Why can't you DOWNGRADE?

christinalvt

I have a mid-ship mini-suite (Category MB) booked on Breakaway in 3 weeks, and I've always wanted an aft balcony, so when I saw that aft balconies (category B1) have gone down in price, I called to see if I could change to an aft balcony. My TA called NCL, who said that since cat. B1 is a lower price point (and thus less desirable) category than MB mini suites (in which the only difference from a regular balcony cabin is the size of the bathroom), I could not downgrade.

Now, I'm not looking for OBC or a refund of the difference, and I told him I didn't care that I paid more, I would prefer an aft balcony. He didn't understand why I wanted a cabin at the back of the ship over a mid-ship cabin with a larger bathroom. I guess he's never been in an aft balcony.

If NCL is trying to free up the "more desirable" and more expensive cabins, why wouldn't they want me to give up my MB for an aft balcony? Doesn't make sense.

Christina

I have to assume (dangerous I know) that there is no way in the system to charge you the MB rate for the B1. It would have to be done manually and most likely by someone in revenue managent not the normal reservations team. I have to believe with a lot of calls and emails it could be done but not a simple process.

Ah, ok that makes sense, thanks!

Christina

️ You know you're a cruise addict if:

You know what DOtD and OBC mean.

You enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

Don't give up Christina - try another rep. We had a much nicer person on the phone today who really listened to our plight. As posted in another thread, our issue was that we couldn't upgrade from B1 to M3 (which we did not want anyway - we chose 3 afts together on purpose a year ago), because upgrading would be leaving behind 2 insides adjacent to the afts with minors. There was no inside available anywhere near the M3's they were offering - again... we did NOT want an upgrade (just some obc), but even if we agreed, where were the kids going to go? This rep finally understood and negotiated with his supervisor. The rep from last night just wouldn't even let us explain our position.

Moral of the story... try try again. Good luck ;)

Yea, I would try again. Somebody can do it.

Meanwhile, after so many said they preferred the aft cabins, we did it.

My summary? Would not do it again. If you like white noise (loud at times) and do not mind a little extra vibration from the engines, then go for it. We prefer a side balcony.

Many do not.

Be careful of the aft balconies, if the ones you are looking at are one of the two in the middle I would pass on them. They are very small. Balcony is a tad bit bigger but the room is smaller, two people cannot pass walking by each other in the room and the bathrooms are set up differently. I would stick with the mini suite.

Be careful of the aft balconies, if the ones you are looking at are one of the two in the middle I would pass on them. They are very small. Balcony is a tad bit bigger but the room is smaller, two people cannot pass walking by each other in the room and the bathrooms are set up differently. I would stick with the mini suite.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! I will probably stick with the mini suite anyway. Next time I book, I'm waiting til the last minute to book when aft prices are lower.

Christina

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that! I will probably stick with the mini suite anyway. Next time I book, I'm waiting til the last minute to book when aft prices are lower.

If you want to hedge your bets, book early and watch the prices. You can always cancel before final if you think the prices will drop far enough.

My summary? Would not do it again. If you like white noise (loud at times) and do not mind a little extra vibration from the engines, then go for it. We prefer a side balcony.

Many do not.

Wow, it's not very often I run into someone who thinks like we do regarding the aft cabins. We didn't like the extra vibration and stick with side balconies also.

Many do not.

Wow, it's not very often I run into someone who thinks like we do regarding the aft cabins. We didn't like the extra vibration and stick with side balconies also.

Add us to the list of those who do not prefer aft balconies. In addition to the vibration, there is little breeze. We too stick with side balconies now.

You need to speak to the Miami office.

They have all the power.

305-436-4000 8am-5pm EDT

That's the corporate office phone #. Tell them your problem and ask for someone who can fix this for you.

Good luck.

Next time I book, I'm waiting til the last minute to book when aft prices are lower.

While that may seem like a good strategy, it doesn't always work that way in practice.

As an example, I have two upcoming cruises booked for this year.

The current price for my Canada/New England cruise on the Norwegian Gem is 165% of the price point at which I booked.

The current price for my cruise on the Pride of America is 214% of the original booking price.

Had I waited on either of those cruises, I would end up paying significantly more AND I wouldn't have nearly as many options available for cabin selection.

Vibration in aft cabins is not unique to any particular cruise line. It is inherent in the beast...engines and "propellers"are at the stern. Lower decks get more noise and vibration (from this source). Higher decks may get more problems from other sources.

Aft cabin on CCL Fascination DID seem smaller than balcony cabins on sides of ship.

Will the noise and vibration bother you? Only you can answer ( and only after sailing). We were always intrigued by the aft cabins. Will we do it again? Maybe, maybe not. Either way we'll have a great cruise.

I will venture to say that you will find the aft view wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks DarthDaddy. I see quite a few posts stating how aft balcony cabins are in high demand and seem to sell out first. I guess like everything. Half love them and half don't.

I have a mid-ship mini-suite (Category MB) booked on Breakaway in 3 weeks, and I've always wanted an aft balcony, so when I saw that aft balconies (category B1) have gone down in price, I called to see if I could change to an aft balcony. My TA called NCL, who said that since cat. B1 is a lower price point (and thus less desirable) category than MB mini suites (in which the only difference from a regular balcony cabin is the size of the bathroom), I could not downgrade.

Now, I'm not looking for OBC or a refund of the difference, and I told him I didn't care that I paid more, I would prefer an aft balcony. He didn't understand why I wanted a cabin at the back of the ship over a mid-ship cabin with a larger bathroom. I guess he's never been in an aft balcony.

If NCL is trying to free up the "more desirable" and more expensive cabins, why wouldn't they want me to give up my MB for an aft balcony? Doesn't make sense.

Christina

Actually, this can be done. I have personally had this happen. The problem is the people you are talking to does not understand it is doable and your TA probably isn't doing everything they can do get it done. Basically they will move you, however, they will not refund you any of the difference (which you already explained you don't care about) so, if its still all the same, try again, don't take no for an answer.

Actually, this can be done. I have personally had this happen. The problem is the people you are talking to does not understand it is doable and your TA probably isn't doing everything they can do get it done. Basically they will move you, however, they will not refund you any of the difference (which you already explained you don't care about) so, if its still all the same, try again, don't take no for an answer.

This. I have done this as well (although in my case the B1 was more $ than the mini I was in). My PCC moved me without a problem. Tell your TA to keep calling.

Christina - keep in mind the remaining afts that are available are on decks 14 and 9, which have the smallest of the aft balconies. Bigger than Breakaways side balcony cabins, but not tremendous like afts on other decks; not all the afts are the same depth. And deck 14 doesn't have any one above it.

These are our first aft facing balconies (deck 11) so I can only hope we love them as much as we imagined we will. :cool:

Edited by VickiD59

Thanks everyone! I am going to call my TA back and explain to them doing it as a simple change (which they have a $25 charge for, but I don't care). I think they thought I wanted an upgrade due to the price change. I'll report back here to let you all know if it works!

Christina

I just tried to UPGRADE from 2 attached balcony rooms to a 2 bedroom suite on the July 12th Jade sailing and they couldn't do it. Spent an hour on the phone with them to find out that the insurance would be less going from two rooms to one (even though the suite cost more than the two balcony rooms combined) and thus their computer wouldn't allow it. I even said I would be okay with keeping the insurance price the same since it was for the same number of people and they STILL couldn't do it. First time I've ever had a business turn me down when I wanted to give them more money. Frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While that may seem like a good strategy, it doesn't always work that way in practice.

As an example, I have two upcoming cruises booked for this year.

The current price for my Canada/New England cruise on the Norwegian Gem is 165% of the price point at which I booked.

The current price for my cruise on the Pride of America is 214% of the original booking price.

Had I waited on either of those cruises, I would end up paying significantly more AND I wouldn't have nearly as many options available for cabin selection.

That's because you aren't close to either of those cruises (Sep and Nov) right now.

I can pretty much guarantee that, unless you have a Mini Suite or better, those prices will fall big time as it gets very close to sail date.

We sailed on the NCL Gem in an aft balcony, the room was great normal sized balcony cabin the balcony was much larger, we had no vibration at all. And the views when we sailed out of harbour were fantastic. I would always choose an aft!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did it!! I tried my TA again, and though she told me that since the aft balcony is a lower price than my mini-suite they probably couldn't do it on their system, since they can't give a refund after final payment. When I told her I didn't want a refund, I just wanted an aft balcony, she explained that to NCL, and finally they did it! I realize the room is smaller, but I've always wanted to try an aft balcony so its worth it.

Moral: Try, try again...

Christina:)

I did it!! I tried my TA again, and though she told me that since the aft balcony is a lower price than my mini-suite they probably couldn't do it on their system, since they can't give a refund after final payment. When I told her I didn't want a refund, I just wanted an aft balcony, she explained that to NCL, and finally they did it! I realize the room is smaller, but I've always wanted to try an aft balcony so its worth it.

Moral: Try, try again...

Christina:)

Which deck? Decks 9 and 12 have the largest aft balconies, followed by deck 11. Decks 13 and 14 have the smallest balcony and are also prone to hearing music late at night from the aft deck party on 15.