25 August Citivicchia to Capriano Airport

jillybarchester

I've just realised I may have made a big booboo putting this cruise/flights together. I need to get from the Noordam when it docks in Citivavecchia to Campiano Airport to pick up a 10.30 flight. Having travelled from Citivavecchia by train into Rome easily once before I didn't think it would be a problem. Now I find Campiano Airport is the other side of Rome to the port.

Has anyone managed this transfer using the train and shuttle bus?

As I see it my alternatives are to arrange a private transfer costing £120 OR go by train into Rome and have an arranged transfer waiting for me at the station. (I've already got a request on the Roll Call for someone to share but no luck so far).

HELP.......

WOW! I do not recall ever having seen a similar post on CC. And yes, you do have a problem..although it can certainly be solved with money. Going into Termini on the train and then getting a shuttle bus out to Campiano is going to be a real hassle, take a long time, and mean you have to drag your luggage to the Civitavecchia train station (not easy at the moment since they are using a temporary bus drop that is far from the station) and then have a long distance to again drag your luggage from the distant track (used by the train from Civitavecchia to the main entrance of Termini). Personally, if we had your issue, we would pay the price for a private transfer unless it is less expensive to change your flights to a FCO departure.

And if your flight is at 10:30 AM you have an even bigger issue since even a private transfer will take at least an hour and more likely close to 1:15 in the morning traffic. This actually leaves you with no option other then a very early private transfer that leaves the pier by 7:30.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I've just realised I may have made a big booboo putting this cruise/flights together. I need to get from the Noordam when it docks in Citivavecchia to Campiano Airport to pick up a 10.30 flight. Having travelled from Citivavecchia by train into Rome easily once before I didn't think it would be a problem. Now I find Campiano Airport is the other side of Rome to the port.

As I see it my alternatives are to arrange a private transfer costing £120 OR go by train into Rome and have an arranged transfer waiting for me at the station. (I've already got a request on the Roll Call for someone to share but no luck so far).

HELP.......

Having just gone through Rome a couple of weeks ago all I can say is that I wish you the best of luck....a lot of luck. Since you're kind of stuck with your "boohoo" I guess I'd go with the private transfer directly from the port to the airport. I have no experience with going all the way into Rome by train and then on to Campiano so can't help there but my impression is that you'd be hard pressed to make it that way.

HELP.......

This is actually not the craziest flight time I've ever heard of on disembarking from Civi. The craziest was my trivia partners (a very nice, sensible, and intelligent couple from Buckinghamshire) having booked a FCO-LHR flight for 7:30 am. They obviously had a wild love for risk I had been until then unaware of... :D

For your situation, at least on paper, it looks doable by train depending on the time you can get off the ship. It's around 1:40 going Civi-Termini-Ciampino station (the train station, which is I think a 5-minute bus ride from the airport). Considering this is inter-Europe, I would say as long as you make the 7:02 am train from Civi you should be good - that would get you to Ciampino at around 8:43, so with transfer to the airport around 1:30 before your flight. There are earlier trains, but this would be the latest I would want to take to make my flight.

Two points that will help you:

-Checking in online the night before, if offered by your airline;

-Packing as light as possible, which both helps you on the trains and enables you to go carry-on only on the plane.

Thanks for the advice and commisserations folks. Looks as though a private transfer is the safest way. I'll book that now and just hope that I can get someone to share later. A lesson learnt!

Any recommendations for a reliable transfer company? (heehee)