bad taste in my mouth

nurse la

We previously have taken 3 Holland American cruises--one in Europe,which was the best cruise I have taken--IT WAS AMAZING.The second cruise was to Alaska which was just as good.Everyone was great ,from the agent that helped us book the cruise to the staff on board.Within the last few weeks I have had terrible dealings with Holland America.My parents are celebrating 60 years on married life and my family{me and my husband,our two daughters.My sister and her husband and their 3 small children,AND MY PARENTS OF COURSE{HAPPY COUPLE}. Because we booked late we took what was available--My sister took 2 ocean view rooms because no suites or ajoining rooms were available.She is very anxious going on a cruise with her young children,but we figured if something opens she could move into it.Well a suite did open up ,and we all were over the moon about it.She could relax knowing the kids were in the same room with her.It was worth the 4000 dollor upgrade,she would manage it for piece of mind.The problem was that Holland American are going to charge her a cancelation fee of 100 dollars per person---because she is going from 2 rooms to one large rm{37000 dollars more}I think this is terrible--I have never been treated this way before.I take care of people and do my best for them.I feel like we are being treated like dirt,the way we are talked too and told that its too bad you have to pay it.I have no one to turn to for help in this matter until a friend told me to go on cruise critic and they will help and understand....anyone out there

Not sure that anyone here can help you but I understand..

Obviously it's within the final payment time limit & HAL probably will have to give your sister a new booking number.. If that is the case then the reservation people are only doing it the way they have been taught to do a cancellation & rebooking..

Or is there a travel Agent involved that is charging the cancellation fee & not HAL? In any event your travel Agent should be fighting this for her considering the fact that you have so many cabins booked..Did your travel Agent waitlist your sister for the Suite? Are all of your bookings on one booking number or have the booking numbers all been linked?

If you don't have a TA I would call HAL & ask to speak to a Supervisor or even the Mariner Society..

Hope this helps..

Edited by serendipity1499

We previously have taken 3 Holland American cruises--one in Europe,which was the best cruise I have taken--IT WAS AMAZING.The second cruise was to Alaska which was just as good.Everyone was great ,from the agent that helped us book the cruise to the staff on board.Within the last few weeks I have had terrible dealings with Holland America.My parents are celebrating 60 years on married life and my family{me and my husband,our two daughters.My sister and her husband and their 3 small children,AND MY PARENTS OF COURSE{HAPPY COUPLE}. Because we booked late we took what was available--My sister took 2 ocean view rooms because no suites or ajoining rooms were available.She is very anxious going on a cruise with her young children,but we figured if something opens she could move into it.Well a suite did open up ,and we all were over the moon about it.She could relax knowing the kids were in the same room with her.It was worth the 4000 dollor upgrade,she would manage it for piece of mind.The problem was that Holland American are going to charge her a cancelation fee of 100 dollars per person---because she is going from 2 rooms to one large rm{37000 dollars more}I think this is terrible--I have never been treated this way before.I take care of people and do my best for them.I feel like we are being treated like dirt,the way we are talked too and told that its too bad you have to pay it.I have no one to turn to for help in this matter until a friend told me to go on cruise critic and they will help and understand....anyone out there

First of all, let me welcome you to Cruise Critic - I see that this is your first post. It is a great resource for all of us cruisers.

Second, if you could provided a few more details on your cruise like: how long is it, did they book after final payment date (when is the cruise), did you book with a travel agent or directly with Holland (HAL), what category was originally booked and what is the new one, and etc. it would help us advise you.

HAL normally does not charge a cancellation fee if the cruise is cancelled prior to the final payment date. After that date, the cancel fee is normally alot more than $100 (so you see my confusion).

Please provide a bit more info and maybe we can offer some suggestions.

DaveOKC

Are you after final payment, sounds like you might be? If you are unfortunately Holland can/and does charge a change/cancellation fee. They do consider it a cancellation of the original booking & a new booking. I thought the fee was only $50, but they may have raised the rate. I've not heard of HAL charging this fee before FINAL PAYMENT.

Not sure you have any options at this point. Try not to let it totally ruin your cruise.

The $100 cancellation fee sounds like a fee that a travel agent would charge, not Holland America. Are you dealing with a travel agent?

I wondered about that too..It doesn't seem like the normal HAL cancellation fee.. Also they all may not have booked through the same TA.. If so, perhaps the TA is losing some commission..

I have to agree here. Something is all wrong. Even after final payment date, HAL will happily sell you an upgrade at full asking price. They love to sell suites at full asking price because these are the most profitable bookings on the ship. It doesn't make sense to discourage a lucrative sale with a "cancellation fee".

It that cancellation fee is charged by the TA, one might want to consider a new Ta.

Edited by BumperII

First of all, let me welcome you to Cruise Critic - I see that this is your first post. It is a great resource for all of us cruisers.

Second, if you could provided a few more details on your cruise like: how long is it, did they book after final payment date (when is the cruise), did you book with a travel agent or directly with Holland (HAL), what category was originally booked and what is the new one, and etc. it would help us advise you.

HAL normally does not charge a cancellation fee if the cruise is cancelled prior to the final payment date. After that date, the cancel fee is normally alot more than $100 (so you see my confusion).

Please provide a bit more info and maybe we can offer some suggestions.

DaveOKC

We booked the cruise on june 11th--no suites or connecting rooms were available .My sister was put on a waitlist and a suite did open up sa/neptune,which she was given.We were so happy for her,but then we were crushed with disappointment when hal told us they were going to charge us 100 dollars per person cancelation fee.The cruise is a 7 day New England and Canada leaving Aug 9th.Maybe because we had booked so late but it just seems so unfair.We are not canceling the cruise{although I wish we could,after the way we are being treated}We just moved her to a larger room and we are paying more money.IMy friend told me she was in the same situation with Princess cruises and they upgraded her with no cancelation fees,told her they were happy to accomidate her and threw in a bottle of wine.All I got was heartache ,rude people and a cancelation fee.I just feel like not going---you always get so excited going---Im just depressed and feel ripped off.I spoke to 2 people at HAL---no help

My sister took 2 ocean view rooms because no suites or ajoining rooms were available.She is very anxious going on a cruise with her young children,but we figured if something opens she could move into it.Well a suite did open up ,and we all were over the moon about it.She could relax knowing the kids were in the same room with her

How is she able to have 5 people (two adults and 3 kids) in a suite (or any cabin on HAL)?

Edited by Boytjie

I have to agree here. Something is all wrong. Even after final payment date, HAL will happily sell you an upgrade at full asking price. They love to sell suites at full asking price because these are the most profitable bookings on the ship. It doesn't make sense to discourage a lucrative sale with a "cancellation fee".

It that cancellation fee is charged by the TA, one might want to consider a new Ta.

They told me they were losing money because she originally booked two oceanview rooms so she was going from 2 rms to one and now they had an empty cabin to try and fill for Aug 9th New England/Canada cruise.I tried arguing but to no avail!!!

How is she able to have 5 people (two adults and 3 kids) in a suite (or any cabin on HAL)?

We moved her oldest son in with my girls.Her children are little she wanted them with her,as nyone can understand.She was happy to pay extra money for piece of mind.But now she is paying a lot extra

We moved her oldest son in with my girls.Her children are little she wanted them with her,as nyone can understand.She was happy to pay extra money for piece of mind.But now she is paying a lot extra

I am going to write to CEO of HAL---I am so disappointed in them.I have called twice and got no where.You should treat people like you would like to be treated---

Thanks for the explanation.

Ask to speak to a supervisor when you call HAL again (if you have not done so yet)

It seems you booked with HAL directly and not through a travel agent since HAL is willing to speak to you.

Are you after final payment, sounds like you might be? If you are unfortunately Holland can/and does charge a change/cancellation fee. They do consider it a cancellation of the original booking & a new booking. I thought the fee was only $50, but they may have raised the rate. I've not heard of HAL charging this fee before FINAL PAYMENT.

Not sure you have any options at this point. Try not to let it totally ruin your cruise.

Thanks for understanding--I feel it was a rotten thing to do.They are not losing anything .We booked 5 rooms.I really don't feel like going anymore.

Not sure that anyone here can help you but I understand..

Obviously it's within the final payment time limit & HAL probably will have to give your sister a new booking number.. If that is the case then the reservation people are only doing it the way they have been taught to do a cancellation & rebooking..

Or is there a travel Agent involved that is charging the cancellation fee & not HAL? In any event your travel Agent should be fighting this for her considering the fact that you have so many cabins booked..Did your travel Agent waitlist your sister for the Suite? Are all of your bookings on one booking number or have the booking numbers all been linked?

If you don't have a TA I would call HAL & ask to speak to a Supervisor or even the Mariner Society..

Hope this helps..

Thanks....I did try that.I just feel bad for my sister.This was supposed to be a great trip for my parents 60th anniversary.This will probably be their last cruise.I just wish it had worked out better.Its probably my fault for booking late.

anyway thanks again.I just needed to vent.

I am still confused.

How did she find out that an SA opened up? If she was on a wait list, and they called her, then she should not be charged a cancellation fee per person.

Are you all dealing with HAL or do you have your own TA?

I was charged a cancelation fee because as per HAL we went from 2 rooms to one room

Yes, something doesn't quite add up. Either they booked, or were on a wait list...it matters which scenario is at play.

Try to get past your disappointment and focus on the great trip you will have with your family. Would be a shame if it gets in the way of having a great time.

Edited by Jo-Bob

They told me they were losing money because she originally booked two oceanview rooms so she was going from 2 rms to one and now they had an empty cabin to try and fill for Aug 9th New England/Canada cruise.I tried arguing but to no avail!!!

You folks are paying an extra $4000.00 for the same cruise and they are losing money? Bull feathers! You might consider calling back. Hopefully you will get a different person to talk to. If this line of malarky is repeated, I would ask to speak to a supervisor. Bear in mind, if HAL can impose fees, HAL can also waive fees. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

Edited by BumperII
delete misstatement

I was charged a cancelation fee because as per H"canceAL we went from 2 rooms to one room

I looked up the cancellation fee and it states that if you cancel from 57 to 75 days prior to sailing, the fee is the deposit amount (per person). Since you basically "cancelled" one cabin, you would technically lose the amount for 2 or 3 persons (depending on how many people were booked in the cabin). You should not be changed any fee on the second cabin, as you upgraded. In this, I assume you booked 2 cabins for her. If this is how it worked out, it technically follows HAL policy.

Since it does not seem the right thing to do for HAL, I would do as others suggested and call HAL back and ask for a supervisor - they might be able to help you or offer something (like onboard credit in return). You might also try to have your account assigned to a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) who is basically a HAL employed travel agent. They sometimes know the right people to call and get your situation resolved.

I know that you are not happy with HAL on this, and I do not blame you, but please do not give up on them. I have found HAL employees to be very nice and extremely helpful and they are a major reason we sail with them.

Good Luck

DaveOKC

Yes, something doesn't quite add up. Either they booked, or were on a wait list...it matters which scenario is at play.

Try to get past your disappointment and focus on the great trip you will have with your family. Would be a shame if it gets in the way of having a great time.

thanks, wiil try but it still feels crappy to be treated that way

Somehow in my feeble mind this still doesn't add up. How can you move a child from one cabin to another cabin? (or did you not tell HAL)

How did your sister find out about the open suite? Was HAL aware that she wanted to substitute 2 o.v. cabins for 1 suite? (or did you just find a suite open up and decided on your own to make this substitution)

Was a travel agent involved or not???

What I don't understand is why the cancelation fee is only $100 per person.

I understand upgrading one cabin to the suite, so there should be no fee for that. The other cabin, though is a cancelation, and whatever the amount for the cancelation period would be charged, but per person? That amount doesn't sound right, unless it just happens to be the same when calculated as a percentage of the second cabin, and per person.

I looked up the cancellation fee and it states that if you cancel from 57 to 75 days prior to sailing, the fee is the deposit amount (per person). Since you basically "cancelled" one cabin, you would technically lose the amount for 2 or 3 persons (depending on how many people were booked in the cabin). You should not be changed any fee on the second cabin, as you upgraded. In this, I assume you booked 2 cabins for her. If this is how it worked out, it technically follows HAL policy.

Since it does not seem the right thing to do for HAL, I would do as others suggested and call HAL back and ask for a supervisor - they might be able to help you or offer something (like onboard credit in return). You might also try to have your account assigned to a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) who is basically a HAL employed travel agent. They sometimes know the right people to call and get your situation resolved.

I know that you are not happy with HAL on this, and I do not blame you, but please do not give up on them. I have found HAL employees to be very nice and extremely helpful and they are a major reason we sail with them.

Good Luck

DaveOKC

I have also found HAL employees to be wonderful,thats why I choose them over any other cruise line.You are right we are being charged for 1 cabin,because they feel they lost that cabin---But they are gaining much more money for a suite.I am a people person--I just feel bad about what they are doing to my sister,having to pay more money.I understand policy but in this situation I feel fees should have been waived.I just hope the cruise is great after all this.We are starting our vacation on a sour note.