Sitka - cheap to free

Mytime2014

We have a 2 hour artsy tour thing booked in Sitka, so I'm looking for a couple of ideas of what to see. I have printed Ketchikan maps but seem to have overlooked Sitka [thought the excursion was longer]

Other than the city website/tourist site - does anyone have anything I can print today to take along for points of interest? or does the city site have everything I need - I'm off to that now, but would welcome experienced ideas about what we can reasonably get to in a few hours.

Thanks, Debby

Their web site is comprehensive. As for "free" the bonus would be going to the National Park and doing the loop walk and enjoy the visitor center activities. There are a lot of lower cost options as well. Plenty to keep you busy.

I found the Sitka visitor's map that lists 20 downtown attractions - the farthest is the Fortress of the Bears

http://www.sitka.org/includes/media/docs/SitkaVisitorsMap-BLEED1.pdf for anyone else looking. I'd like to have one a little more detailed, so I will keep searching. I don't know why - but I haven't really concentrated on Sitka - I'm prepared for Seattle, Ketchikan and Juneau...

My travel companion just shrugs about what to do - but in my experience, if you don't have some kind of idea you end up wasting time and the once in a lifetime for me experiences. I don't want to plan for every second, but I do want to know we can go here if its not raining, here if its raining a little.....and 74 hour to sail time has me second guessing Everything!! :o

My travel companion just shrugs about what to do - but in my experience, if you don't have some kind of idea you end up wasting time and the once in a lifetime for me experiences. I don't want to plan for every second, but I do want to know we can go here if its not raining, here if its raining a little.....and 74 hour to sail time has me second guessing Everything!! :o

Great way of thinking. I'm also in that mode- My Alaska time is valuable. :)

Frankly, and just a general thought, split up. There is nothing worse than dragging along an uninterested companion. I do this all the time, so my way of travel, doesn't work for a lot of people but a suggestion. Sitka is a gem in my opinion. I was delighted of a last minute schedule change I had this year on the Miracle. I was able to do my favorite activity- which is on the water- so I chartered a boat tour for a few hours- costly- sure was, but the experience was my priority. :)

In the past there was a free shuttle ... look in the town web site. Use the shuttle to visit Fortress of the Bears then stop at the Raptor Center.

For many years there has been a pay, loop shuttle that made several stops. Was there again this year, $10.

Thanks - the shuttle/bus will be good to look for. I'm sure I"ll have plenty of info from the ship and the tourist center/booth when we get to town - but I'm in full spaz mode at the moment. It's fun tho!

We too are trying to do "cheap to free" for Sitka (actually our whole trip). FWIW here are my notes gleaned from tips on this site and my own research. I am still refining though...

Sitka

*Make sure to be out on deck early for the approach to the port, and also again when leaving port, as you cruise among lovely, picturesque little islands.

There is a city bus line operating under the hop on/hop off principle that for $10 or $15 a person, you can travel throughout the entire area all day. It runs by most of the highlights about every 20 to 30 minutes.

Take the shuttle out to Fortress of the Bear - purchase tickets for the shuttle at the Information Center located right at the dock. Then have the shuttle drop you at the Raptor Center on the way back to town and then if you are inclined you can walk back from there through the park and along the waterfront.

New Archangel dancers.

Sheldon Jackson Museum

the Totem Park

St. Michael's Russian Church

National Historical Park

Thanks Esmo - I have read some of that but didn't keep a list on Sitka....the church, totem park and Fortress of the Bear may be doable. We have the Wild Arts excursion at noon I think but a few hours in the morning if we arrive on time to explore on our own.

Thanks Esmo - I have read some of that but didn't keep a list on Sitka....the church, totem park and Fortress of the Bear may be doable. We have the Wild Arts excursion at noon I think but a few hours in the morning if we arrive on time to explore on our own.

That sounds interesting, is that through the ship or something else?

If any one in your group is over 62 and a US citizen, have them bring their Golden age Pass with them to get up to 4 of you into the Bishop's house as well as the Totem park for free. This also works at the Mendenhall Glacier and the Southeast Discovery Museum in Ketchikan.

I lived in Sitka for four years. There are great hikes that are free. One that would be good is walk along Lincoln St to the harbor (great View) continue on Lincoln to the Sitka National Historical Park, and walk the loop within the Park. You will learn about Sitka"s History and see some Totem Poles. After walking the loop I would stop at Sheldon Jackson Museum. The cost is $5.00 or if a Senior its $4.00 (Outstanding collections)

Hope this helps

Edited by Busman723

The Russian Bishop's House isn't mentioned much on this forum, but is well worth a visit. While the lower level is self-guided consider the guided tour to the upper level -- it is well worth it. And for those considering a visit, "google" Saint Innocent for more information on the Russian Orthodox Church's work in Alaska.

PS: Sitka is a rather "artsy" community.

That sounds interesting, is that through the ship or something else?

We booked through HAL - its a tour including a glass blowing [i think] shop and you get to make a glass cane\item

as to the hiking - one of us has a bad knee, so strolling will be the order of the day with occasional stops

The best tour I have ever booked in Sitka was a boat tour with Captain Davey. He was great! I cannot recommend it enough. We had a group of 12 which was too many for his boat, so he booked a friend's boat too and we all went together. The friend is Ryan Kauffman. We saw bears, whales, and otters, the tour was wonderful.

The best tour I have ever booked in Sitka was a boat tour with Captain Davey. He was great! I cannot recommend it enough. We had a group of 12 which was too many for his boat, so he booked a friend's boat too and we all went together. The friend is Ryan Kauffman. We saw bears, whales, and otters, the tour was wonderful.

I agree, but at $150 pp, I don't think this poster would even consider it.

I agree, but at $150 pp, I don't think this poster would even consider it.

Probably not - BUT, if things changed and we missed the 6 hour excursion in Juneau, I'd want to do something like that. Maybe next trip! The current group on Westerdam missed Sitka completely - so knowing that things can change - I'll remember the idea.

Fortress of the Bears? Could someone please give some details re this.

Thanks.

Fortress of the bears is a rescue facility for orphaned cubs who would otherwise be destroyed if found by the forest service. We loved it. The bears have huge play areas but it is not fancy. We paid the extra fee to have the "back stage" experience, well worth it. There is a shuttle that takes you there from the visitor plaza, $13 for shuttle and admission. Just make sure you know when they are coming back...we got left and they sent a van just to pick us up!