regal princess

monselliott

Hi John,

Counting down the days are you? ;)

Wish I could sail Regal Princess too, but I'll have to wait until maybe after she's been in service for a year or two.

Yes David, I am counting down the days! But first, counting down the days to the Star Princess on October 11, 2014. Tom and I are taking the California Coastal Cruise, 7 days RT from San Francisco, CA. I'm using my "Goodwill Voyage Credit" from my Sapphire Cruise earlier this January. My total cruise fare is $266! I used future cruise credit at booking of $100, so my final payment is $166. We're getting $100 OBC each too! We can handle that! No air fare either! Only an hour and 1/2 drive to SF.

I promise not to wave my "black card" at anyone! ;)

I wish you could sail Regal Princess with us too, but I'm sure you will sail on her at a later date!

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge regarding the naming, christening and blessing ceremonies. It does get confusing with the madrina and then a Godmother...

It gets even more confusing when you know that the Italian word 'madrina' translates into 'Godmother' or 'sponsor'. That's why in that video I linked you can hear Rai Caluori and Carolyn Spencer Brown use both terms. But they do specify this honor of Madrina is only for the floatout.

;)

Yes David, I am counting down the days!

I wish you could sail Regal Princess with us too, but I'm sure you will sail on her at a later date!

Have fun on your California Coastal! Sounds amazing.

And it'll probably be 2016 at the earliest before I'm out on the ocean again. :(

;)

Edited by dmwnc1959

It gets even more confusing when you know that the Italian word 'madrina' translates into 'Godmother' or 'sponsor'. That's why in that video I linked you can hear Rai Caluori and Carolyn Spencer Brown use both terms. But they do specify this honor of Madrina is only for the floatout. ;)

I am of Italian heritage and when we are Christened we have a Madrina and Padrina!!! The fact of my heritage and that the ship is Italian was the basis of my concern regarding the Christening. In the OLD days...I'm talking 50/60 years ago.....a newborn baby did not go out of the house until they were Christened. They went from hospital to home to church. :)

I am of Italian heritage and when we are Christened we have a Madrina and Padrina!!! The fact of my heritage and that the ship is Italian was the basis of my concern regarding the Christening. In the OLD days...I'm talking 50/60 years ago.....a newborn baby did not go out of the house until they were Christened. They went from hospital to home to church. :)

Maybe the Regal is Jewish. She's not having a christening; she's having a bat mitzvah.

Edited by rdsqrl

Maybe the Regal is Jewish. She's not having a christening; she's having a bat mitzvah.

Could be!

Whatever the heritage, it should be done traditionally, before the initial passenger sailing.:)

It's amazing to see who the cruise lines choose as their Godmothers; everything from Queens and royalty to cheerleaders, country music singers, dancing girls, and breast cancer survivors. I bet most people can't even name the Godmother of all the ships they've sailed on. I know I can't. People just don't care that much. More often than not it's a flash-in-the-pan moment and then forgotten unless there is a special display case like the one on Royal Princess to commemorate the event. I wonder how many people have sailed Royal Princess and don't know that the Duchess of Cambridge is the ship's Godmother?

Heck... cartoon characters are Godmother's for some lines... :eek:

Tinkerbell is the Godmother of Disney Wonder and Princess Fiona is Godmother of Allure of the Seas.

Are you refering to Martha Stewart Godmother of the Grand?

Mike

Olivia de Haviland was the Godmother of Grand Princess. Martha Stewart is Crown Princess' Godmother.

http://www.princess.com/godmothers/

Heck... cartoon characters are Godmother's for some lines... :eek:

Tinkerbell is the Godmother of Disney Wonder and Princess Fiona is Godmother of Allure of the Seas.

Olivia de Haviland was the Godmother of Grand Princess. Martha Stewart is Crown Princess' Godmother.

http://www.princess.com/godmothers/

Do we really want Miley or Kim as the Godmother!??? LOL

All I have to say is that with or without all the fanfare of an official Godmother, the ship was beautiful and we had a smooth sailing. I can't stop looking at my photos and reliving our first Mediterranean cruise! Hope to be able to sail on the Regal again someday.

• 3 months later...

I found this today while looking for something else:

Original Love Boat Cast Will Be Godparents to Cruise Ship

"As Princess prepares to celebrate its milestone 50th anniversary year in 2015, the company is honoring the role that The Love Boat played in its history by selecting the original Love Boat cast members to serve as godparents for its new cruise ship Regal Princess. All six Love Boat cast members - who played the roles of Captain Stubing, Gopher, Isaac, Doc, Julie and Vicki – will reunite to christen the new ship on November 5 in Fort Lauderdale."

The date of the story is August 13, 2014 citing princess.com as the source. Here's the link to the complete story:

http://www.shipdetective.com/news/princess_cruise_news.htm

Here's the link to the press release issued by Princess on August 13, 2014:

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2014/08/Regal-Princess-Naming-Ceremony-Will-Launch-Princess-Cruises-50th-Anniversary-Celebrations.html#.VDV_j_ldVac

The ceremony will officially launch the golden year anniversary celebrations for Princess Cruises, which will celebrate five decades of operation throughout 2015.

485357234_LoveBoatCastRegalGodparentsLARGE.(Small).jpg.e5a3fcc4526558091b2ed6b286db6d8b.jpg