does anyone have recent reviews of DYEA DAVE TOURS in skagway

jenp123

I have done a search and could only find old information about dyes Dave tours. Right now I have the emerald lake tour booked and have the option of going back to port via train. I will decide about the train that morning and if it is sold out, I will be fine without it. I also booked a similar tour with another company but it goes to the place that has the chicken buffet, taxidermy museum and the puppies. After reading some review s, it seems that stop is really touristy and I would like to avoid it.

Anyway s, just looking for any feedback on dyea Dave or any other companies that are recommended

we spent a memorable day with Dave a few years ago. He was very knowledgeable, but also brought great deal of fun to the experience. The train ride was the first half of the day, and the transfer from the ship to the train station was managed very efficiently. Dave met us at the end of the train ride, and then continued to Carcross, Emerald Lake ,and stopped for lunch. We were given some choices in destinations, and lunch venues. We were a party of four Cdns, 4 Australians ; and he did have two backpackers as passengers for the very end of the tour. We stopped a number of times for photo ops, and would recommend this tour operator .

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by northernphoenix

There are a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor dot com including new ones from 2014. In search engine at TA put in Dyea Dave Skagway and you can read reviews at your leisure.

I am booked for the Emerald Lake tour with them early Sept.

we spent a memorable day with Dave a few years ago. He was very knowledgeable, but also brought great deal of fun to the experience. The train ride was the first half of the day, and the transfer from the ship to the train station was managed very efficiently. Dave met us at the end of the train ride, and then continued to Carcross, Emerald Lake ,and stopped for lunch. We were given some choices in destinations, and lunch venues. We were a party of four Cdns, 4 Australians ; and he did have two backpackers as passengers for the very end of the tour. We stopped a number of times for photo ops, and would recommend this tour operator .

Marilyn

I agree that Dave was good a few years ago. We went to Emerald Lake both ways with him, and his trick is to get away early and to stay ahead of the busses, to get the best photo ops. with the bears.

john

I went out with Dave on his tours twice this year. I wasn't interested in Caribou Crossing, and now can highly recommend the Carcross Bakery as a fantastic place for a lunch stop. :)

I really enjoy the train, so did do the train on one trip, the other I did ride in the van round trip.

I great enjoy, Dave's humor and stories. His experiences are so real complementing his down to earth manner. :)

We just went with Dyea tours this week. Great trip, very informative, ate at an awesome bakery in Carcross....great food. Small can with 10 people. Highly recommend them.

We went on a tour with one of Dyea Dave's drivers, Jeanine, on June 25, 2014 to Emerald Lake and we were very pleased. We had no interest in riding the train and we were so glad we didn't. Riding the bus was much more flexible. And Jeanine was great! We saw two bears and she stopped by the side of the road each time and let us dictate when we were done. You have a hard time doing that on the train or even a large bus.

We met the owner of the Carcross Bakery and he was awesome! We would definitely book the tour again.

We orignally planned on renting a car from Avis and driving ourselves, but then I read about Dyea Dave's tours and decided to let THEM do the driving! Yes, driving ourselves would provide a BIT more flexibility, but we were VERY happy with Jeanine (Dave met us at the port, but was feeling unwell, so Jeanine was his fill in). She did a great job! There were only 6 of us on the van (maybe a 16pax). We got outta town before all the buses. We stopped many times on the way to Emerald Lake. We got through the Canadian boarder before the tour buses arrived. We stopped to fill our water bottles with glacial water, and we got to Carcross before the crowds. Had a great lunch at the Chilkoot bakery (OMG - the PASTRIES!). We bypassed the "Caribou Crossing" tourist center where I saw at least 6 tour buses. We really had a very relaxing tour with a lot of local insight and stories. The other 2 couples wanted to take the train back from Frasier. Jeanine stopped at the train station, showed them where to get their tickets and found them their car. We stayed with her on the ride back and she dropped us off in town where we asked her to.

I highly recommend Dyea Dave - the price is VERY reasonable compared to the cruiseline prices.