regal princess

monselliott

Happy fourth to all. Please be safe..

So has any body heard about Regal Princess cristening? Or maybe who the godmother is.

It is almost as though Princess just plopped the ship in to the water, gave it a kick in the rear and said get out there??

What happened to tradition? Why would A cruise line of this high caliber not fulfill its responsibility to seafaring tradition by not honoring these time honored traditions. This ship deserves better.

She would also then be god mother of Royal Princess.

My point is this, A maiden voyage is just that, a maiden voyage. Regardless of where it sails from. There is nothing in tradition that says you can run around Europe for a while cause its convenient. Then come to the us to be properly welcomed into maritime society. It just seems wrong. For such a magnificent ship to not be given it's proper due.

Regal Princess had her first 'christening' when the ship was floated for the first time in the builders dock at Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. At that time the ship was basically an empty hull and empty superstructure. That was on May 27, 2013, and the Madrina for that occasion was Carolyn Spencer Brown. She is NOT considered the Godmother of the ship.

Regal Princess was officially handed over to Princess Cruises on May 11, 2014 and departed the shipyard for the final time on May 15, 2014 for her Pre-inaugural (4-night) cruise which sailed out of Trieste the following day, nearly a year after her float out christening. Her Maiden Voyage was May 20th from Venice.

Her official Naming Ceremony and christening is scheduled to be in Fort Laudedale in November after she completes her inaugural transatlantic from Europe. The person doing this has not been announced. That person will be the Godmother.

Although it is rare, one only need look at the history of Princess Cruises to find another example of when a ship cruised an inaugural season in Europe before crossing the Atlantic to be named and christened in the United States.

That was the original Crown Princess.

Crown Princess entered service on July 8, 1990 and was later christened in NYC on September 25, 1990 by Sophia Loren.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Here is a copy of my May 10th post......................

"The Regal will be Christened before we sail. She will have a Godfather!!

Here is the translated article from the main board....

From "Il piccolo" newspaper:

The premier Matteo Renzi will be in Monfalcone on Sunday to attend the ceremony of the "Regal Princess". Just as the last cruise ship built by Fincantieri on behalf of Princess Cruises had a "godmother," this one will therefore have a "godfather". The Italian Prime Minister in fact follows in the footsteps of Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, the godmother of the twin "Royal Princess," who last year baptized that ship at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton.

The movements of the head of the government are still top-secret. His plane is expected to land at the airport of Ronchi dei Legionari around 9:30 A.M. The beginning of the ceremony is scheduled for 10:00 A.M. at Panzano. The Prime Minister will be accompanied by the Deputy Minister for Economic Development, Claudio De Vincenti.

The CEO of Fincantieri, Giuseppe Bono, with the "front line" management, and the heads of Princess Cruises will welcome Renzi.

330 meters long, the "Regal Princess" has a gross tonnage of 141 thousand tons and can accommodate 3,600 passengers. After an initial season of Mediterranean cruises, which will begin in the coming weeks, in autumn, the new ship will continue its activities in the waters of the Caribbean."

Matteo Renzi, the Prime Minister of Italy, was indeed in attendance at the official handover of Regal Princess from the Fincantieri shipyard to Princess Cruises. He gave a speech. He however did not christen the ship, did not name the ship, and is not the official Godfather or Godmother of Regal Princess. The ship was also not christened during the handover. There was an official Changing of the Flag Cermerony. And that was it. If you have any doubts contact Julie Benson (Vice President, Public Relations) or Karen Candy (Manager, Media Relations) at Princess Cruises.

Happy fourth to all. Please be safe..

So has any body heard about Regal Princess cristening? Or maybe who the godmother is.

It is almost as though Princess just plopped the ship in to the water, gave it a kick in the rear and said get out there??

What happened to tradition? Why would A cruise line of this high caliber not fulfill its responsibility to seafaring tradition by not honoring these time honored traditions. This ship deserves better.

Why not save the big bash for Ft. Lauderdale? The last one for the Royal was in Southampton. Americans are big supporters of the Princess product. It is our turn to celebrate the christening of a new ship. :D:D

Matteo Renzi, the Prime Minister of Italy, was indeed in attendance at the official handover of Regal Princess from the Fincantieri shipyard to Princess Cruises. He gave a speech. He however did not christen the ship, did not name the ship, and is not the official Godfather or Godmother of Regal Princess. The ship was also not christened during the handover. There was an official Changing of the Flag Cermerony. And that was it. If you have any doubts contact Julie Benson (Vice President, Public Relations) or Karen Candy (Manager, Media Relations) at Princess Cruises.

Thanks for the clarification. According to the news article, it stated that he would be the Godfather. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification. According to the news article, it stated that he would be the Godfather. Go figure. :rolleyes:
I think it was due to a bit of confusion. While it's an honor, any "godmother" or "godfather" doesn't really count since until after the ship is handed over to Princess, the ship is owned by the shipyard, not Princess. There has been no ceremony or christening since Princess took possession of the ship. Edited by Pam in CA

There is a right way and a wrong way. But first let me start by saying. Princess without a doubt is still my hands down favorite. This ship, from this cruise line deserved to be brought in to this world, and sent on her way with no less than her predecessor the Royal Princess.

In my opinion she didn't get it. I simply want to know why. It seems as though the company's primary motivation was to get her out there, so she can start making money, and worry about tradition later. This is not the Princess I have come to know. Is it possible the Carnival influence has taken to strong a hold. I sincerely hope not. There is a very real reason for as to why people take Princess cruises and not Carnival. So someone, please tell me why this happened. God bless Regal Princess.

There is a right way and a wrong way. But first let me start by saying. Princess without a doubt is still my hands down favorite. This ship, from this cruise line deserved to be brought in to this world, and sent on her way with no less than her predecessor the Royal Princess.

In my opinion she didn't get it. I simply want to know why. It seems as though the company's primary motivation was to get her out there, so she can start making money, and worry about tradition later. This is not the Princess I have come to know. Is it possible the Carnival influence has taken to strong a hold. I sincerely hope not. There is a very real reason for as to why people take Princess cruises and not Carnival. So someone, please tell me why this happened. God bless Regal Princess.

No, their motivation was to have her christened in Ft. Lauderdale. Plain and simple.

No, their motivation was to have her christened in Ft. Lauderdale. Plain and simple.

While that is probably the reason, I agree with Monselliott and tradition. I raised this same issue back in May as I am on the TA and feel uncomfortable about the Regal not being Christened. I'm not overly religious, but thumbing a nose at tradition is not good JUJU.

I've been wondering about this for months why they haven't named the godmother and christened the Regal to date. I guess I don't mind the wait if Princess is doing the honors in Fort Lauderdale this fall. Maybe I'll be lucky and they will do it Nov. 9th when I board the Regal. The next big question, who will it be? I just hope it's no one political! I mentioned Betty White several months ago.

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Thanks for the clarification David! Knew we could count on you, as always! :)

Just saying that Princess Cruises wanted to rush the ship into service to make quicker money is rather nonsensical. I'm sure if they wanted to they could have had the naming ceremony already, but there may have been several factors unknown to us that prevented them from christening the ship in Venice. It may be they didn't want to deal with the same environmentalist that actively protested this same type of event for the MSC Divina two years ago. It may be that Venice wouldn't issue a permit. And it may be just as RickEK said:

... their motivation was to have her christened in Ft. Lauderdale. Plain and simple.

In regards to this particular topic there is no right way or wrong way. Just different ways.

The hull of Regal Princess and the ship itself has actually already been 'blessed'. That occurred at the Float Out Ceremony in May 2013, and the blessing was done by a priest.

Regal Princess also already has a name, which is painted on the hull. We're not calling her "Hull #6224".

Keep in mind too that back in the old days when ships were solely built on slipways and then launched from the land into water, the blessing, christening and naming ceremony literally all happened at the same time: the ship is blessed, 'I name this ship', smash the bottle, and it slides down the rails into the water. One event.

Now, we build ships mostly in dry, land-based building docks. When the time comes we bless the ship, smash a bottle, then it floats out. It's not a completed ship, just like in the old days when it slipped down the launch way rails, it's just that we have added another event and called it a Naming Ceremony. Today, the naming ceremony, and another bottle smashing, comes quite some time later, as much as a year later after the official launching and first christening. Two distinct separate events which can take place a year apart.

And keep in mind too that the ship may not even be named in the same country where she was launched. The original Royal Princess was built in Finland and the naming ceremony and christening was held in Southampton.

There is no right way or wrong way. Just different ways.

And if this is 'thumbing their nose at tradition', Princess Cruises is guilty of having done that 24 years ago. That ship did pretty well and she's still sailing today. Did anyone complain about that?

It seems as though the company's primary motivation was to get her out there, so she can start making money, and worry about tradition later. This is not the Princess I have come to know. Is it possible the Carnival influence has taken to strong a hold. I sincerely hope not. There is a very real reason for as to why people take Princess cruises and not Carnival. So someone, please tell me why this happened. God bless Regal Princess.

This has nothing to do with Carnival Corporation 'influence'. If that was indeed the case every ship in the parent companies holdings over the past decade or longer would have done this.

You really haven't been sailing with Princess Cruises that long then have you? At least not since the original Crown Princess entered service. And some of these naming ceremony Guests of Honor have been a bit of a joke: the cast of Happy Days and the Brady Bunch, or the Bachelorette? Really?

:D

While that is probably the reason, I agree with Monselliott and tradition. I raised this same issue back in May as I am on the TA and feel uncomfortable about the Regal not being Christened. I'm not overly religious, but thumbing a nose at tradition is not good JUJU.

Regal Princess has been christened. They did that before the ship ever touched water: a "Madrina" (Godmother of the Flout Out, and not to be confused with the actual Godmother of the ship) cut the cord that smashed a bottle of champagne against the hull after a priest sprinkled holy water and said his blessing. Blessed and christened? Check.

If what you're worried about is some celebrity doing the deed in a pomp and circumstance Naming Ceremony, that's all just for show nowadays. That, however, will be the second christening.

;)

Thanks for the clarification David! Knew we could count on you, as always! :)

Hi John,

Counting down the days are you? ;)

Wish I could sail Regal Princess too, but I'll have to wait until maybe after she's been in service for a year or two.

Regal Princess has been christened. They did that before the ship ever touched water: a "Madrina" (Godmother of the Flout Out, and not to be confused with the actual Godmother of the ship) cut the cord that smashed a bottle of champagne against the hull after a priest sprinkled holy water and said his blessing. Blessed and christened? Check.

If what you're worried about is some celebrity doing the deed in a pomp and circumstance Naming Ceremony, that's all just for show nowadays. That, however, will be the second christening. ;)

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge regarding the naming, christening and blessing ceremonies. It does get confusing with the madrina and then a Godmother and finally a news article stating the Regal has a Godfather! Maybe the "old" combination ceremony of naming, christening and blessing as the ship splashed down the ways is best! I am not concerned about a "celebrity" performing the ceremony...heaven forbid that should fall to the wrong person!

Thank you once again for sharing your knowledge regarding the naming, christening and blessing ceremonies. It does get confusing with the madrina and then a Godmother and finally a news article stating the Regal has a Godfather! Maybe the "old" combination ceremony of naming, christening and blessing as the ship splashed down the ways is best! I am not concerned about a "celebrity" performing the ceremony...heaven forbid that should fall to the wrong person!

Indeed. Can you name which Princess Godmother has since been to prison? It's not all about the sanctity of the official Godmother, or the smashing of a bottle and a blessing (that's been done). People just want to see the glamour of the 'special' naming event itself. That's what gives them a 'warm and fuzzy'.

;)

Lucky you...I've never had a photo with a cruise ship's 'godmother'...that's quite a photo! :D

Cruise ship 'godmothers' are now more about a promotional event than anything else. I think that's why it'll be done in Ft Lauderdale to generate more coverage for their new ship. It's not like Kate with the Royal which generated more press coverage beyond the UK.

It's amazing to see who the cruise lines choose as their Godmothers; everything from Queens and royalty to cheerleaders, country music singers, dancing girls, and breast cancer survivors. I bet most people can't even name the Godmother of all the ships they've sailed on. I know I can't. People just don't care that much. More often than not it's a flash-in-the-pan moment and then forgotten unless there is a special display case like the one on Royal Princess to commemorate the event. I wonder how many people have sailed Royal Princess and don't know that the Duchess of Cambridge is the ship's Godmother?