Is this normal with an Early Saver Rate?

Cheetah474

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested to knowing if this is standard for Carnival's Early Saver price protection situations. I booked a late August cruise in March under the Early Saver Rate. It was $50 deposit with final payment due 30 before the sailing. I noticed the price went down and on SAturday morningI submitted a price protection form. At 10:30pm tonight I received an email stating that my final payment was past due and that I needed to pay my balance in 5 days or the cruise would be automatically cancelled. I called Carnival and spoke to a rep because I didn't get what was going on at all. She stated that my fare had been changed from ES to another fair type. She wasn't able to tell me the name of the mew fare. I explained that I never received any info that my price protection request had been accepted or that my due date changed or the terms of my new fair. She then, quite testily, said that she would do me a favor and change the fair back to the original ES rate. What's up with this. Is it standard that I wouldn't get info from Carnival about a due date change? When I explained to the rep that I was really confused about this, she said that I should have called rather than submitting the form. Then I would have learned that my due date changed. Huh? Is that the standard too? I'm just wondering and would love some advice/experience people have with this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It all seems very confusing, but this usually pops up with the $50 deposit sales. Even though you were entitled to price drops as part of the ES rate you booked and your final payment is not due until 30 days before, Carnival matches the terms of the fare you price matched--in this case probably a rate that required a full deposit and whose PIF date has already passed. Hence, why they are requiring you to pay the full balance. You are still considered Early Saver, but you have to meet the criteria for the match. You should've gotten an email from the department that handles price drops confirming that they've lowered your fare. However, they don't notify you of the changes to your final payment date or that you need to increase your deposit--that's where that pesky cancellation email comes in.

We had this problem with my brother's cabin for my wedding--luckily I had the funds sitting aside to make his full deposit.

This happens

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested to knowing if this is standard for Carnival's Early Saver price protection situations. I booked a late August cruise in March under the Early Saver Rate. It was $50 deposit with final payment due 30 before the sailing. I noticed the price went down and on SAturday morningI submitted a price protection form. At 10:30pm tonight I received an email stating that my final payment was past due and that I needed to pay my balance in 5 days or the cruise would be automatically cancelled. I called Carnival and spoke to a rep because I didn't get what was going on at all. She stated that my fare had been changed from ES to another fair type. She wasn't able to tell me the name of the mew fare. I explained that I never received any info that my price protection request had been accepted or that my due date changed or the terms of my new fair. She then, quite testily, said that she would do me a favor and change the fair back to the original ES rate. What's up with this. Is it standard that I wouldn't get info from Carnival about a due date change? When I explained to the rep that I was really confused about this, she said that I should have called rather than submitting the form. Then I would have learned that my due date changed. Huh? Is that the standard too? I'm just wondering and would love some advice/experience people have with this situation.

A lot of people never even got the email that their payment was past due. carnival simply cancelled them.

Stupid way of doing business in the sense that they can't even let you know of the changes until in some cases it's too late.

I always thought that their objective was to fill ships, not empty them but what do i know.:confused:

Bill

Thanks for the info and the feedback. This is a horrible way to do business. It really feels like a 'bait and switch' scheme when it comes to price matches. I could understand if I actually got communication from Carnival that I received a fare change, but I didn't, just a demand for more money - due immediately. I don't want to sound like a snob here but I'll say this anyway. This is a bonus vacation for us and if I hadn't already bought the airline tix to NOLA, I would completely cancel this and choose another cruise line out of Florida. I don't typically spend money with companies that treat their customers like this. The fact that this is not atypical behavior indicates Carnival's general disregard and arrogance towards their customers.

Thanks for the info and the feedback. This is a horrible way to do business. It really feels like a 'bait and switch' scheme when it comes to price matches. I could understand if I actually got communication from Carnival that I received a fare change, but I didn't, just a demand for more money - due immediately. I don't want to sound like a snob here but I'll say this anyway. This is a bonus vacation for us and if I hadn't already bought the airline tix to NOLA, I would completely cancel this and choose another cruise line out of Florida. I don't typically spend money with companies that treat their customers like this. The fact that this is not atypical behavior indicates Carnival's general disregard and arrogance towards their customers.

No, it's not bait and switch. You are changing from one promotion to another promotion and you change everything that goes with the promotions. Does one really expect to get all of the benefits from all the different promotions offered over the course of days leading up to a cruise? No, it's pick your promotion and stick with it or read the fine print on the new promotion.

Don't let 1 "bad apple" ruin the bunch. Yes, sometimes we speak with agents who are not as friendly as others but overall, I've had very good customer service dealing with Carnival. Since this was my first time booking with early saver, I just called and requested the price drops/obc. It was much easier and due to a couple of agent mishaps I got some extra obc in the process. :D

As previous posters mention, you price adjust to the current promotional terms. ES booking just allows you price check up until 2 days before sailing (instead of final payment date). I would be thankful your cruise was not cancelled as others have been without notice. Happy Cruzin! :)

Edited by HoneyBeeGood

Once you changed to the lower rate, you changed to the conditions under that code. Every rate has its own benefits. You only enjoy the ones for the rate you're booked under. Not all of them. It can be confusing but isn't bait and switch or anything like that. Nothing arrogant about it. Frankly, I think Carnival is very liberal with allowing people to switch to any rate they choose up to final payment always and up to 2 days before sailing with early saver.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Dont judge one bad expierence with a rep to be the normal. I have called Carnival dozens of times and never have I had a bad expierence with one of them. Theyall went the extra mile to help.

I'm not upset that I would have to be subject to the new fare rules, I'm frustrated that I Carnival did not follow their own policies by informing me of a fare change. That's in the fine print - that Carnival will inform the customer within 2 business days of their acceptance (or not) of the price adjustment. A lot of folks assume that everyone ignores the fine print but in this case I did not. Carnival has a service agreement that should be complied with by both the company and the customer. I shouldn't have to feel grateful that I didn't lose money because they didn't communicate with me. Most other companies that price match(e.g. Southwest) have very clear and * consistent* policies that don't depend on who answers the phone and if they decide to follow their own rules. I'm not bashing Carnival, I'm just not going to give them my money again after this. We went on an extended family cruise before and I decided to give it one more chance. Now I know. Carnival won't miss my money because are several folks who are ok with their booking policies.

I'm not upset that I would have to be subject to the new fare rules, I'm frustrated that I Carnival did not follow their own policies by informing me of a fare change. That's in the fine print - that Carnival will inform the customer within 2 business days of their acceptance (or not) of the price adjustment. A lot of folks assume that everyone ignores the fine print but in this case I did not. Carnival has a service agreement that should be complied with by both the company and the customer. I shouldn't have to feel grateful that I didn't lose money because they didn't communicate with me. Most other companies that price match(e.g. Southwest) have very clear and * consistent* policies that don't depend on who answers the phone and if they decide to follow their own rules. I'm not bashing Carnival, I'm just not going to give them my money again after this. We went on an extended family cruise before and I decided to give it one more chance. Now I know. Carnival won't miss my money because are several folks who are ok with their booking policies.

It seems to me that Carnival DID notify you of a rules change when they sent you the email about canceling your cruise. You submitted a form, wanted the price drop, then when Carnival went to price it, you were under new rules and were now overdue for final payment. I don't think they did anything wrong, as they did send you notice. I do understand how you feel, but if you make a change, then it is up to you to look at the new rules, however confusing they are.

I hope you get to enjoy the cruise. JMO.

I cannot figure out why you are upset. You asked for a price adjustment to a new promotion that you had a right to request under your booking terms. They sent you an email within the 2 business days basically saying your request was approved and that according to the new terms of your promotion you must pay in full within 5 days or have the cruise cancelled. You didn't like the new terms (which, honestly, was a misunderstanding on your part) and so they agreed to switch you back to the original terms. Sorry, you cannot have your cake and eat it, too. While I think that overall I have had good luck with Carnival Customer Service, I do know that you can ask different reps the same thing and get different answers. The thing is, if they are telling you what the actual "rules" are for something and that rep refuses to bend them, you cannot fault them for doing their job accurately. However, you do have the right to call back and see if someone you talk to next does have the capability to bend the rules. As in all businesses, different people have different power within the company. Don't fault someone for doing their job. I don't know of any rep that could combine the terms from different promotions and give you the best of everything. That, I'm afraid, is just not possible. I know the early saver terms can be confusing, but don't get angry with the rep for enforcing them. You should have asked for clarification before booking if you did not understand them.

As others have said- could be worse. My SIL and I called about price drops, got them, asked if we owed anymore and both- different calls- were told no, only our final payment date had moved up a month. I would have paid the whole thing if they told me. 3 weeks later she got a call from the agent who booked her cruise and asked why she cancelled. We got re-booked but have different cabins and we both paid immediately. There were 3 cabins involved. I have cruised other lines and was amazed this happened. I emailed Carnival and was basically told- stuff happens. In the future I will request a PVP or pay the balance anytime I get a price drop.

As others have said- could be worse. My SIL and I called about price drops, got them, asked if we owed anymore and both- different calls- were told no, only our final payment date had moved up a month. I would have paid the whole thing if they told me. 3 weeks later she got a call from the agent who booked her cruise and asked why she cancelled. We got re-booked but have different cabins and we both paid immediately. There were 3 cabins involved. I have cruised other lines and was amazed this happened. I emailed Carnival and was basically told- stuff happens. In the future I will request a PVP or pay the balance anytime I get a price drop.

Well, you didn't owe anymore at that time, so the agent answered the question you asked correctly.

It's in the fine print of your ES fare that when you change to a different promotion, the rules of that promotion apply. There isn't a ton if fine print when it comes to fare rules, and everyone should take the time to read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a quick question for those that have ES price drops granted.

When the price drop is granted does Carnival send you a new confirmation with the new pricing?

Bill

Yes,I have always got one. I have at least 5 in my email for our upcoming cruise on Sat.

When the price drop is granted does Carnival send you a new confirmation with the new pricing?

Bill

Yes. I filled out the ES form online 7 ties for 1 cruise. I received 7 instant notifications that they received my form and 7 emails showing they request had been granted. The quickest I received confirmation was 12 hours, the longest it took was 4 days.

I actually called Carnival to speak about this situation and here's what happened.

1. The rep on the phone explained that I absolutely should have received notice that the price adjustment had been accepted.

2. I should have received an email notification that due date for the full amount had been changed from thirty days to immediately due following the email that my price adjustment was accepted.

3. She apologized that "some type of glitch" happened when the one department accepted the rate change, changed the promotion and automatically generated a response without insuring that the communications folks actually communicated the change to the customer.

4. She stated that it is *not* supposed to be the norm that there is not a an email providing some type of new receipt style information with new dates and amounts shown.

5. She apologized (which I did not expect her to do) for the behavior of the previous rep.

6. She asked if there was anything she could do to "make it right". I declined because I didn't call to get any free stuff. I called for an explanation so that I could take this cruise without being concerned about what else Carnival may do wrong with my booking.

So,I'm glad that I had a chance to speak with someone who explained the situation to me in detail and acknowledged the problem. Thanks to those for sharing their personal experiences with this type of situation.

After reading this board for a while, I'm baffled by the number of folks who seem to support Carnival's poor communication when it comes to these Early Saver price protection issues. I'm an educated professional with a graduate degree who reads fine print for a living (literally). I actually have a job where I *write* the fine print in contracts and agreements quite frequently. So, when I called Carnival today it wasn't because I was unaware that my fare rules could change it was because it did change and I wasn't informed - per the "small print" in Carnival's contract. So, Spotte, and other posters who feel the need to put posters like me down by implying that we are unable to read the fine print, please think twice before posting and defending a company that clearly (and reasonably) makes mistakes sometimes. I'm pretty sick and tired of reading the "you should have known better" response reasonable posters get pretty frequently get when questions are asked about fares and other issues that are Carnival related. Customers are not always right and neither is Carnival.

I booked early saver in October for this August. I booked it under the $50 deposit. When the price went down, that promo did not include the $50 deposit and I had to give the balance for the regular deposit. I didn't care, it was worth the discount. I never fill out the request form, I call and have a carnival rep make the price adjustment

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Bill

They are supposed to send a new confirmation, but mine came several hours after I got this note from the department that handles price drops.

Hello Carnival_Brides,

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

Great News! Your Early Saver request has been approved! Confirmations showing the rate adjustment have been sent to the email address you provided.

If you haven't paid your reservation in full, the final amount due for your cruise will be adjusted to reflect the difference.

If you have already paid for your cruise in full, no worries, the price difference will be applied as on board credit to your Sail & Sign account.

Thank you for choosing Carnival.

Sincerely,

Vernisha

I have a question. How long after you submitted the price adjustment form, did you receive the letter of possible cancellation? Just curious.

Edited by HoneyBeeGood