200,000gt prototype newbuild for NCL??

eroller

Cruise Industry News is reporting that Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany is close to purchasing STX Turku shipyard in Finland, and with the completion of this sale would be new ship orders at Meyer Werft for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and new orders at Turku (200,000gt prototype) for NCL. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out!

I guess NCL is going with the bigger is better approach since it seems it will be bigger then the Escape and Bliss

It does seem that way. Initially NCL management felt that EPIC was too big, but apparently they have changed their minds.

Cruise Industry News is reporting that Meyer Werft shipyard in Germany is close to purchasing STX Turku shipyard in Finland, and with the completion of this sale would be new ship orders at Meyer Werft for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and new orders at Turku (200,000gt prototype) for NCL. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out!

Ooops ... sorry about my similar thread ... I didn't see yours and don't know how to delete mine!

I would sail one, especially if they feature a better adults-only pool experience. I would likely even pay a little premium for it. A glass roof might be nice, too. All the other cruise lines have them.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

It is a simple thing .. they cannot build larger than the Escape / Bliss class in Pappenbuettel, due to the river Ems crossing requirements. So obviously there is demand for bigger ships ( Disney, NCL ..) with the Meyer Werft quality and this would be the solution to the problem .

People don't seem to have a problem with bigger ships. It means more choices and amenities. The Oasis Class is a prime example. They tend to garner some of the highest yields in the Caribbean on a consistent basis. Only Disney does better.

Of course the cruise lines love the larger ships for economy of scale. There is still only one Captain, Staff Captain, etc. but for far more passengers. With improved hull and engine efficiency these new larger ships are far more efficient than smaller ships even from 5 years ago.

The key is making sure people don't get turned off to the larger ships due to excessive lines and crowding. No one wants that on vacation. Royal Caribbean has done an amazing job in that regard with the Oasis Class, so it will be interesting to see how NCL compares.

We do not like the mega ships. Prefer ships with no more than 3000 passengers.

The Mega ship that we cruised on was the Epic. The food was good, but the ship always seemed overcrowded. Also, the main pool was not usable, due the the huge crowds and way to noisy people on the PA system.