smoke on balcony

nojoke

Since the OP has had his question answered maybe the hosts can lock the thread.

I don't understand why people who live in a democracy have to be monitored by the host. Last I heard, smoking wasn't illegal. Or talking about it. I find it extremely offensive that people suggest that the host lock posts that they don't want to read. Just don't read them! I don't read most posts---except for those about smoking---and I don't smoke! The host is for removing beligerant posts, not for getting rid of answered posts! Unless he has nothing better to do! The people who read here LIKE the smoking threads...or they wouldn't be here!

I see we couldn't last a week.

Yup! Here we go again! Making a bowl of popcorn.

Love Balconies. Hate smoke.

HAL's piano bar and BBKing shows, keep me loyal. Otherwise, I'd switch to Celebrity which, unlike HAL, is pristine in terms of no smoke. But alas, no piano bar.

Edited by Chelly

I will be on my balcony for 30 minutes a day having a cigar. The rest of it or a second one will be at the stern on the upper deck. In thirty plus cruises i have never had a complaint but then again I always try to make sure nobody is around me.

Thanks to everyone who answered my “smoking” question! Sorry if it seemed to be a reoccurring thread--I didn’t know. You have just confirmed what I suspected--in that there’s always a good chance someone will be smoking on a balcony. We had not experienced a problem several years ago, but at that time smoking was allowed on all ships--so the chance of having a next-door smoker was sort of spread around.

This is a very valid point... that yes, you should consider before booking a balcony with intentions of using it smoke-free at your will. Some lines like Celebrity lost regulars as soon as the smoking policy changed. And those smokers/cruisers have to go somewhere....

Ignore any snotty remarks. No problem in asking your question. I always find it funny that some posters pop up on a thread just to complain about the original question. Doesn't that seem hypocritical?:D

Edited by eandj

We are presently on the Noordam. There are smokers near enough to our veranda to detect the smoke. However, it hasn't bothered us enough to deter us from using our balcony whenever we desire. I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke, it gives me a roaring headache, but this has not been a problem. Honestly, the public smoking that is allowed all over Europe has been more troublesome. It would be so nice if the restaurants in Europe would at least designate a smoking/non-smoking area.

If you do decide to cruise with HAL, know that you do take the risk. I really don't think there is a higher percentage of smokers because of HAL's policy. Just come into it with a realistic expectation and with a flexible attitude.

This is a very valid point... that yes, you should consider before booking a balcony with intentions of using it smoke-free at your will. Some lines like Celebrity lost regulars as soon as the smoking policy changed. And those smokers/cruisers have to go somewhere....

Ignore any snotty remarks. No problem in asking your question. I always find it funny that some posters pop up on a thread just to complain about the original question. Doesn't that seem hypocritical?:D

I think there is a higher percentage of people who smoke booking verandahs than in the past. There isn't likely to be a meaningful change in the number of those booking cabins that do no have verandahs as smoking is not permitted in HAL cabins.

I believe there are smokers who used to sail Princess and Celebrity, both of which now ban verandah smoking, who have migrated to booking verandah cabins on HAL due to permissive policy.

So, yes,,,,, I think the chances of having a smoker beside you in verandah cabins has increased . We have had people post they moved over to HAL because of the policy. We have also had posters say they left HAL because of the verandah smoking. I would venture a guess HAL has a close count on those numbers. When the numbers of those leaving who have identified that as the reason is higher than those ''coming on over", HAL will to a long last to make that last smoking change many of us keep requesting.

I think there is a higher percentage of people who smoke booking verandahs than in the past. There isn't likely to be a meaningful change in the number of those booking cabins that do no have verandahs as smoking is not permitted in HAL cabins.

I believe there are smokers who used to sail Princess and Celebrity, both of which now ban verandah smoking, who have migrated to booking verandah cabins on HAL due to permissive policy.

So, yes,,,,, I think the chances of having a smoker beside you in verandah cabins has increased . We have had people post they moved over to HAL because of the policy. We have also had posters say they left HAL because of the verandah smoking. I would venture a guess HAL has a close count on those numbers. When the numbers of those leaving who have identified that as the reason is higher than those ''coming on over", HAL will to a long last to make that last smoking change many of us keep requesting.

This is exactly what happened on RCI and now they are complaining about the increase in smoking on the open decks. Is this a case of careful what you wish for.

It depends upon how many public smoking areas HAL permits.

If they keep it limited, those who wish to avoid breathing the smoke will be able to avoid it. If they increase the number of public areas, then certainly there will be more exposure. I think it unlikely they will increase public areas where smoking is permitted. They have continuously limited it, not increased it. The last place they need to ban it is verandahs in the opinion of a large number of us.

Edited by sail7seas

It depends upon how many public smoking areas HAL permits.

If they keep it limited, those who wish to avoid breathing the smoke will be able to avoid it. If they increase the number of public areas, then certainly there will be more exposure. I think it unlikely they will increase public areas where smoking is permitted. They have continuously limited it, not increased it. The last place they need to ban it is verandahs in the opinion of a large number of us.

A cheer went up when it was banned from the cabins. Most were happy to have it limited to the verandas.

I just can't help but feel that when it's banned from the verandas (and it will be) what ever outside area is left for smokers will become the new battle ground.

Edited to add, Next Tuesday, July 8 is 6 months smoke free for me and the wife.

Edited by HamOp

I can only speak for myself but I have no desire to have the ships entirely smoke free. I firmly think there should be an indoor and a protected/covered outside space where people can smoke. They would be areas people could avoid if they do not wish to be around smoke. Too many people are now being denied use of their verandahs so someone else can smoke.

It is rude and dismissive to tell someone who has sailed 80 plus times on one cruise line to go elsewhere. We have campaigned to have smoking reduced on the ships to match the conditions many of us live with in our communities and for me, the last request for change to smoking rules is verandahs to be banned.

CONGRATULATIONS on 6 months smoke free. WELL DONE. Keep up the good work. It is likely the single best thing you will do for yourselves in terms of health.

A cheer went up when it was banned from the cabins. Most were happy to have it limited to the verandas.

I just can't help but feel that when it's banned from the verandas (and it will be) what ever outside area is left for smokers will become the new battle ground.

Edited to add, Next Tuesday, July 8 is 6 months smoke free for me and the wife.

Congrats on the 6 months being smoke free - keep it up!!

We all have seen too many good people die at relatively young ages due to lung cancer - its just so sad. I buried a good friend and great guy this week due to it and he was a heavy smoker all his life. so I hope you can keep smoke free in the future!

DaveOKC

Sail, I appreciate your balanced approach to this issue. HamOp, congrats and keep it up!

We had a 4th deck stern balcony, and only detected smoke maybe once the whole week. One day we thought we could smell cigar smoke in the hallway though!

Thanks Sail7Seas, DaveOKC, and donswife for the encouragement!

I know one should never say never, but I am quite sure my smoking days are behind me.

Now if I can only put all that money I wasted on cigs towards a Neptune suite on a circle Hawaii cruise I'll be one happy camper.;)

We are presently on the Noordam. There are smokers near enough to our veranda to detect the smoke. However, it hasn't bothered us enough to deter us from using our balcony whenever we desire. I'm sensitive to cigarette smoke, it gives me a roaring headache, but this has not been a problem. Honestly, the public smoking that is allowed all over Europe has been more troublesome. It would be so nice if the restaurants in Europe would at least designate a smoking/non-smoking area.

If you do decide to cruise with HAL, know that you do take the risk. I really don't think there is a higher percentage of smokers because of HAL's policy. Just come into it with a realistic expectation and with a flexible attitude.

No idea where in Europe you have visited, but it is illegal to smoke in any restaurant within the EU. Unless you mean outdoors in patio or terrace areas?