airport and a shuttle to pick you up near the port. Andy's, a local company we've rented from on occasion, also has a Seven Mile Beach location which could be reached by taxi or public bus. There's a local company a bit closer to the port area as well, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seven Mile Beach vs. Rum Point

Whether you will enjoy Seven Mile Beach more or less than Rum Point depends on what you are looking for in a beach experience.

SMB:

- very long stretch of perfectly flat white sand and gorgeous blue water

- very little natural shade, lots of sun

- very close to the port area, so cheap and easy to get to/from (taxi or public bus)

- close to attractions like the Turtle Farm, Hell, dolphin experiences, rum cake factory

- more developed (major tourist area)

- includes a number of named sections with varying levels of facilities (sections with good free or cheap facilities are Royal Palms, Surfside, Sea Grape and Tiki Beach)

- multiple choices for restaurants and shopping nearby

- access to watersports via multiple operators at the different sections

- couple of sections with okay snorkelling, but most of the beach has no real snorkelling to speak of

- can be crowded in the sections with the better facilities due to proximity to port area

Rum Point:

- smaller beach, more "secluded tropical island" in feeling

- lots of natural shade, less sun

- 45 minute drive from port area, can only be reached via excursion or rental car

- not a major tourist area; surrounded by large vacation homes

- attractions more-or-less on the way there include Pedro St. James castle, botanical gardens, blowholes, cheesy pirate caves

- single company runs the beach and provides excellent free facilities such restrooms, showers, chairs, hammocks, etc.

- only one restaurant (beach bar) and one small gift shop

- one watersports operator (Red Sail)

- easy access to okay (and slightly better than okay) snorkelling

- crowd levels vary dramatically depending on day and number of excursions present, but usually less crowded than SMB (except on weekends/holidays)

My standard blurb comparing the two main beach options is below...hopefully you find some of this info useful.

For car rentals, you'll find most of the major chains plus a couple of local companies. ... There's a local company a bit closer to the port area as well, but I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Cayman Auto Rentals is the one closer to the port, within walking distance.

For local food on the way to/from Rum Point you might try:

Chester's Jerk Centre in Bodden Town. - Jerk is a spicy Caribbean style barbecue.

Over the Edge in North Side offers a mix of seafood and other local favourites.

Many other restaurants will have at least one or two local dishes on the menu.

Edited by drew sailbum

I would wait until you get to RP and have the grouper BLT witht their original mudslide.

You can rent jet skis and go a short distance out to the reef to snorkel, and stop at starfish beach on the way there or back.

We enjoy just limin' at RP because it's so much quieter than SMB, at least during the week.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning on taking an excursion to RP this month but not taking the bus back to the pier was hoping for a taxi ride, 45 min seems quite tedious though..........

i want to go to starfish point and check out all the starfishes, and thats near rum point but looks like that will have to wait till another time :(

I was planning on taking an excursion to RP this month but not taking the bus back to the pier was hoping for a taxi ride, 45 min seems quite tedious though..........

i want to go to starfish point and check out all the starfishes, and thats near rum point but looks like that will have to wait till another time :(

AND there aren't taxis at RP. You would have to pre-arrange that.

Hello! I know many discussions have been had about trips to Rum Point, but I was hoping to get up to date info about it. We are going to be tendered from Freedom of the Seas. We plan on renting a car- hopefully a jeep. We'd like to snorkel if it's an option at/ on the way to Rum Point. We'd like to get a local feel and maybe grab some authentic food. I'd also like to check out the rum cake factory( touristy I know, but I do like some cake:) So looking for best companies to reserve a vehicle ahead of time, best things to check out on the way to Rum Point, and best off the beaten path restaurants. Thanks so much!

We were in GC in April, our 4th cruise and 5th trip to the island. We rented from Andy's, who picked us up in their shuttle just next to the port area. Our first time on the island we rented from Cayman Auto, walking distance from port as mentioned. Both were fine. We prearranged with Andy's last time, sent my driver's license and info ahead of time so paperwork was speedy.

First trip we followed Frommer's driving tour #1 (Google search'll get you there). If you stay straight instead of turning left up to Rum Point you can follow the road around the eastern end of the island. Stop at the Blowholes, Tukka is good for lunch. Vivienne's Kitchen is local.

Didn't snorkel at Rum Point. We ended up back at Smith Cove for the afternoon. Love that beach (got married there eventually). Visit each time we're back.

We love Kaibo Beach Bar, great curried fish. Stay left at Rum Point and follow to first right. It's on your left. Continue PAST Kaibo to the very end and walk straight, Starfish Point is ahead to the left a bit. Stopped there last time, gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app