Which Cruiselines allow Aussies to book thru US agencies (and which don't ?)

And then I suppose the terms and conditions slug you with harsher penalties or earlier final payments.:eek:

No, there's no extra penalty. You actually get another bonus of a future credit... but in the scheme of thousands of dollars, it isn't much.

Then again, that's better then all the shops that just offer to 'price match'

Yeah, I'll go to the trouble of researching a better price, then waste time explaining and proving it to you, and then wait for you to check it's still in stock, yada, yada... instead of just buying it for that cheaper price at the shop that genuinely offers the better price!

I contacted one TA here who guaranteed a price match for anyone online. We exchanged a couple of emails establishing that was true without giving details. When I sent the US prices and website for her to check I never heard from her again. As I expected.

I was referring to the penalties with in the terms and conditons such as with cancellation dates and fees that may be higher or earlier.

Yes, and there's no extra penalty like those for taking up that specific price beat offer.

I contacted one TA here who guaranteed a price match for anyone online. We exchanged a couple of emails establishing that was true without giving details. When I sent the US prices and website for her to check I never heard from her again. As I expected.

The one that promotes it most will also match some overseas bookings. Someone posted earlier that they'd taken it up. It can be good if you want to lock in the exchange rate (instead of taking risks like some of us :-) )

The one that promotes it most will also match some overseas bookings. Someone posted earlier that they'd taken it up. It can be good if you want to lock in the exchange rate (instead of taking risks like some of us :-) )

Lately, it is really the exchange rate that has been stopping more of my bookings from going overseas. They may offer slightly better deals but the currency exchange loses out.

I always got a laugh out of a certain agency that runs ads like "will beat any quoted fare". Yeah. They will by one measly dollar. Next.

Oh yes they do but be warned. On airfares they are likely to change the terms and conditions to a non refundable fare. They tried that on us:mad:

Lately, it is really the exchange rate that has been stopping more of my bookings from going overseas. They may offer slightly better deals but the currency exchange loses out.

Yes you must watch the exchange rate but in most cases the extra benefits out ways the extra charge on currencies.

Yes you must watch the exchange rate but in most cases the extra benefits out ways the extra charge on currencies.

Very true. We are about to pay our final on our Regent cruise and the dollar is hovering around $0.94 - we are still way in front.

Cheers

Di

We had the currency rate work our way when we had to cancel. Our deposit was refunded with us receiving more Aussie dollars than what we'd paid.

I had that happen as well. Paid at $1.04 USD and then refunded at $0.92 USD. Disappointed I had to cancel, but happy I made some money.

Of course, it was spent straight away on the next booking.:D

I believe there are some Cruiselines that will not deal with Australians booking thru US Travel agents.

Can someone kindly enlighten me as to which Cruiselines will accept our money, no matter where we book ?

Have had no issues with Cunard/Celebrity/CarnivalNorwegian previously - just don't want to be left at the dock ....

We have booked and taken cruises with Carnival.Royal Carribean and M.S.C with our American T.A with no problems.Have another 2 booked with Royal for next year.I think a lot depends on the T.A you use and not just the cruise line, I know I have tried to book online with other T.A.s but been denied as not in the U.S.A.

We have booked and taken cruises with Carnival.Royal Carribean and M.S.C with our American T.A with no problems.Have another 2 booked with Royal for next year.I think a lot depends on the T.A you use and not just the cruise line, I know I have tried to book online with other T.A.s but been denied as not in the U.S.A.

Definitely when you get a good one stick with them. The one I use has fantastic service and I have just read that they are expanding even more, opening 6 days instead of 5 and working 2 shifts right through to 10pm in the states which makes it even easier for us to contact at some time of the day or night.

Definitely when you get a good one stick with them. The one I use has fantastic service and I have just read that they are expanding even more, opening 6 days instead of 5 and working 2 shifts right through to 10pm in the states which makes it even easier for us to contact at some time of the day or night.

Great that you can get that extra flexibiltiy with communications. Sometimes a few hours can make the difference with securing or losing a particular cabin.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Our OBC injected today. Even with upgrading to Premium X package and a purchase from Canyon Spa we are "owed" $16. Thanks to our lovely USA TA. Currently in Dubrovnik. Had to say that. :p

Hope you are enjoying your self in the old town. BTW it worked, I am jealous.:D

Yes, ours is actually open 7 days but closes at 8.00pm. Unfortunately, we just don't get that type of service down here, regardless of hours.

Cheers

Di

Just watch that the dollar does not drop.....we lost out BIG TIME on a European River Cruise booked through the US, we ended up paying it out six months early to stop it costing us more!

Just watch that the dollar does not drop.....we lost out BIG TIME on a European River Cruise booked through the US, we ended up paying it out six months early to stop it costing us more!

Exchange rates are one of the few things that I gamble on and watch nearly every day. We pay in full if it is an overseas TA and the dollar starts to drop, so there is no sting in the tail.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Actually, there is a local RCI office, and they do have local pricing.

However, they send their accounts to be handled through the US.

P&O Australia do an equivalent thing by sending their accounts through the UK. But the rest of the operations e.g. itinerary, pricing, ordering is done locally.

The RCI Office in Australia closed down at the beginning of this year..........all calls go through to the US now

The RCI Office in Australia closed down at the beginning of this year..........all calls go through to the US now

Sales calls all went thought to Guatemala but the office was still here until the end of March.

Cheers

Di

I am a little concerned with an earlier post in this thread regarding getting OBC associated with on board future booking as I planned to book a few cruises while on board Quantum and transfer to a USA agent. Will be making more enquiries when on board.

When you purchase a future booking certificate while on board you need to purchase it as either an Australian OR US open booking.

The booking reference that is issued on your future cruise certificate will become the booking number for your new booking once you decide on your cruise. This booking reference is relative to a certain data base and cannot be accessed from the other.......what you purchase will also define what you pay US$200 or AUD$200

When you purchase a future booking certificate while on board you need to purchase it as either an Australian OR US open booking.

The booking reference that is issued on your future cruise certificate will become the booking number for your new booking once you decide on your cruise. This booking reference is relative to a certain data base and cannot be accessed from the other.......what you purchase will also define what you pay US$200 or AUD$200

So that makes sense, I think.

However, is the Aussie FBC / US FBC difference for the use of TAs (i.e. can only use Aussie FBC with Aussie TAs) or is it applicable for the actual cruise (Aussie FBC for any cruise or just Aussie cruises).:D

So that makes sense, I think.

However, is the Aussie FBC / US FBC difference for the use of TAs (i.e. can only use Aussie FBC with Aussie TAs) or is it applicable for the actual cruise (Aussie FBC for any cruise or just Aussie cruises).:D

My understanding is it relates to the data base that the FBC refers to, the data base it is issued against. Aussie TA's only access the Aussie DB and so if you have a FBC issued in US$ they will not be able to apply it against a new booing that you try to make.

Usually I book myself direct with RCI/Celebrity, recently when C had data problems and I cold not enter my booking, I tried to phone, it was out of hours so although the call centre is in the US it works on AUS business hours. I thought I'd be smart and called one of the US phone numbers to get info........no luck they could not access my booking as it was on an Australian booking number. I tried at a higher level (there was a problem) and still no one could access the booking.......I had to wait till the Australian call centre (in the US) opened...ie 9-5 Mon-Fri.

I don't think there is any reference to the cruise that you are booking.

Frustrating :mad:

Edited by lud016

My understanding is it relates to the data base that the FBC refers to, the data base it is issued against. Aussie TA's only access the Aussie DB and so if you have a FBC issued in US$ they will not be able to apply it against a new booing that you try to make.

Usually I book myself direct with RCI/Celebrity, recently when C had data problems and I cold not enter my booking, I tried to phone, it was out of hours so although the call centre is in the US it works on AUS business hours. I thought I'd be smart and called one of the US phone numbers to get info........no luck they could not access my booking as it was on an Australian booking number. I tried at a higher level (there was a problem) and still no one could access the booking.......I had to wait till the Australian call centre (in the US) opened...ie 9-5 Mon-Fri.

I don't think there is any reference to the cruise that you are booking.

Frustrating :mad:

Thank you that makes sense, although makes it very frustrating for people who wish to shop around.