Can't decide which Chilkoot tour to take

Dizzneefan

We do not sail till next June but I am already trying to get plans in place even though some can't be booked till later this year

My main concern is which tour to take while in Skagway. We are a party of 11 ranging in ages from 12 to 85 I am the one making recommendations for each port and while I am leaning towards the 8 hour Bennett scenic tour which is a rail and bus combination. However, I worry that this may too long but if we take a shorter tour what would you suggest for the other hours while in Skagway? Due to the ages of the seniors boating, hiking, etc are not options.

Anyone been on the 8 hour tour and did you think it too long?

We have done the 3 hour bus up train down trip with Chilkoot..and then had the afternoon to explore Skagway..this worked out so well for us..and it might be an option to consider for your group too.

We are doing the 8 hr. tour this August, they have a break for lunch and other built in stops for pics. You have a long time to plan so just keep tabs on these threads and I'm sure you'll do fine.

J.

I took the Bennett Scenic tour from Chilkoot in 12. This was my third time to Skagway so I was not really worried about seeing the town. I love trains and so the only logical choice for me was to do this trip. The lunch in Bennett is good as is the slide show and tour. Bennett is important to the Gold Rush history in that is was located where the white pass and Chilkoot pass trails came together. It also went from a booming town site to a ghost town overnight - a story you will only get on this trip. It is about 5hrs of actual train ride, an hour of lunch, and a couple of hours return to Skagway. With that large of a group, you will fill the Chilkoot bus - so making arrangements well in advance is advised. Any of the Yukon tours will take most of your port time and not really leave much time for anything else.

There are lots of options in every port for every age and activity level.

I think that you need to look at what you all want to get out of the trip - perhaps you should consider splitting up and do different tours - that way you can share your experiences over dinner.

We are doing the 8 hr. tour this August, they have a break for lunch and other built in stops for pics. You have a long time to plan so just keep tabs on these threads and I'm sure you'll do fine.

J.

No problem checking these boards! I consider it homework and I just wish I had an idea of threads, trip reports and YouTube videos I have studied since we decided to go to Alaska!

Frankly these aren't tours for everyone. I would strongly suggest you split up, and not even consider this "group together booking" idea.

Tours are too excellent to miss, if of interest, and a waste of time and money if no interest.

That being suggested, I have done all these routes. The Lake Bennett train is loaded with history, and nonstop scenery. For me, the time flies by. I'm on the tour again next week. :)

In May I was again on the combo Emerald Lake road trip with the Fraser train. (different vendors are being used this year). So a general comment.

Frankly these aren't tours for everyone. I would strongly suggest you split up, and not even consider this "group together booking" idea.

Tours are too excellent to miss, if of interest, and a waste of time and money if no interest.

That being suggested, I have done all these routes. The Lake Bennett train is loaded with history, and nonstop scenery. For me, the time flies by. I'm on the tour again next week. :)

In May I was again on the combo Emerald Lake road trip with the Fraser train. (different vendors are being used this year). So a general comment.

I should mention that I do not tell the others"I selected this or that for us to do".

I am just a planner and read a lot of suggestions then choose what the three in my family are doing. Then when I tell the others their response is "oh that sounds good. I think we will do that too". I ALWAYS point out each of the other four families are of course free to choose other tours.

BTW the 85 year walks five miles a day so is ib GREAT shape!

Present the train tour as 2 options , or more. Let those physically able tale the train all the way. If someone doesn't want the long tour, let them tale the shorter tour and then go back to the ship, take their time in town or maybe the more active want the shorter tour to add a hiking tour on their own.

I should mention that I do not tell the others"I selected this or that for us to do".

I am just a planner and read a lot of suggestions then choose what the three in my family are doing. Then when I tell the others their response is "oh that sounds good. I think we will do that too". I ALWAYS point out each of the other four families are of course free to choose other tours.

BTW the 85 year walks five miles a day so is ib GREAT shape!

We have done the train/van tour twice and once with a brother-in-law that was recovering from chemo/radiation and he made it fine. Because it is a train/van, there was not much walking. Lots of riding and seeing beautiful scenery. But the suggestion of giving people options was great. On one of our trips, one of the party elected to spend the day at the spa and let the rest of us do our thing. That's the great thing about a cruise - many, many options.

Cole

We are not ones for booking tours other than what the ship offers but I saw the Chilkoot website and was looking at the train/bus excursion. I'm always concerned about missing the ship if an excursion is late returning for some unforeseen reason. Chilkoot guarantees they will get you back in time and if they don't they will get you to your next port. I'm now considering booking with them. Are they a really reliable tour group? Any problems with them? They do not have prices posted on excursion so I don't know how they compare with the ships prices. Any feedback from anyone that has booked with them? Thanks.

I am about to book the Chilkoot Yukon Bus and Rail Excursion with Lunch/Husky Puppy Camp/Emerald Lake for our group of six (ages 52 to 81). I did the same tour in 2008 with HAL and loved it! I didn't find it too long because there was so much to see and do. Chilkoot quoted me $20 less pp than the same ship's tour. I sent an email to the address posted on their site and they got back to me very quickly with prices and availability for the day I will be in port.

We are not ones for booking tours other than what the ship offers but I saw the Chilkoot website and was looking at the train/bus excursion. I'm always concerned about missing the ship if an excursion is late returning for some unforeseen reason. Chilkoot guarantees they will get you back in time and if they don't they will get you to your next port. I'm now considering booking with them. Are they a really reliable tour group? Any problems with them? They do not have prices posted on excursion so I don't know how they compare with the ships prices. Any feedback from anyone that has booked with them? Thanks.

They have been in business for years. They are extremely well run and give excellent tours. Absolutely reliable.

I give it NO thought about getting back to the ship on time. I haven't missed one yet (out of 91), and if I do, it will be due to something unforeseen with nothing that could prevent it. Oh well. :)