Let's Design Our Own Ship

Davidson Duo

Hello fellow CC'ers.

There is much anticipation about the new ships being built, and what features we will find on them.

But there is also concern being voiced about HAL ships going bigger, and getting rid of two of the smaller, more intimate ships.

As a cruiser who prefers the smaller S and R class ships, and longer durations to more unique destinations, I worry that my choices for my kind of trip will be more limited.

So I thought it would be fun and interesting for us to design our own S or R class new build and see what we come up with!

What would be your dream feature as a must have?

Please don't just say "Pinaccle Grill" or "Neptune Lounge". Let's get more creative and define our visions more as new concepts that give specifics, such as a specialty restaurant that serves higher end cuts of meat, a more intimate atmosphere than the MDR, with a minimal surcharge. Please note - that is not my choice, just an example! :)

My top feature I would like to start with is an adult swimming pool with a dedicated section with enough length and depth to swim laps. This pool would also have steps to walk into, not just a ladder.

What else? Right now, it's just a blue hulled shell with a lap pool. I know we can make her a real beauty!

I'd personally like to see fewer balcony cabins, in favor of more open deck space. I know I'm in the minority there. But I like to be able to get a good view from all over the ship, and too often balconies are on the wrong side for watching the comings and goings at ports. I love watching the ship dock and leave port, and often the open deck space is crowded and I'm too short and too nearsighted to see clearly from behind people.

I'd also like to see dedicated space for art auctions so the public rooms need not be off limits for hours on a sea day.

And, while I love the R- and S-Class ships, I miss the glass elevators on the Vista- and Signature-Class ships. Can we please put a set in at mid-ship?

Lastly, I do not like the flow of the public spaces on the Vista-Class ships; I find the bars and lounges too long and narrow and really claustrophobic. Can we please have a layout more like the R- and S-Class in the public lounges, in particular the Ocean Bar?

Edited to add one more thought: if we work hard enough we can probably arrange it so there isn't that too-narrow, too-confing space between the closets and the bathroom in most non-suite cabins. I'd really like to work with the designers to see if we can alter the cabin layout just enough to eliminate that conjested area at the cabin entrance.

Edited by ellieanne

If you plan for your ship to be profitable, please note that the smallest cruise ship currently sailing - AND actually making a profit - carries 2,200 passengers.

Or maybe you don't need to make a profit, and are willing to lose many millions of dollars to make your fellow small ship cruisers happy.

I'm with Elianne- more deck outdoor space and lots of windows in public areas. Definately a wrap around promenade deck.

While we're at it, how about a barriers free way for those who can't climb to get to the open bow. :).

And a specialty restaurant that would serve foods of the area the ship is sailing in or to. Maybe a small upcharge.

And lots of little spaces to just sit back and read inside by a window (like Veendam)

Maybe a few hot tubs/ jacuzzis on the top deck under the stars.

like it used to be. A special room with seats around the bar and then comfortable chairs and couches in back. And a dedicated bartender for that room, like there used to be. Hate the impersonal atmosphere in the new "Mix".

I'd personally like to see fewer balcony cabins, in favor of more open deck space. I know I'm in the minority there. But I like to be able to get a good view from all over the ship, and too often balconies are on the wrong side for watching the comings and goings at ports. I love watching the ship dock and leave port, and often the open deck space is crowded and I'm too short and too nearsighted to see clearly from behind people.

I'd also like to see dedicated space for art auctions so the public rooms need not be off limits for hours on a sea day.

And, while I love the R- and S-Class ships, I miss the glass elevators on the Vista- and Signature-Class ships. Can we please put a set in at mid-ship?

Lastly, I do not like the flow of the public spaces on the Vista-Class ships; I find the bars and lounges too long and narrow and really claustrophobic. Can we please have a layout more like the R- and S-Class in the public lounges, in particular the Ocean Bar?

Edited to add one more thought: if we work hard enough we can probably arrange it so there isn't that too-narrow, too-confing space between the closets and the bathroom in most non-suite cabins. I'd really like to work with the designers to see if we can alter the cabin layout just enough to eliminate that conjested area at the cabin entrance.

I love the glass elevators in our Atrium. We can put them in and still keep it an R/S.

I wonder if we can make her a bit wider, so there is more length to the cabin. Then we could put in a walk-in closet, then the bathroom deeper into the room. Certainly sounds like something we can redesign.

And as the Lanai cabins are so popular, maybe we can put them on the Promenade Deck too, instead of the veranda cabins, which would free up more railing for port viewing by all passengers?

If you plan for your ship to be profitable, please note that the smallest cruise ship currently sailing - AND actually making a profit - carries 2,200 passengers.

Or maybe you don't need to make a profit, and are willing to lose many millions of dollars to make your fellow small ship cruisers happy.

:)

As our little ship is just a figment of our imagination, I will just subsidize her from my imaginary Lottery windfall! :)

What type of specialties? Seafood? BBQ? Indonesian? "Design" it for us. :)

Ok I'll play, a restaurant like Tamarind, a great Itialian restaurant (I said great, not Canaletto) and ofcourse also Pinnacle. I think that would do it.

Edited by PathfinderEss

like the Prinsendam, which also has slightly larger bathrooms.

And a setup in the Lido buffet like the Prinsendam, where there is an island for the salad bar etc. to ease the congestion. And definitely keep the stations for food prepared to order.

And a place like the International Cafe on Princess for good casual food (sandwiches, soups, pastries) and coffees and GELATO, in the Atrium, as a meeting and people-watching place. And it has waiters to serve if you don't want to stand in line at the counter. This so beats HAL's Java Cafe with only a walk-up counter and limited food snacks.

I would love to see a space where people could store scooters so that they wouldn't book the accessible cabins just for scooter parking. That would free those cabins for those passengers that need all of the features.

I would also love a dedicated running track on the sports deck that isn't a short loop with tight corners.:)

Ok I'll play, a restaurant like Tamarind, a great Itialian restaurant (I said great, not Canaletto) and ofcourse also Pinnacle. I think that would do it.

Oh yeah...an upgrade on Canaletto would be great for this Dago. ;)

Bruce, are you sure? I find it hard to believe Crystal, Oceania, Regent, SeaDream, Silverseas, Seabourne, Windstar, Lindblad, Paul

Gauguin and Hurtigruten are all losing money.

Sure a mass market ship, but niche lines certainly aren't all operating just to be kind to the small ship fans.

(1) A small specialty dining venue (tapas perhaps?) outside (somewhat enclosed) ON the Promenade Deck. Close to the water and not up on Deck 11!

(2) Toilets that flush quietly.

(3) Open atriums in the center of the ship with European-type bars and restaurants surrounding.

(4) Lido with extended hours, better stations.

Bruce, are you sure? I find it hard to believe Crystal, Oceania, Regent, SeaDream, Silverseas, Seabourne, Windstar, Lindblad, Paul

Gauguin and Hurtigruten are all losing money.

Sure a mass market ship, but niche lines certainly aren't all operating just to be kind to the small ship fans.

Crystal's losses are covered by the massive profits from NYK, Japan's largest cargo shipping company.

Oceania and Regent losses are covered by the profits at NCL - all owned by the same holding company.

Sea Dream cannot make a profit now - just like they couldn't when they were Sea Goddess.

Silver Sea is so far in the red that they will never get out of that deep hole. But the owners have so much money and such large egos that they don't care.

Seabourn lost millions for the very wealthy Norwegian family that started the company. After more than 20 consecutive years of big losses, even the wealthy Norwegians had enough. They sold out to Mickey Arison - who has even deeper pockets and an even bigger ego. But after a few years of blood-letting, even he could not afford it. He forced HAL to take Seabourn. But HAL couldn't afford it either. They immediately sold off the 3 smaller ships that were bleeding the worst and are now stuck with the bigger newer ones that are losing slightly less money.

Windstar bled so much money that HAL had to sell them off. After one year the new owners went bankrupt and sold them to a time share company with very deep pockets to cover their losses.

Lindblad and Hurtigruten losses are covered by Norwegian oil money.

Paul Gauguin is also losing money - but I don't have the inside info on how they are covering it.

Clear glass mirrors in inside cabins . . . instead of the smoked mirrors they currently have. Never have understood that one; when you don't have light from the outside, you'd think you would want to maximize the room lighting.:confused:

Serve the lamburgers from the Terrace Grill at the Dive-In. (I guess we're having a Dive-In)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Crystal's losses are covered by the massive profits from NYK, Japan's largest cargo shipping company.

Oceania and Regent losses are covered by the profits at NCL - all owned by the same holding company.

Sea Dream cannot make a profit now - just like they couldn't when they were Sea Goddess.

Silver Sea is so far in the red that they will never get out of that deep hole. But the owners have so much money and such large egos that they don't care.

Seabourn lost millions for the very wealthy Norwegian family that started the company. After more than 20 consecutive years of big losses, even the wealthy Norwegians had enough. They sold out to Mickey Arison - who has even deeper pockets and an even bigger ego. But after a few years of blood-letting, even he could not afford it. He forced HAL to take Seabourn. But HAL couldn't afford it either. They immediately sold off the 3 smaller ships that were bleeding the worst and are now stuck with the bigger newer ones that are losing slightly less money.

Windstar bled so much money that HAL had to sell them off. After one year the new owners went bankrupt and sold them to a time share company with very deep pockets to cover their losses.

Lindblad and Hurtigruten losses are covered by Norwegian oil money.

Paul Gauguin is also losing money - but I don't have the inside info on how they are covering it.

:D Buzz killer.......

Can't you let us enjoy our fantasy? :D

This is a 'dream on' sort of thread where we can pretend we might get our wishes come true. ;)

Back to reality, I guess.

A true Indian Restaurant with a wide range of curries and assortment of dhals, different rices with a choice of fruit lassi to drink.

Shouldn't be too difficult to arrange - many of the Chefs are Indian:)

A priority for me is, also, steps with a railing into the adult pool which has a cover and locker rooms with shower near by it.

Stations in the buffet, more seating, and trays.

The idea of refiguring the bathroom and closet is a good idea. Diamond Princess has a good layout in OV rooms.

Design cabins to have drawers like in the "S" and "R" ships.

More power outlets in cabins.

Better lighting at desk/dressing tables.

Large cabin safes like those on Vista Class Ships.

Tapas Bar.

Shops with upgraded, quality items.

Cabins designed for solos including some with verandahs.

Doorbells for verandah cabins so it can be heard when on Verandah.