Saigon

Holiday90

There is no issue walking from the ship to the port gate, it really is only a 5 to 10 min stroll, and on the way back there was a bus at the gate to take you back, apparently you could walk out but not back in! Doesn't make sense! There was a lot of people walking to the port gates to do private tours. Enjoy, it was a fantastic port to visit.

There is nothing at the Phu My port, it is a working port, with a guard house at the entry gate, no shops at all.

Your taxi or tour guide will certainly call into a money exchange, or the ship may have currency exchange for you.

Please note that USD are widely accepted in Vietnam so unless you are planning to spend up and have tours organised you probably will not need Vietnamese Dong.

Just make sure you have small notes as you will be given change in local currency.

Also if you do have Dong spend it before you leave Vietnam as it is only worth wallpapering your toilet when you get home.

Does anyone know if there is a currency exchange in Phu My port open upon docking?

We didn't find any place in Saigon that didn't take US $$'s...we left some...loved the shopping at the Ben Thanh market :D:D

Some single US help ! My guide Zoom told me the art of shopping at Ben Thanh market :

Walk with him in a non-stop walk in 10 minutes to recognise State stores and private stores. Buying things from State stores is better. Should you love to shop at a private store :

1. Don't show your eagerness in buying that item.

2. Cut 2 thirds from the asking price. If they let you go make your price higher at the next private store.

Shopping at Ben Thanh market is fun, cannot miss.

Thanks...but I knew this (I shop in Asia a lot)...the only difference is I never go higher...I ask the price....they quote...I offer...they quote...I start going lower than my original offer. My DH is sure my picture is posted at many shopping venue's :D

I plan to book a 22-day Princess cruise from Japan to Australia (Nov. 2017). There will be 2 ports of call in Vietnam (Nha Trang and Phu My). I hold a U.S. passport. Anyone knows if I need to get Vietnam visa for this cruise?

Thank you.

I plan to book a 22-day Princess cruise from Japan to Australia (Nov. 2017). There will be 2 ports of call in Vietnam (Nha Trang and Phu My). I hold a U.S. passport. Anyone knows if I need to get Vietnam visa for this cruise?

Thank you.

Yes..you need a visa for Vietnam...We sailed on RCI and they did the visa's onboard the ship for everyone...we paid $6.00pp...check with PCL...it will be much cheaper than getting one yourself pre-cruise.

I have not sailed on Princess cruise before nor did I have a cruise with a stop in Vietnam. However, on cruises with stop in St Petersburg (Russia), you can get an "umbrella" visa from the cruise ship provided that you buy the shore excursions offered by the ship. If one intend to do his/her own sightseeing in Russia, then you have to procure your visa before leaving your home.

So I think it would be prudent for you to contact Princess to find out about the details for the Vietnam visa requirement for your stop there.

I have not sailed on Princess cruise before nor did I have a cruise with a stop in Vietnam. However, on cruises with stop in St Petersburg (Russia), you can get an "umbrella" visa from the cruise ship provided that you buy the shore excursions offered by the ship. If one intend to do his/her own sightseeing in Russia, then you have to procure your visa before leaving your home.

So I think it would be prudent for you to contact Princess to find out about the details for the Vietnam visa requirement for your stop there.

Same is true of tours arranged independently with accredited local tour operators in St Petersburg - though the cruise lines don't like you to know that ;)

But for Vietnam, Princess - like other cruise lines - will fix your visa on-board & charge your on-board account. A lot cheaper than it used to be, now around $10 to $15. One visa for all Vietnamese ports, no requirement to take ship's tours or transfers.

But it's not a standard tourist visa - its only good for arrival & departure on the ship. So if, for instance, you wanted to visit Angkor Wat & catch up with the ship in Vietnam you'd need your own tourist visa.

JB :)

I hate the tour agency visas in Russia where, as per the government, you have to come and go with the tour group and cannot do any independent touring. Yet that is the most convenient way to visit Russia because otherwise you have to apply and pay for a very expensive visa. Then there is the problem of getting around. The St. Petersburg's was in a distant area with few ready and affordable transportation alternatives. And I speak Russian!

In Vietnam, the blanket visa allows you to come and go during your stop. That is particularly handy in the provinces, enabling me to travel freely around Da Nang.

We are thinking of revisiting, probably on HAL. Our first time we were on the Costa Vidtoria. On approach to Saigon we almost fell from bed, the ship was truly running up the Saigon River. We took Costa's tour, the best tour ever on our +30 cruises. Saigon is terrific.

In Halong Bay I gave a seller a $100 bill for a minor purchase. She run around to other merchants and ended up giving me the exact change in U.$., including coins!

As to Laem Chabang, we just shared a cab to Pattaya where we stayed overnight in a hotel. This time we'll probably do the same but go to Bangkok, where we also have been before.

Edited by barante