Best Amazon River Cruise

HoboHeart

Hello, Everyone

I'm new here. Can anyone offer what could be considered the absolute, best company to tour the Amazon River? I want to be fully immersed in the jungle. I want a small group experience. I want educated naturalist and biologists. I do not want a "tourist" trip. Is anyone aware of an educational excursion, maybe associated with a university or the like? Most of the tour options I have read are geared for the masses. I am looking for a very different, special trip. Thank you.

Hello, Everyone

I'm new here. Can anyone offer what could be considered the absolute, best company to tour the Amazon River? I want to be fully immersed in the jungle. I want a small group experience. I want educated naturalist and biologists. I do not want a "tourist" trip. Is anyone aware of an educational excursion, maybe associated with a university or the like? Most of the tour options I have read are geared for the masses. I am looking for a very different, special trip. Thank you.

You may want to look into staying at an Amazon Lodge instead of a cruise. Large boats won't get into much of the Amazon. We stayed at a lodge in the Brazil Amazon a few years back and it was fabulous. At the time that I did that research, I found quite a range of tourist type options as well as options that would be camping, trekking and living off the jungle. You can find all options. Next January we are going back to the Amazon but in Ecuador this time following a trip to the Galapagos. Again we will be basing in a lodge while in the Amazon. Have you checked the trip advisor forums? They were very helpful when I planned our trips.

Look at GAdventures out of Canada. We had a marvelous trip on the Amazon with them and then a week in Cusco and Machu Pichu. Naturalists were soooo good--one was native to the Amazon the other of Spanish descent. Happy to try to answer any other questions you might have. Pat

Hello, Everyone

I am not sure I can help you regarding the Amazon as we are also exploring options. However, I did want to welcome you to Cruise Critic and congratulate you on your first post. So, Congratulations. :)

On the Eco cruising board, there are several suggestions for Amazon River cruises. Smaller cruise ships can go as far as Manaus on the Amazon. I did an Earthwatch expedition on a very small boat (13 passengers and crew) up the Rio Negro from Manaus to Barcelos, taking three days. It was very interesting, but in no way luxurious. I'm sure if you google Amazon Cruises you will get some leads. EM

We did the 14 day Amazon cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Manaus with Princess Cruises on on of their smaller ships. We did the return with them so as not to have to fly in or out of Manaus for a total of 28 days. Same ports on the return which was slightly boring, but we really enjoyed the cruise. The added bonus of several Caribbean islands and Devil's Island as ports was great.

Edited by ginbuck