GCT - Romance of the Rhine & Mosel in 2015

Sapphire73

We booked this trip with Grand Circle Travel for November 2015, starting in Basel and ending in Antwerp with an extension in Bruges. The trip is a long ways off, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done this trip (with GCT) or something similar with another company.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank those who responded to my queries about various cruise lines, optimal time of year, etc. Folks on Cruise Critic were a huge help when we took a cruise to Alaska several years ago and I appreciated your help with this trip as well.

Many thanks!

Edited by Sapphire73

We did this cruise in Mar/Apr this year on River Harmony. We definitely enjoyed it and recommend it highly. I posted reviews on both the GCT site and on http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com. Specific review http://rivercruiseinfo.com/content/read-review?r_id=4

Since we went early spring, we saw the trees, grapes and flowers just starting . . . Guess you will see them at the end of their cycle.

I could probably write a book, so it would be easier if you tell us what do you want to know? Just so I, and the rest of us have an idea, have you cruised with GCT before? How active do you want to be? Do you want to get off on your own?

Ask away, before I forget what I did ;)

We just completed this trip in the opposite direction on June 6, on the River Melody. It was a wonderful trip with great people, crew and program directors. We had nice weather for the most part, except for some light rain a couple of days. As we have good friends in Basel, we left the ship on the afternoon of the next to last day, spending five days with them, and having wonderful experiences in Switzerland.

• 1 month later...
We did this cruise in Mar/Apr this year on River Harmony. We definitely enjoyed it and recommend it highly. I posted reviews on both the GCT site and on http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com. Specific review http://rivercruiseinfo.com/content/read-review?r_id=4

Since we went early spring, we saw the trees, grapes and flowers just starting . . . Guess you will see them at the end of their cycle.

I could probably write a book, so it would be easier if you tell us what do you want to know? Just so I, and the rest of us have an idea, have you cruised with GCT before? How active do you want to be? Do you want to get off on your own?

Ask away, before I forget what I did ;)

Spent several weeks in Kenya during July so no time to think about the cruise and still catching up. I will try to remember to go back to your reviews and pose some specific questions.

Thanks!

We just completed this trip in the opposite direction on June 6, on the River Melody. It was a wonderful trip with great people, crew and program directors. We had nice weather for the most part, except for some light rain a couple of days. As we have good friends in Basel, we left the ship on the afternoon of the next to last day, spending five days with them, and having wonderful experiences in Switzerland.

Thanks for your input on the trip. Glad to hear that you had a good time. I had initially hoped to spend some extra time (at the beginning of our trip) in Switzerland, but we have been there before and have never visited Bruges or Ghent. And considering that we will be traveling in November rather than June, Bruges is probably a better choice for extending our trip. :)

• 1 year later...

Hard to believe that our trip starts in about 5 weeks! Looking forward to it but so much to do before we leave (including traveling to Brazil and back). In another thread about Outerwear, CPT Trips offered further input on this specific trip and I have copied the pertinent part of the post here.

There is a fair amount of free time for you to explore on your own. We did a number of things on our own and can share some ideas if you are interested. Finally, when in Belguim, never have the same beer twice. There are too many to try to limit yourself; if you are a beer geek, skip anything you have seen in one of your local stores.Enjoy!

CPT Trips that is a very kind offer! You clearly had a great time on this trip. I have just gone back to read your reviews of this trip, and it looks like your PD was Helene? We haven't heard anything about who our PD will be. Not sure whether we will hear ahead of time or not, since we aren't Inner Circle members. It also looks like you did some research before your trip and found some things you wanted to do on your own.

My husband is very much looking forward to sampling various beers. We had one night in Brussels in August on the way to Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso (as in the country in the news where there was recently a military coup that seems to have been peacefully resolved). We sampled some beer and chocolate while we were there. Definitely looking forward to our post-trip extension to Bruges! But we will also enjoy sampling wine on this trip and various food specialties.

I am guessing that we will go on most of the tours and also explore the towns a bit on our own. My husband and I are both interested in history - and DH's grandfather served in WWI and his father in WWII. I will be curious to see how often our path intersects with places they saw under very different circumstances! (I have yet to pull out a map and do a careful comparison.)

I have thought of a few questions after reading your reviews:

1) What did you most enjoy seeing or doing in Basel?

2) What did you think of the optional trip to Luxembourg? What did you do there beside visiting the two cemeteries? And was the trip there scenic?

3) I am also wondering what you thought of the home visit? I see many positive comments in the reviews.

4) Another question for anyone who has traveled along the Rhine and Mosel rivers is whether there is any food (or beverage) that you might recommend our buying to take home with us (that is allowed)? We are traveling home on Thanksgiving Day and postponing our family gathering until our return, so it might be nice to bring some special treat home.

Many thanks!

Edited by Sapphire73

In Basel you get a day pass for the transit system. Honestly, we were sort of toured out by then so we took it easy. We wandered around the older parts of the city based on some walking tours I found on-line. Lunched on our own and people watched. Basel is ridiculously expensive . . . Darn close to twice the price of Germany.

We did a side trip on our own to Remagen from my our Bonn stop . . . 40 plus years ago we were there. Then the remains of the bridge was surrounded by rubble and a chain link and barbed wire fence. Now it is a small museum . . .

There was a WWII related optional excursion from Nijmegen. Those who went enjoyed it . . . we skipped it. If DH's father was involved in Monty's Mess (Operation Market Garden), this is a place where paths cross.

In Luxembourg, after visiting the cemeteries we had a brief walking tour of Luxembourg City, a group lunch and then some free time. Lunch took too long and I wish they just had us get lunch on our own to allow more free time. It was a fairly long bus ride, 90 minutes or so each way, and not particularly scenic. We didn't really get to see Zell although I had enough time to grab a bottle of Zeller Schwartze Katz.

We had a great home visit. Our hosts spoke excellent English, as did all the hosts for our cruise from what we heard. So far the home visit on each of our trips have been enjoyable.

We seldom have enough luggage space to bring back much in the way of souvenirs or food/beverage. One of the towns on the Mosel did have a mustard mill that was popular with the cruisers. Genever/Jenever aka Dutch Gin might be something else to consider.

Thanks for all the information! A general question about GCT: do they split you into groups based on your activity level? I have read that other river cruise companies will have slow walker group, etc, does GCT do this? My DH and I are very active and would rather not spend time waiting for the slower walkers (though we will love to spend time at dinner getting to know everyone). DH is doing Louisville Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, then 26.2 mile run. on Sunday - go Jim!!!!

Sorry to say that GCT does not divide by activity level. I'm taking my third GCT River cruise next month and have found I do my rapid pace when away from the group. Our group walks were very leisurely. Other than a too slow pace, I enjoy GCT. I've also done 2 river cruises with Uniworld, which does have a gentle walkers group.

The pace is leisurely to slow and you will spend time waiting. We are fast walkers and often get well ahead of the group. The PDs typically will let us know when/where to stop and wait, the whispers (radios) make this easy.

We also wander around town squares and down side streets while waiting to see what there is to see and possibly return to on our free time. It helps to do some research in advance so you can make the most of your free time.

Thanks for all the information! A general question about GCT: do they split you into groups based on your activity level? I have read that other river cruise companies will have slow walker group, etc, does GCT do this? My DH and I are very active and would rather not spend time waiting for the slower walkers (though we will love to spend time at dinner getting to know everyone). DH is doing Louisville Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, then 26.2 mile run. on Sunday - go Jim!!!!

You might prefer a cruise line that includes slow walkers, regular, and especially Fast walkers -- but even then don't expect any Ironman paces!

I have commented to Grand Circle several times on the post-trip survey about having a faster-paced group. This group could be established when one signs up for the cruise. Then adjustments could be made while on the trip if necessary.

My husband and I are always ahead of the group on the walking tours, too. Our local guide in Russia asked us not to get too far ahead :D.

Thanks for all the information! A general question about GCT: do they split you into groups based on your activity level?

When we chose GCT for our first river cruise (about a month from now), we knew that they don't split people into groups based on activity level. But we decided to go with GCT based on what we heard (from friends and online) about the quality of the tours and expertise of the program directors. This and the overall itinerary were our top priorities.

We just had a chance to visit with friends who took a GCT river cruise in France this summer and loved it. They were very impressed with their program director, the shore excursions, and the background info and discussions about the places they were visiting.

They were one of the youngest couples onboard and said that older travelers suggested they take an Overseas Adventure Travel trip next instead of another river cruise - thinking they would like a faster paced, more active trip. But they were very happy with the river cruise.

Looking forward to our trip!

Edited by Sapphire73

When we chose GCT for our first river cruise (about a month from now), we knew that they don't split people into groups based on activity level. But we decided to go with GCT based on what we heard (from friends and online) about the quality of the tours and expertise of the program directors. This and the overall itinerary were our top priorities.

We just had a chance to visit with friends who took a GCT river cruise in France this summer and loved it. They were very impressed with their program director, the shore excursions, and the background info and discussions about the places they were visiting.

They were one of the youngest couples onboard and said that older travelers suggested they take an Overseas Adventure Travel trip next instead of another river cruise - thinking they would like a faster paced, more active trip. But they were very happy with the river cruise.

Looking forward to our trip!

Interesting you say that. In my previous post I mentioned my upcoming GCT cruise. I took one in December last year, and had already booked this one...

The cruise directors have always been very good or excellent. The excursions are good too. I decided on my trip last year that the slow pace was too slow and my next trips would be with Overseas Adventure Travel and in fact have 2 trips booked with OAT. Sapphire, which is your upcoming cruise? I'll be on the Eastern Europe to the Black Sea about a month from now...

I decided on my trip last year that the slow pace was too slow and my next trips would be with Overseas Adventure Travel and in fact have 2 trips booked with OAT.

Barrheadlass, hope you have a great time on the trips you've booked with OAT! We have some (older) friends who did many trips with OAT and have just started doing GCT river cruises. They have loved them all. And some younger friends of ours just did several African safaris with OAT and have now booked a trip to the Galapagos and Machu Pichu with them for next summer.

I am guessing that I may welcome a moderate pace in the ports in that photography is one of my hobbies and I can usually find a subject of interest (to me) as I walk along. It might be a doorway, a sign over a shop, a window box of flowers (in nicer weather) or something more typical (famous building, statue, etc.).

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Sapphire73

Question for those who have traveled with GCT.... How was the wine that they served with dinner? Thinking I heard something about the option to pay more for higher quality wine but not sure. Any thoughts on the wine served on your GCT cruise and the pros and cons of paying extra for your wine? Just curious.

Thanks!

Edited by Sapphire73

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to pack for our first river cruise and find that I have a few more questions for people who have traveled with GCT:

1) GCT encourages people to bring something smaller like a back pack for ones carry-on bag rather than a standard carry-on bag. We usually take a smallish carry-on (sized for international travel) to fit camera gear, medications, a change of clothes, etc. Is this going to be a problem? The bags fit British Airways requirement but I'm not sure about GCT? What have you done in the past?

Complicating this decision, is that we have a relatively short connection at Heathrow (which GCT and Heathrow say should be OK) so I want to be sure to have a change of clothing (or two).

They mention limited room on the bus transfers. At least our checked luggage is a smaller size than the standard.

2) I usually bring a compact travel hair dryer (dual voltage) but am curious as to whether GCT provides these?

3) And last but not least, I just got a hearing aid and I am wondering how the headsets for tours will work with it? Do the headsets go over the ear or have ear buds? I can take the hearing aid out during tours, of course, but thought I'd check. This hearing stuff is new for me.

Many thanks,

Sapphire

Starting to pack for our first river cruise and find that I have a few more questions for people who have traveled with GCT:

1) GCT encourages people to bring something smaller like a back pack for ones carry-on bag rather than a standard carry-on bag. We usually take a smallish carry-on (sized for international travel) to fit camera gear, medications, a change of clothes, etc. Is this going to be a problem? The bags fit British Airways requirement but I'm not sure about GCT? What have you done in the past?

That is NOT a problem. What they want to eliminate is having people bring 2 or 3 large suitcases (even though some still do ;)).

Complicating this decision, is that we have a relatively short connection at Heathrow (which GCT and Heathrow say should be OK) so I want to be sure to have a change of clothing (or two).

They mention limited room on the bus transfers. At least our checked luggage is a smaller size than the standard.

2) I usually bring a compact travel hair dryer (dual voltage) but am curious as to whether GCT provides these?

There are very nice hair dryers available in the room.

3) And last but not least, I just got a hearing aid and I am wondering how the headsets for tours will work with it? Do the headsets go over the ear or have ear buds? I can take the hearing aid out during tours, of course, but thought I'd check. This hearing stuff is new for me.

The earpieces are over the ear and can be worn on either ear. They are designed to fit the left ear but can be turned upside down to fit the right ear.

Many thanks,

Sapphire

Have a wonderful trip.