Port of Tampa News for Carnival Cruise Line (and others).

It appears that there is some "good" news for Carnival (and others) on the horizon regarding the Port of Tampa and the pesky Sunshine Skyway Bridge that currently prevents and prohibits the larger "mega" ships from entering the bay.....read/see more here.... http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25912159/mega-cruise-ships-present-mega-problems-for-tampa

I can't wait to hear what they have in mind to resolve the "Skyway Bridge" problem. We need to be able to accommodate the "mega ships" here in the Tampa/St Pete area, or we're going to lose a lot of tourist business.

"SKY"

I can't wait to hear what they have in mind to resolve the "Skyway Bridge" problem. We need to be able to accommodate the "mega ships" here in the Tampa/St Pete area, or we're going to lose a lot of tourist business.

"SKY"

Exactly. I wouldn't know where to turn if Tampa lost it's cruise industry. I've been cruising out of Tampa for 8 years, due to it being only 35-40 minutes away. But, if I had my opinion, I would build the cruise terminal out past the Skyway. My itinerary/ship choice would be a 2.0 Conquest class ship doing Southern Caribbean and Eastern Caribbean routes.. That would be Paradise ;).

I REALLY hope Tampa figures out a way to get past this issue! I grew up in Tampa and my family still lives there. Since Tampa doesn't have the ships or itinerary I prefer I usually leave out of the Orlando or Miami ports. This means I have to travel to Tampa to drop my toddler off to my family in Tampa (he's too young for me to pay $500 for a cruise) before I take any cruises. When I get back from the cruise I have to stop in Tampa to get my son and then keep going back to the town I currently live in. It's a huge pain but something that I have to do to get to my vacation. I would be great to make one stop to drop by kid off, stay the night with my family, and then get on the ship. Come one Tampa! Make it happen!

Tampa better pay attention to prevailing trends in the industry. They may spend a boatload of money for nothing.

I'm sincerely interested, because I don't follow the industry, what prevailing trends are your referring to?

Of the choices listed in the story above I fear that the "do nothing" option might be their initial safe play and I do not suspect that they will render a knee jerk reaction solution but will opt for the most affordable, practical, and logistically sound plan of action.

To me that would require some kind of "drawbridge" option on either the northern or southern approaches that do not affect the center span and keep the port in Tampa and close® to the airport rather than moving it to the coast some 45 minutes from the airport.

Either way this is something that MUST be done or the cruise port will dry up. :eek:

I was interested to see they are even thinking about it. A drawbridge option would draw a lot of ire from commuters and truckers who would experience long delays a few times a week.

Building west of the bridge seems most practical.

Hope they do something soon. If Carnival decides not to replace Legend, it will put a crimp in the works for Tampa.

I enjoyed my sail out of Tampa on the Carnival Legend a few years ago. The only viable option would be to build a new cruise terminal seaward of the bridge. Other options are too expensive. Of course if you build a new terminal Carnival could pull a Mobile in Tampa. Build it and they will come is not true with Carnival.

I enjoyed my sail out of Tampa on the Carnival Legend a few years ago. The only viable option would be to build a new cruise terminal seaward of the bridge. Other options are too expensive. Of course if you build a new terminal Carnival could pull a Mobile in Tampa. Build it and they will come is not true with Carnival.

There are other cruise lines here too so I don't think that Tampa would ever get "mobile-ized"!

It appears that there is some "good" news for Carnival (and others) on the horizon regarding the Port of Tampa and the pesky Sunshine Skyway Bridge that currently prevents and prohibits the larger "mega" ships from entering the bay.....read/see more here.... http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/25912159/mega-cruise-ships-present-mega-problems-for-tampa

I am afraid that many of the options would take years to implement - assuming the politicians acted promptly. I think a better solution would be for Carnival to build another Spirit class ship. Many people like this class of ship, and I think that the big mega-ships have been over-produced. A smaller brand new Spirit class ship would be a great addition to Tampa and/or Baltimore.

I am afraid that many of the options would take years to implement - assuming the politicians acted promptly. I think a better solution would be for Carnival to build another Spirit class ship. Many people like this class of ship, and I think that the big mega-ships have been over-produced. A smaller brand new Spirit class ship would be a great addition to Tampa and/or Baltimore.

I had the same opinion, yet mine was a modernized Fantasy class ship. Sadly, this will never happen. ;(

I know that they (Tampa and surrounding cities) wish to cash in on the most tourist bucks, but I also believe that they have more than enough great draws to the area besides small ship cruise business. I love this area just as it is, and that is just my personal opinion.

There are plenty of people (like me) who prefer smaller ships, and having one or two or even three of these, might draw a certain clientele, who either live in the area, or like to travel to the area and combine a land vaca with a cruise vacation.

Those who prefer the mega ships can easily make their way to those cruise ports where those ships sail from. There is Miami, Port Canaveral, and Port Everglades. But looking at it from a business point of view and maximizing tourist dollars, I understand them wanting this, but in my humble opinion, another mega ship port in Florida is not needed.

Edited by SMSACE6

I prefer I usually leave out of the Orlando or Miami ports.

Orlando port?

I guess they do have fine dining when sailing out of the Orlando port. It's the new dining plan. :D

post-22643-Splash-Mountain-Returning-Cham-sJAc.jpeg

Edited by fuddrules

I concur - the Skyway Class!!! :D

I REALLY hope Tampa figures out a way to get past this issue! I grew up in Tampa and my family still lives there. Since Tampa doesn't have the ships or itinerary I prefer I usually leave out of the Orlando or Miami ports. This means I have to travel to Tampa to drop my toddler off to my family in Tampa (he's too young for me to pay $500 for a cruise) before I take any cruises. When I get back from the cruise I have to stop in Tampa to get my son and then keep going back to the town I currently live in. It's a huge pain but something that I have to do to get to my vacation. I would be great to make one stop to drop by kid off, stay the night with my family, and then get on the ship. Come one Tampa! Make it happen!

The Orlando port would be quite a stretch

Hey everyone,

I too live in the Tampa area and I have been cruising out of here for many years.

Here is an article that just came out a couple of days ago in the Tampa Tribune.

http://tbo.com/news/business/study-skyway-to-hobble-tampa-cruise-industry-20140630/

Thanks for the great article Tomcat. Hope we get some good news when the report is released. Can't wait.

But sadly all that is being constructed (right now) is MEGA. What we really need now is MEGA bridge clearance!! :D

What about a hybrid Spirit/Fantasy class ship? I agree with what someone said a couple pages back, Skyway class!! :D

This is probably just a ridiculous idea that only someone who knows nothing about how these things work would suggest, but how about a lock under the bridge to lower the water level so the ship has more clearance?

Ship sails into lock as it approaches bridge, lock doors close, they pump out water to lower the ship (dredging under lock may be required so ships don't hit bottom), ship sails under bridge, pump water back in to return to sea level, open lock doors and ship sails out.

It would be too slow a process clogging up the entrance to the bay if it had to be done all the time, but a couple of times a week for a cruise ships might be viable. The rest of the time just leave the lock doors open at both ends and other ship traffic can sail through like they currently do.

For all I know this would cost more than the other options, but it seems like it would be technologically possible.