Junior Suite Upgrade, Did i Get Ripped Off?

mikem1977

I receieved a call from the Upgrade Fairy yesterday to upgrade our OceanView room on the Fascination to a Junior Suite on the Verandah Deck (Room V9). The upgrade cost was 300 dollars for the four day cruise but the carnival rep told me I could cancel my Faster To The Fun package and then it would be only 250 dollars.

I went ahead and upgraded and was so excited till I did some research and found out today the following:

- Our room will not be ready when we board unlike Faster to the Fun

- The Sofa bed is really not a sofa bed, its just a sofa that is supposedly large enough to sleep on.

- The balcony is very tiny.

Did I make a bad move? The main reason I upgraded was that I wanted the balcony but is it large enough to enjoy?

Also around what time would our room be available now for us to drop off our bags and have our luggage delivered?

Only you can decide if the trade off was worth it. You are getting a suite with suite privileges with does include priority embarkation/debark. That's pretty much the only suite perk there is.

No, your room won't be ready when you embark. Depending upon your steward, you may be able to drop off your carry-on. I would hide it if you do. The rooms tend to stay open during cleaning and anyone can walk by.

You will not get early luggage arrival. You will not get priority tendering for tender ports. You will not get the special line at Guest Services. Maybe you should have kept the FTTF, if those are the things you wanted. :(

The Fascination Jr Suite balconies are very small and near the front of the ship. The room is a little larger though. So that's a trade off.

I receieved a call from the Upgrade Fairy yesterday to upgrade our OceanView room on the Fascination to a Junior Suite on the Verandah Deck (Room V9). The upgrade cost was 300 dollars for the four day cruise but the carnival rep told me I could cancel my Faster To The Fun package and then it would be only 250 dollars.

I went ahead and upgraded and was so excited till I did some research and found out today the following:

- Our room will not be ready when we board unlike Faster to the Fun

- The Sofa bed is really not a sofa bed, its just a sofa that is supposedly large enough to sleep on.

- The balcony is very tiny.

Did I make a bad move? The main reason I upgraded was that I wanted the balcony but is it large enough to enjoy?

Also around what time would our room be available now for us to drop off our bags and have our luggage delivered?

So for a net of $250:

+ You gained a balcony, albeit a small one -- still a nice plus!

= You still have priority embarkation.

- You can't necessarily go straight to your cabin, but might be able to drop off your stuff.

- Your bags probably won't be deliverd first (as with FTTF)

IMO, the balcony trumps the others, so still a win -?

It is still available.

I don't mind waiting a couple hours for the room if it would be available between 1-2 but if it wont be ready till later in the afternoon I would buy it again so I don't have to carry around a bag.

You are getting a balcony! Yes it is small but is the same size as most other Carnival balconies. Two chairs and a small table. As for the sofa bed, none are true pull outs. Carnival "Sofa beds" have removable backrests and are surprisingly comfortable. Your room should be ready by 1:30. Happy cruising.

Why not just check all your bags?

For me, I don't need anything I bring on the ship until bedtime.

This doesn't work for everyone. Never check meds, important papers, jewelry, electronics. In you carry on you can also throw some extra clothes and a swimsuit in case your luggage gets lost. Doesn't happen often but I have been on cruises with people who didn't get their luggage until the first port. Also, in your carry on you put the one bottle of wine per person you are allowed to carry on.

Pat

I think we are going to skip rebuying the faster to the fun and just explore the ship while waiting for our room/bags can be ready.

Plus 50 dollars can buy 5-6 Drinks of the Day :D

There you go! We always explore a new ship upon boarding. Take some photos. Eat.

The cabin will be ready before you know it.

Enjoy!

I think you made a great choice. I LOVE the junior suites. Generally, there are only 2 on the ship. YEs, they are up front asnd the balcony is SLIGHTLY smaller, but you will still enjoy it. Generally there is a door just outside your cabin that goes to one of the "secret" decks where you get a fantastic view of the front of the ship and where you are heading. It is breezy, but in the heat on the Caribbean, this is comfortable. Your suite window looks out onto this deck. In the daylight, people cannot see in due to the mirroring on the glass. At night they can, BUT, this door to the deck is locked at 7 PM so you have privacy and get the benefit of the view from your window. Very few people ever go out there anyway, so it is almost another private balcony. The room itself has an odd shape due to the location, so you have more of an entrance foyer and more space which I like. HYou get a bigger bathroom and a tub with jets! VIP boarding as with all the suites. I generally book an Ocean Suite, but if a Junior is availalbe, I would go for it any day. They sell out quick. My favorite ones and location. Enjoy. You done good!:)

I think you made a great choice. I LOVE the junior suites. Generally, there are only 2 on the ship. YEs, they are up front asnd the balcony is SLIGHTLY smaller, but you will still enjoy it. Generally there is a door just outside your cabin that goes to one of the "secret" decks where you get a fantastic view of the front of the ship and where you are heading. It is breezy, but in the heat on the Caribbean, this is comfortable. Your suite window looks out onto this deck. In the daylight, people cannot see in due to the mirroring on the glass. At night they can, BUT, this door to the deck is locked at 7 PM so you have privacy and get the benefit of the view from your window. Very few people ever go out there anyway, so it is almost another private balcony. The room itself has an odd shape due to the location, so you have more of an entrance foyer and more space which I like. HYou get a bigger bathroom and a tub with jets! VIP boarding as with all the suites. I generally book an Ocean Suite, but if a Junior is availalbe, I would go for it any day. They sell out quick. My favorite ones and location. Enjoy. You done good!:)

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think on the Fascination the Jr. Suites have their own balcony and there are several (28) with some (8) considered obstructed view Jr. Suites. The secret deck if just above the bridge. Also I don't think there is a tub.

OP is asking about mini suite on a Fantasy Class ship , not this description at all.

About 30 mini suites all with very narrow balconies several have views obstructed by small lifeboats or equipment .No door to secret deck . Observation deck

and bridge can view most all of the balconies.

Still better than no balcony at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just a suggestion and only of you feel comfortable doing this:

Find out if anyone on your roll call has FTTF, offer to buy their first DOD if they''re willing to hold onto your luggage- you'll both be getting on the ship before anyone else.

Logistics may need to be worked out.

Hmmm, that idea might work. My only fear right now is from the horror stories of people having to wait till after dinner or even later to get their room and luggage.

After reading your guys posts and watching the youtube videos I am back to being really excited and no matter what I will be on the cruise relaxing with many DODs

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

My only fear right now is from the horror stories of people having to wait till after dinner or even later to get their room and luggage.

You may have to wait for your luggage but your room will be ready about 1:30.

Any balcony is better than no balcony.

The "sofa bed" that is a sofa that can be slept on is much more comfortable than a real sofa bed. It was so comfortable I would gladly have traded with my daughter to sleep in it.

You didn't get ripped off. I really believe the plusses outweigh the negatives. We made a similar upgrade on our last cruise on Ecstasy, but from an OV room to the V suite.

While the Verandah balconies are small on the Fantasy class ships, it was so nice to have the "outdoors" right outside of your room. No trudging with your tablet, ipod, drinks, etc up to the open decks and then finding a chair just to enjoy the fresh air. You can pop out on to the balcony anytime of the day or night for 2 minutes or all dang day. Can't beat it!

Enjoy your cruise!