Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton...Do you have a favorite airport?

SnowshoeCat

So I'm looking at flights from Toronto to Vancouver. The cheapest flights are, of course, connecting ones. I can change planes in YWG, YXE, YYC, or YEG. I've never been to any of these cities, or their respective provinces, so I thought it would be fun to try something new. Maybe buy an interesting souvenir. The flying time all adds up to be about the same, but the layovers vary between about 1 and 3 hours.

Any favorites? Not so favorites?

Edited by SnowshoeCat

I've been to all but Saskatoon and don't recall any of them being overly memorable. I guess if I had to pick one I'd choose Calgary due to it's proximity to the mountains.

What I'd really look for is the one with a 90 min to 120 minute connection time to allow for any inbound flight delays (to me an hour is too tight). I'd also look for the one that has the best options of a later flight in the event things go wrong (that would probably be Calgary or Edmonton).

Hi Rick, thanks for your input. Calgary seems like the best choice because the arrival time in YVR isn't too late, and, as you mentioned, there are later options in case of a missed connection. Winnipeg and Saskatoon looked like fun because, really, when would I ever get there again? The flights were limited, though, and the connection times were long.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Hi Rick, thanks for your input. Calgary seems like the best choice because the arrival time in YVR isn't too late, and, as you mentioned, there are later options in case of a missed connection. Winnipeg and Saskatoon looked like fun because, really, when would I ever get there again? The flights were limited, though, and the connection times were long.

I use to live in Saskatoon (traveled for business quite a bit so I have been in all of these many times). My general comments:

Calgary and Edmonton are the larger airports. Calgary has about the same passenger volume as Montreal if you are looking for an Eastern Canada comparison. One of the advantages of traveling though Calgary is it is a hub for Air Canada and WestJet. I don't think the flights between Vancouver and Calgary are exactly hourly but they are not far. If you miss a connection the airline has a good chance of getting you to where you need to be with only a slight delay. WestJet is in C concourse so you connecting gate will be close. Air Canada is mostly in Concourse A but sometime also uses B during busy time. End result is your connecting gate is usually close but the odd time its a bit of a walk.

Saskatoon just opened a new concourse that is accommodating all of the flights. It is a much smaller airport but the gates are all very close and it makes for a very easy connection. It is not congested, end result is if there is a delay it is usually because of a problem at the other airport, not Saskatoon.

Winnipeg is a bit bigger than Saskatoon. Again its a brand new terminal, everything is very close together.

Edmonton is a little bit smaller than Calgary, but still recently remodeled and a very pleasant airport. Again lots of (almost hourly) flights to Vancouver.

Grand conclusion they are all good choices from a terminal perspective. From the perspective of being able to accommodate a delay effectively and reroute you I would prioritize them as: Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Saskatoon.

Edited by em-sk

I've been to all of them. YYC is by far the largest, nicest, most modern of them. None really have a whole lot to offer, but Calgary has the most if the ones you list. There are a few shops with souvenirs, although one is a duty free after immigration, so that probably won't work for you. YWG is the next largest. It's been years, but YEG and particularly YXE were really small, and I don't recall anything but maybe a Tim's and a small sundry shop in either of them--certainly no decent shopping unless something has drastically changed.

Well if I can drag myself out of bed a 4 am, it turns out I can get the non-stop from Toronto to Vancouver. I actually have a choice of two connections from my home airport!

Thanks for all the information. I thought it would be fun to visit a new-to-me airport, but the earlier flight would also get me to YVR early enough to actually visit the city.

I've been to all of them. YYC is by far the largest, nicest, most modern of them. None really have a whole lot to offer, but Calgary has the most if the ones you list. There are a few shops with souvenirs, although one is a duty free after immigration, so that probably won't work for you. YWG is the next largest. It's been years, but YEG and particularly YXE were really small, and I don't recall anything but maybe a Tim's and a small sundry shop in either of them--certainly no decent shopping unless something has drastically changed.

I would guess the Edmonton airport is around double the size of Winnipeg. They both feel similar in the newer wing of the Edmonton airport (that handles the Air Canada and foreign airlines) has the same architecture a feeling of the new terminal building in Winnipeg.

I was through Saskatoon last month. The restaurant past security is in a temporary location due to construction. However the new wing is all open. For shops to buy tourist oriented items, just now you need to go outside security. Their is a relay store and there is also a gift shop that has local arts pieces.

All of these airports are growing at a very fast rate. Saskatoon as an example doubled in size about 5 years ago and the expansion they are just finishing now will double their size again.

I would guess the Edmonton airport is around double the size of Winnipeg. They both feel similar in the newer wing of the Edmonton airport (that handles the Air Canada and foreign airlines) has the same architecture a feeling of the new terminal building in Winnipeg.

I was through Saskatoon last month. The restaurant past security is in a temporary location due to construction. However the new wing is all open. For shops to buy tourist oriented items, just now you need to go outside security. Their is a relay store and there is also a gift shop that has local arts pieces.

All of these airports are growing at a very fast rate. Saskatoon as an example doubled in size about 5 years ago and the expansion they are just finishing now will double their size again.

Sounds like something has "drastically changed." Thanks for the update. :)

Calgary for sure - and I am not just saying that because I like here.

As a pp said, there are almost hourly flights for Air Canada and Westjet from here to YVR.

If it isn't the largest of the 4 it's close to the largest. Today a new runway opens (the longest in Canada) and I heard it is going to help increase flights. The new international terminal opens next year.

There are ample restaurants (in the main concourse not within security - food fair and sit down restaurants ) however there are options within the secure area if you choose that) and things to do in the airport (there even is an aerospace museum with a scale model of one of the space shuttles -acquired from NASA). If it is an nice day, the view of the Canadian Rockies is beautiful. I have lived in Winnipeg and Visited Saskatoon and Edmonton. They are ok, but not Calgary.

Rough flying times:

YYZ > YVR 5 hrs

YYZ > YWG 2.5 hrs. YWG > YVR 2.5 hrs

YYZ > Saskatoon - no idea but my guess would be 3 hrs 15 mins Saskatoon to YVR - 1 hr 45ish

YYZ > YEG 4 hrs. YEG > YVR 1 hr 20

YYZ > YYC 4 hrs. YYC > YVR 1 hr 10 (tops depending on the wind).

This is the biggest of the cities you mention and when the airport expansion is complete I think they will be the third busiest airport behind YYZ And YVR in Canada. Having said that, I find even if it is busy, it isn't long huge line ups.

Oh and if by chance a layover was possible, Calgary is only an hour and a half (at the most) from Banff.

Edited by CGYCruisingFamily