Paul Gauguin Versus Windstar

astridwilson

You don't shower and dress in your cabin? Maybe it's not important for you, but it was something we very much missed. Your need to suck down cheap free booze isn't important to me--with the difference in price I could easily pay my bar tabe and gratuities with cash left over.

Windstar also has a motu BBQ and they have a deck BBQ as well. Windstar has Polynesians on board--a fact that has been mentioned but you want to ignore.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm ........... there is some very good liquor on board the PG that doesn't cost anything extra ;)

Did I say Windstar doesn't have a BBQ? Nope .........

Do the Polynesians on the Windstar stay on there 24/7 ....... interacting all day/evening, everyday with the passengers? Does the Windstar stay year round in the South Pacific? When I visit a new place would I'd rather interact with locals and/or people who hang in that place year round and know everything about each small island (PG) ........... or do I want the occasional 'visitor' ........ (Windstar, Oceania, SeaBourn, Princess)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Exactly. There is one poster who has sailed both who prefers the PG. At last count there are six posters who prefer Windstar, at least three of which state they would never cruise the PG again, and at least two of which who have sailed both in FP.

I really must be having trouble reading. Please identify the three posters who have sailed both lines and stated they will never sail PG again?

I really must be having trouble reading. Please identify the three posters who have sailed both lines and stated they will never sail PG again?

I, me and myself?

Just kidding.

I know ducklite and rugrats? Maybe grandma or does grandma just come in to add fuel but has never been on the PG.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm ........... there is some very good liquor on board the PG that doesn't cost anything extra ;)

Do the Polynesians on the Windstar stay on there 24/7 ....... interacting all day/evening, everyday with the passengers? Does the Windstar stay year round in the South Pacific? When I visit a new place would I'd rather interact with locals and/or people who hang in that place year round and know everything about each small island (PG) ........... or do I want the occasional 'visitor' ........ (Windstar, Oceania, SeaBourn, Princess)

Actually Tiki I understand that Windstar will be year round in FP again.

Oh how I can recommend this. But go one further as I did. Get a grand suite and you can be the only one facing forward as you pass in through the reef as the upper deck is closed until 9am.

Now, now Adidas we stand right by you in the SEKRET balcony!

Did you ever hear the story of the Mafia in the Grand Suite? Maybe I shouldnt tell it on a public board.....

Windstar stays there year round, and yes, they have locals who are on board. I don't drink spirits, but I can tell you that their "free" wine selection was abysmal. I never said that you said that there was no BBQ, just adding that Windstar does the same motu BBQ thing, PLUS the deck BBQ.

Maybe you need to learn a bit more about Windstar before you say anything else.

I find it hard to believe that these people were on the PG. I have never seen then on the PG board in the last 10 years. Same with Grandma. She only pipes in once Rugrats has posted with snarky comments. Reminds me of the unholy relationship between Pinot Noir and Tom Cruiser ( remember those 2 Motu!!!)

For example there was a negative review once which mentions that the pool was above L'Etoile. Now anyone who has been on the PG knows this is not the case......

I find it hard to believe that these people were on the PG. I have never seen then on the PG board in the last 10 years. Same with Grandma. She only pipes in once Rugrats has posted with snarky comments. Reminds me of the unholy relationship between Pinot Noir and Tom Cruiser ( remember those 2 Motu!!!)

For example there was a negative review once which mentions that the pool was above L'Etoile. Now anyone who has been on the PG knows this is not the case......

Go back in their post history and you will see posts from all of them about the PG.

Windstar stays there year round, and yes, they have locals who are on board. I don't drink spirits, but I can tell you that their "free" wine selection was abysmal. I never said that you said that there was no BBQ, just adding that Windstar does the same motu BBQ thing, PLUS the deck BBQ.

Maybe you need to learn a bit more about Windstar before you say anything else.

So is Windstar bringing in another ship between November and May as currently the Windspirit appears to be somewhere else between November and May.

Appears Windspirit only does a 7 night sailing ...... hummmmmmm, why not a 10, 11 or 14?

"they have locals who are on board." That didn't answer the question, are the locals on-board 24/7?

"their "free" wine selection was abysmal." Good enough for me and I live in the heart of the Paso Robles wine country, fact is my family has investments in several of the wineries in the area so I'm very familiar with wine and what is served on the PG is very drinkable, much of it is as good as I drink around Paso Robles ......

Edited by Tikiintahiti

So is Windstar bringing in another ship between November and May as currently the Windspirit appears to be somewhere else between November and May.

Appears Windspirit only does a 7 night sailing ...... hummmmmmm, why not a 10, 11 or 14?

"they have locals who are on board." That didn't answer the question, are the locals on-board 24/7?

"their "free" wine selection was abysmal." Good enough for me and I live in the heart of the Paso Robles wine country, fact is my family has investments in several of the wineries in the area so I'm very familiar with wine and what is served on the PG is very drinkable, much of it is as good as I drink around Paso Robles ......

No, the locals aren't on board 24/7--at this time. Are the Gauguins awake 24/7? Are you?

What does the length of the sailing have to do with anything? It's my understanding that they were contractually obligated for the Panama cruises before they finalized the agreement with the FP government, so they will leave for a few months later this year, but then return for good.

As far as the wine, perhaps you have different tastes than we do. We--and the friends we were cruising with--found the house wines terrible. There was a Chianti that was barely passable, the rest was total plonk.

By the way, the PG is not in FP year round, either. Or did you forget about that?

Edited by ducklite

Ducklite

Post #32 Your Quote: "Windstar stays there year round"

Just checked with Windstar. Windstar Cruises, doesn't cruise year round in Tahiti.

There last cruise is Nov 7th 2014. On Nov 14th they sail from Tahiti to Puerto Caldera. 22 day cruise.

They start sailing in 2015. Start date 5/22/2015 through 11/6/2015

You also stated in your post #32 your Quote: "Maybe you need to learn a bit more about Windstar before you say anything else"

You should get the correct information, before you post.

Zoey4545

No, the locals aren't on board 24/7--at this time. Are the Gauguins awake 24/7? Are you?

What does the length of the sailing have to do with anything? It's my understanding that they were contractually obligated for the Panama cruises before they finalized the agreement with the FP government, so they will leave for a few months later this year, but then return for good.

As far as the wine, perhaps you have different tastes than we do. We--and the friends we were cruising with--found the house wines terrible. There was a Chianti that was barely passable, the rest was total plonk.

By the way, the PG is not in FP year round, either. Or did you forget about that?

The pg is in FP year round. This year the additional sailings were just to accommodate the dry dock.

The length of the sailings are important. It's lovely to have the various options all of which we have been on except for the austral.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who even occasionally visits the PG board on CC knows how knowledgeable, experienced and giving with her experienced advice is Emdee.

This is not some right wing or left wing opinion zoo.

I am personally embarrassed for the folks who want informed information about FP. Emdee has spent a good deal of her life doing just that. From reviewing the sparring match between duck lite and various posters, these are not emblematic of the Cruise Critic community.

Please call a halt to the Nyet nyets.