White Pass Railway

joromay

Has anyone does this excursion and can give any tips? I've heard that if it's raining or cloudy that it's not worth going since you won't see anything. Any thoughts? RCL said we could cancel with 24 hours notice, but what would be good alternative? Thanks all!

Yes, I have taken this train numerous times, including already this year. Will be doing the Lake Bennett in a week++

You can NOT tell what the weather is on the summit from Skagway. If there is fog, it usually isn't the whole trip. It comes and goes. and actually interesting viewing as well.

We've done the White Pass rail trip. Lovely, but a time commitment.

Alternatives:

Gentle bike tour through the ghost town of Dyea.... We loved this.

Walking with gentle hikes... Skagway is extremely foot friendly, with a Ranger Station in town to help (just crowded)... We enjoyed the self guided historical tour, using a free pamphlet from the Ranger Station.

Horseback riding (similar route the bike tour takes)... We're scheduled to do this with our teenage daughters next week!

Renting a car and completing a self guided road trip. See Murry's Road Guide, mentioned on several other threads.

Lots of options in Skagway!

We have done the train and would never do it again. I think it is ok if you are older, want to see a little scenery and then take a nap. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague.

Thanks everyone! I've also been thinking of the Dog Musher Camp Experience. Any thoughts?

Which one?? The ship tour is way more comprehensive compared to Caribou Crossing, which the Chilkoot tour uses.

We went 2 weeks ago and my daughter loved it. I'm 39 and she is 9. Lots to see but if you don't like wilderness scenery then it might not be your cup of tea. We picked up the train in white pass down to Skagway so our ride was 1 1/2 hours. We used chilkoot charters.

We went 2 weeks ago and my daughter loved it. I'm 39 and she is 9. Lots to see but if you don't like wilderness scenery then it might not be your cup of tea. We picked up the train in white pass down to Skagway so our ride was 1 1/2 hours. We used chilkoot charters.

Yes, that is exactly what I want to see. My daughter is 7 and she loves trains so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks everyone!

Budget Queen

You mentioned that you are going to Bennett Lake. Do you know the main difference between the tour that takes you into the Yukon and goes to Carcross and Caribou Crossing, visiting the dog camp and the wildlife museum, versus the tour that goes to Bennett Lake. Which one do you recommend and why? We have only done the round trip White Pass Rail tour on a previous trip and did not go into the Yukon.

Thank You

Budget Queen

You mentioned that you are going to Bennett Lake. Do you know the main difference between the tour that takes you into the Yukon and goes to Carcross and Caribou Crossing, visiting the dog camp and the wildlife museum, versus the tour that goes to Bennett Lake. Which one do you recommend and why? We have only done the round trip White Pass Rail tour on a previous trip and did not go into the Yukon.

Thank You

I'm not BQ, but I've done both of these trips so I will comment.

The Lake Bennett trip goes much further on the train, all the way to Carcross. You get to see scenery that is only accessible by train, including the historic town of Bennett. You eat lunch at the Bennett station. (And IMO, the food is much better than what you get at Caribou Crossing!) You still get to go to Emerald Lake and make some of the other stops along the highway, but you do not go to Caribou Crossing to see the museum, dogs, etc.

Having done both, I much prefer the Lake Bennett trip, and hope to do it again someday.