San Juan Forts

Dr Dave

Hi everyone,

I'm headed to San Juan next month on the Carnival Liberty with my brother. Were both in our late 20s and not disinclined to a bit of walking. My question is what would be the recommended way to see the forts in San Juan? Is this something that you could walk to/take a cab from the pier? Is it best to do this through one of the ship's excursions? I'm pretty sure that an air conditioned bus would be appealing, but we are both history buffs, and would not be crazy about being rushed by an excursion tour guide. Thoughts?

Hi everyone,

I'm headed to San Juan next month on the Carnival Liberty with my brother. Were both in our late 20s and not disinclined to a bit of walking. My question is what would be the recommended way to see the forts in San Juan?

The best way would be to walk to the forts yourselves.

Is this something that you could walk to/take a cab from the pier?

It is a nice 20-30 mins walk along the shoreline to get to Fort Morro. I believe there are 6- 7 levels to see and you start at the top that has amazing views of the sea.

Is it best to do this through one of the ship's excursions?

No, being the history buffs that you are, it's best to do it on your own and spend as much time as you want at each fort. Don't recall the forts as a ship excursion anyway.

I'm pretty sure that an air conditioned bus would be appealing, but we are both history buffs, and would not be crazy about being rushed by an excursion tour guide. Thoughts?

See my comments in red. Your admission fee is also good for the entrance to both forts, so save your receipt. If it is hot and humid, bring water. There is a CVS store right across the street from the ship's pier where you can purchase the water. You can catch the free tram to the fort across the street from CVS or ride the tram back to the pier. There is an interesting cemetery right next door, that has fantastic views. Wear comfortable shoes.

Edited by Life is Good Cruising

See my comments in red. Your admission fee is also good for the entrance to both forts, so save your receipt. If it is hot and humid, bring water. There is a CVS store right across the street from the ship's pier where you can purchase the water. You can catch the free tram to the fort across the street from CVS or ride the tram back to the pier. There is an interesting cemetery right next door, that has fantastic views. Wear comfortable shoes.

Thanks for your information. We will also have a port call in San Juan, but only from 3-9pm. Since the forts close at 6pm, I think we only have time for one. Any thoughts as between the two?

And which fort does the free tram service?

Thanks!

Actually another way for disinclined walkers is to take the free trolley to the forts and walk down. It is all uphill walking and can very hot and humid. Walking down is way easier :) either way, just know there is free trolley. It stops numerous places from the dock to the forts and you can get off and on at many places. There are signs at all the stopping places. If you start walking and get tired, get on and ride a bit. It is an easy town to navigate and one of the most fun!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Edited by homeschoolmama

Ps taking an air conditioned bus would NOT be the way to see osj. Streets are too narrow, and too much to see walking, ie churches, architecture, cafes, historical sites, plazas. You can walk the whole town and fort in a day.

Hi everyone,

I'm headed to San Juan next month on the Carnival Liberty with my brother. Were both in our late 20s and not disinclined to a bit of walking. My question is what would be the recommended way to see the forts in San Juan? Is this something that you could walk to/take a cab from the pier? Is it best to do this through one of the ship's excursions? I'm pretty sure that an air conditioned bus would be appealing, but we are both history buffs, and would not be crazy about being rushed by an excursion tour guide. Thoughts?

Absolutely not a place to do a ship excursion and no need for a tour guide. It's an easy (for 20 Y.O's) walk uphill to the forts. I would suggest visiting both even if it means you shorten each visit. Being part of the National Parks system the signage is well done and very informative. You will also have plenty of time to walk the narrow cobblestone streets of OSJ.

If you have any interest in a guided tour of the rest of OSJ I would highly recommend the Segway tour. They are easy and fun to ride and you get to see so much more of the town than you would on foot.

Also, there is a free trolly that goes around but it seems to always be full. Not sure if there is a better place to board than near the ship pier.

Our experience has had the ship dock before 3 and we had plenty of time to visit both forts. Done by 5 and time to find a lovely terrace for a pina colada.

Edited by monicajay

MY opinion is that the walk is great if you want to do it. It is very picturesque and historic. When you get off the ship just head west (left) and try to have or stop and get some water as you will want some. Keep walking west along the Paseo de la Princessa where there will be tons of local vendors of crafts and snack stuff. There is a guy along here that peels local oranges and sells the oranges to eat for $.50 a piece or fresh juice (very good) for $1.00 with ice or $1.50 without. Anyway just keep walking then right at the fountain and along the wall until the old city gate. Go through then turn left and follow the streets up to El Morro (very easy to find just keep going up hill) Then you come to the great lawn and see the fort in the distance. Usually there lots of kids flying kites there (pretty cool sight) Once you get to the fort the speed at which you tour is up to you. Remember if you want to catch the trolley you can anywhere along it route but if you don't mind the walk you will get more out of the experience and see more of the city. There is so much to see and you will appreciate the time period if you love history. Enjoy your cruise and time in San Juan... it is a great city and so much to experience there. If you want I have lots of San Juan pictures in my 2 Victory reviews.

A couple of views of the walk around the west side of the city walls on the way to El Morro.

IMG_0214.jpg

DSCF6765.jpg

Here is a pic of the free trolley while stopped at El Morro.

DSC01487_zps56653648.jpg

So many cool things to see in both forts... there are awesome historic stories there.

IMG_1238_zps058edc79.jpg

Here is the Cemetary next to El Morro. Very interesting and on the way to San Cristobal or vice versa.

IMG_2055_zps405c9040.jpg

A view from El Morro along the coast to San Cristobal (see the flags on the fort) you can also see the infamous La Perla neighborhood on the left outside the walls of the city...(don't go in there. you wont just wander in...)

IMG_1262_zps63f78e9e.jpg

Actually another way for disinclined walkers is to take the free trolley to the forts and walk down. It is all uphill walking and can very hot and humid. Walking down is way easier :) either way, just know there is free trolley. It stops numerous places from the dock to the forts and you can get off and on at many places. There are signs at all the stopping places. If you start walking and get tired, get on and ride a bit. It is an easy town to navigate and one of the most fun!

Thats what we did, the downhill walk i smuch easier :p

Thanks for your information. We will also have a port call in San Juan, but only from 3-9pm. Since the forts close at 6pm, I think we only have time for one. Any thoughts as between the two?

And which fort does the free tram service?

Thanks!

If you were to do only due 1 fort, I would suggest San Felipe del Morro. There is a free tram and trolley that would stop at both forts, see map.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan

You can see the 2 forts on this map.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201596911832221489917.0004d2dbb2503fe87b09a&msa=0&dg=feature

If you were to do only due 1 fort, I would suggest San Felipe del Morro. There is a free tram and trolley that would stop at both forts, see map.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan

You can see the 2 forts on this map.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201596911832221489917.0004d2dbb2503fe87b09a&msa=0&dg=feature

Great maps.... I agree if you can only see one El Morro is the one. However on the flip side of that is.. San Cristobal is a lot closer to the ship. So it is easier to walk to, just a few blocks north and east. It also has a lot to see and probably a little more pristine in preservation. They are both so cool though. El Morro is so big and has spectacular views, San Cristobal has a lot of cool displays and dungeons etc. You really can't go wrong either way. :D

The streets up to the Forts are very steep. Last time I was there I took the free bus up to San Cristobel then when we were done there we jumped on another free bus over to El Morro then walked down through the town. Old San Juan is a beautiful city! And I loved walking down from the forts.