Texting on the ship

mikem5

If I text from carnival I know that I pay 50€ per text sent, and nothing for incoming texts because I have AT&T. But I text someone while on board that has Verizon. Are they charged to text me? Or is the person on the ship the only one charged?

If I text from carnival I know that I pay 50€ per text sent, and nothing for incoming texts because I have AT&T. But I text someone while on board that has Verizon. Are they charged to text me? Or is the person on the ship the only one charged?

When you are on the ship and using cellular at sea you are using the ships cell tower which then transmits to a satellite to a land tower and back.

So nothing about your plan is really in effect. Here is part of an article talking about the rates and the link so you can read the whole article. And as far as your Verizon friend sending or receiving texts from you, the same rates apply because again the ships equipment is not a private network, it's basically satellite service.

http://***************/cellular-at-sea-know-your-rates-before-you-go/

Verizon: Voice 2.59 per minute, incoming text .05, out going text 1.50, Data plans for purchase 100mb for $25

At&T (Celebrity Ship used for example):

Voice 2.50 per minute, income text, pictures and video at standard rate, send text $.50, send picture or video $1.30, data .0195 per kb

T-Mobile: list their charges as up to $5.99 per minute.

Any texting would be really expensive , It has to go thru Cellualar At Sea , Even AT T to AT T .We turn our phones off while on the ship , Even the phone receiving updates , People have come home to bills in the thousands

you pay $.50 per text in or out for using the ship cell tower. other people on land pay what they normaly pay. free if they have texting pagage. $.20 if they do not. or what ever they have

With AT&T, you'll pay nothing for incoming texts (no images) and $0.50 for outgoing texts, like you said.

Is the person with Verizon on the ship, or back on land? If they are back on land, they do not incur any extra fees, and only pay what they normally do for texting. If they have unlimited texting, there is no charge.

You don't need to put it on airplane mode. You need to turn off data roaming and cellular data. It turns off internet but still allows you to receive and send texts and calls.

But any incoming texts have a surcharge since Cellular at Sea relays them, right?

If I put my phone in airplane mode while on the ship, will I be okay to take pictures and not accrue cost?

Ditto, will this work? I don't want to text or call, just take pictures.

Nevermnd....I saw the answer above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nursepixie

I have AT&T and called them this morning. There is no charge for incoming texts and 50 cents for normal outgoing texts. $1.30 for photo or video texts. They will also count against any text limits in your plan. Calls are charged at $2.50/minute. And you will be charged this rate even for checking voice mail.

I was on RCI to Bermuda 2 yrs ago. I turned off my Data and had no issues. I stopped all of my txt notifications so I did not automatically get those. (sports teams msgs, news & weather alerts etc.) it is easy to opt out and then back in when I returned. I would txt my family back home from the ship a couple of times a day, and they would txt me,. Then in Bermuda when I got on land I did call and talk twice a day and txt a few times too. My bill bill increased roughly $20 for that trip, and then the same thing when I went to Bahamas last year. I can handle that. Just make sure you disable the Data....that is where people really get into those big bills. Oh yeah, I have Verizon.

You don't need to put it on airplane mode. You need to turn off data roaming and cellular data. It turns off internet but still allows you to receive and send texts and calls.

True and AT&T has a pretty reasonable international texting plan, can't remember the exact cost but I think it was $10.

On the past two cruises, we had Verizon and had the kids (at home) keep in touch with us via text messaging.

Inbound texts were $.05 and sent texts (I think) were $.15.

I was pleasantly surprised NOT to find any hidden charges, etc. after we returned both times.

Now we're on T-Mobile and I don't know what to expect yet. Will have to find out before the next cruise.

Wife and I both have Verizon. We buy $50-100 wifi plan on board for occasional email checking on cell phones and split it. We both turn off data and data roaming, leave cellular and txt on. Once in a while we'll text each other if we are off doing separate things. Only ever cost us 0.50 to send and .05 to receive texts.

For longer phone calls I pickup the phone in the room and call back to states....saves $0.50/minute that way.

Besides the wifi purchase, our cell bills went up about $40 collectively last cruise.

On the past two cruises, we had Verizon and had the kids (at home) keep in touch with us via text messaging.

I was pleasantly surprised NOT to find any hidden charges, etc. after we returned both times.

Now we're on T-Mobile and I don't know what to expect yet. Will have to find out before the next cruise.

Did the texts that your kids sent you get charged? I have att. And I understand I pay 50€ per text. But my girlfriend/ house/dog sitter has verizon. And I don't want her to haw to pay. Only me.

If the house / dog sitter in the USA texts your USA mobile phone number while you're on the cruise ship or island, she will not be charged anything above what her normal text messaging plan is (most people have unlimited texting these days?).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

The person is on land with Verizon. I don't want them to have to pay, I don't mind paying to have piece of mind and contact family at home.

They will not be charged anything in addition to what they are currently subscribed for. There is no cost if they have an unlimited texting option. If they don't have unlimited texting, it will charged at the per-text rate.

Did the texts that your kids sent you get charged? I have att. And I understand I pay 50€ per text. But my girlfriend/ house/dog sitter has verizon. And I don't want her to haw to pay. Only me.

50 cents, not 50 Euros :)

No, only the person on the boat has the charges. The person on land will be able to send/receive texts to you at their normal rates.

What would be an example of a "hidden" charge?

I sell phones to the new Navy Sailors, so here's the real scoop. Please ignore MOST of what was already posted, as it's incorrect.

Anyone you text will not be charged. Only you will be.

You are correct on your charges 50 cent outoging

Anyone you text will not be charged. Only you will be.

Of course, the Cellular At Sea charge at 50 cents - that only applies to you sending a text message from the ship. The recipient's charge (or lack thereof) will be accessed depending on their wireless plan.

But saying flat out that "anyone you text will not be charged" - that's a very inaccurate way to phrase it. You are assuming that the recipient of your text message has a plan that includes text messages. Most people do - but not all. For example, I have service through Sprint, and I deliberately chose a non-smart phone that has NO data plan whatsoever. So every time someone texts me, *I* pay 20 cents per text (regardless of what they pay or not pay).