Seems there are a number of HAL CC'ers who are looking elsewhere.......

sail7seas

After a "beyond expectations" cruise on Oceania Marina, I have to say that I would rather cruise less on Oceania than every year on HAL. HAL will always be a consideration when planning for vacation, however they are not the automatic number one as in the past. Which makes me very sad as we have always enjoyed the relaxed and friendly atmosphere on the HAL ships. But even a "nube" such as me who has only taken a handful of HAL cruises did notice deterioration in service (i.e. amount of crew), food and entertainment. I can only wish that it would reverse course a smidge but am not optimistic.

Now, if only we could get a Vista back on the west coast, I may be inclined to take a harder look ;)

After 7 cruises on HAL, we decided to try RCCL's Oasis. We were looking for more fun activities and we loved sailing on the Oasis. The ship is the destination, not the ports. The entertainment options and specialty restaurants were exceptional. We never felt crowded on the ship and the service was outstanding. We've now had 2 Oasis cruises and plan to book another one on their newest ship, the Quantum. We will keep HAL in mind for port intensive cruises, but for a pure relaxation and fun cruise, we'll choose RCCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[COLOR="Black"]This thread offers an interesting perspective. Some of you are considering, or have tried, other cruise lines while we are considering HAL.

I've been reading HAL posts for quite some time, doing research, and getting an idea of whether HAL would be a good "fit" for us. I think we would enjoy it.

We are seriously considering HAL for a possible 2016 cruise. We like the unique itineraries offered.

Happy cruising to all . . . regardless of which ship/cruise line you choose.[/COLOR] Edited by JimAOk1945

[quote name='kalliekae']After 7 cruises on HAL, we decided to try RCCL's Oasis. We were looking for more fun activities and we loved sailing on the Oasis. The ship is the destination, not the ports. The entertainment options and specialty restaurants were exceptional. We never felt crowded on the ship and the service was outstanding. We've now had 2 Oasis cruises and plan to book another one on their newest ship, the Quantum. [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]We will keep HAL in mind for port intensive cruises, but for a pure relaxation and fun cruise, we'll choose RCCL. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]That's exactly how we feel - we love HAL for their itineraries and we love RCCL for fun in the sun!

(Except we've had only one cruise on Oasis, but one on Allure, and will eventually book one of Quantum and then on Anthem)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Ironically, this thread got us discussing what we liked and didn't like about HAL. We have decided to cancel our Caribbean cruise on the Westy and booked with Celebrity instead. Booked with Celebrity just this morning and am trying to cancel with HAL.

We enjoy cruising and we enjoy HAL, but we find it lacking. We are not fans of the MDR at all and have managed to work around it. Between the room service, speciality restaurants, lido, and port dining, we can make do on shorter, port intensive itineraries. But we got to asking, "why simply make do?"

We also find that if it weren't for the ports, we would be extremely bored. Port times are getting shorter and shorter and that has us concerned. We accept that HAL is not known as the entertainment line, but it really needs to do more. Even on 7 day cruises, we find ourselves watching movies in our cabin, just to pass the time.

You won't know what it's like until you try it.

[quote name='cbr663']Ironically, this thread got us discussing what we liked and didn't like about HAL. We have decided to cancel our Caribbean cruise on the Westy and booked with Celebrity instead. Booked with Celebrity just this morning and am trying to cancel with HAL.

We enjoy cruising and we enjoy HAL, but we find it lacking. We are not fans of the MDR at all and have managed to work around it. Between the room service, speciality restaurants, lido, and port dining, we can make do on shorter, port intensive itineraries. But we got to asking, "why simply make do?"

We also find that if it weren't for the ports, we would be extremely bored. Port times are getting shorter and shorter and that has us concerned. We accept that HAL is not known as the entertainment line, but it really needs to do more. Even on 7 day cruises, we find ourselves watching movies in our cabin, just to pass the time.

You won't know what it's like until you try it.[/QUOTE]

I have sailed on both, although not recently, and found them more similar than different. Passenger demographic was comparable; I will give the edge to Celebrity on both MDR and live entertainment, though. The reason I prefer HAL is that the ships just have a warmer and more welcoming feel. This is in both decor and staff attitudes.

As I said, it has been a number of years since I have been on each, so things may have changed a bit. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise on X in any case. Edited by Ryndam2002

Thanks Ryndam2002. We thought we would try out X and its Aqua Class. Blu tends to receive great reviews and there are definitely more dining options. We really wish that HAL offered more speciality dining options.

[quote name='cbr663']Thanks Ryndam2002. We thought we would try out X and its Aqua Class. Blu tends to receive great reviews and there are definitely more dining options. We really wish that HAL offered more speciality dining options.[/QUOTE]

We look forward to seeing your post cruise comments (hope you post them in this forum). Dining in Blu is somewhat unique and some love it while others do not like the experience. We tend to alternate on Celebrity and do some cruises in Aqua Class and others in a regular balcony. Another interesting facet of Celebrity are their alternative restaurants (especially on the Solstice Class ships). Keep in mind that since you will be assigned to Blu, you can normally get 50% off of the alternative restaurants the first night. While some of the alternative restaurants like Murano and Qsine are pretty pricey, they are a pretty good deal at half price. It is first come first serve, so if you are interested look for somebody doing alternative restaurant reservations near the check-in counter....or inquire as soon as you board. We do like Murano (which puts the Pinnacle to shame) and Qsine is probably the most unique dining experience on the seven seas.

Hank

[quote name='cbr663']Ironically, this thread got us discussing what we liked and didn't like about HAL. We have decided to cancel our Caribbean cruise on the Westy and booked with Celebrity instead. Booked with Celebrity just this morning and am trying to cancel with HAL.

You won't know what it's like until you try it.[/QUOTE]
You might as well try. I find celebrity a very sloppy third to Hal and Princess. I found some if the dining room service to be good to very bad. Same with the food. You could stand forever waiting in line at the front desk. I had a concierge class balcony and I found it to not be as nice as a regular balcony on Hal. Hope you'll come back and let us know what you think. A person shouldn't have to made do. You should be happy with your choice.

Thanks Hank for the tip on the discount for speciality dining. We are sailing on Reflection so there will be lots of dining choices. We are hoping to avoid the MDR for most of the cruise. I will come back and let you know how it was.