Women In Shorts MDR - Casual Night

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. The rules are generally set by the passengers preferences and are subject to change at any time depending on profits.

And that, my friends, is the last word regarding any supposed "rules". RCI will allow whatever maintains (or builds) revenue. Shorts in the MDR, even on so-called "formal night" is inevitable.

Excellent post.

Lol yes! If you peer at me on my balcony and I'm enjoying it in a romantic way ;) I would think you would either giggle to yourself and have a good story to tell or think wistfully to the time when you would have been able to throw caution to the wind and be fun and reckless and reminisce. I don't, however, expect you to call the front desk and request a fainting couch because SOMEONE IS HAVING SEX OUT THERE!!! SEND HELP!! :rolleyes: For real, I would LOVE to hear the staff laughing after that phone call....

There are cameras.

There are cameras.

The cameras are not aimed in towards balconies; but more of sighting down the side to see if anything or anyone goes overboard.

I always thought it was in the top 5 reasons why a large aft balcony was coveted real estate honestly. :confused:

Shorts in MDR?

That's a good idea. Suggest RCI will make one night per cruise a "short" dinner party. Every lady should be in shorts, the shorter the better, and the shortest win a bottle of wine!

Oooops... Not every lady. Only those under certain age limit :D

Sent using Tapatalk. Sorry for typho.

Edited by anandaindonesia

These clothes in the MDR threads are hilarious! rotf.gifrotf.gifrotf.gif

People can discuss it here until they are blue in the face but nobody ever changes their positions on what they believe! I have never seen anybody at the end of these threads say...."Maybe you are right...I'm going to start wearing this or not wear that!

At the end of the day just like with everything else that have rules, people are going to do what they want to do if the rule is not enforced!

Solely? My only flaw? How kind. Or sorely? In that case, I strongly disagree.

If you have some critical thinking or rationale on the topic besides resting on "a rule is a rule, follow rules or leave" answer I'd love to hear it.

Well...we are on a web forum, not your college debate team of the past. It seems to me that you are the one that has some skills to sharpen. I'm not even sure what you are disagreeing with me about since you have not stated an actual opinion. You keep pointing at the sign and going "This is what the sign says". How is that a debate? That's stonewalling where I come from. The most you have addressed the issue is to make strawmen arguments that have little or no impact on the question at hand. Smoking? Speeding? Really? I won't have to make a huge mental leap to guess the record of your scholastic debate team.

Rules not regarding health and safety tend to be flexible. I agree with you on your salient point, if I do not like a rule I should lobby for change. That's why I sent a well written letter to RCI directly on this topic. No point moaning on a forum; better to put a stamp on it and let 'em know in no uncertain terms what you value. Go ahead. Free country. Write a nice letter to lobby for the opposing point of view. I won't stop you.

That's not what I said at all. Maybe you should read my post again about traditional, practical, and progressive mindsets. I do not believe that anyone that disagrees with me lacks critical thinking or is irrational. I think that a traditionalist lacks critical thinking skills (unquestioning) and is irrational (does not consider alternative viewpoints to be actionable even in the face of empirical evidence). Objectively speaking this is what most psychology scholastic material would label as a traditionalist.

I was recently reading a business book about the design, engineering, testing, deployment etc. of a radical product. A certain number, some 20-25% of testers totally balked at it. It wasn't like the old stuff. Too new. Too different. Too outside the norm. The company decided to ignore the traditionalists because they could not evaluate the new product properly. They were thinking of it in a vacuum of what they already knew and accepted and simply could not / would not change. If they built a new product for a traditionalist it would be outdated as soon as it hit the shelves. Younger buyers looking for innovation made up a larger market share. The company basically had to innovate away from old business habits or die. That product went on to become an empirical success and runaway sales leader in its sector, without the traditionalists.

Worse, you seem to be self-labeling yourself as a traditionalist AND then taking offense at the qualities of the label. I didn't label you as such. If you generally follow rules but question "can this be done better?" "would this change be a net positive?" "How can I enact change" then I'd consider you a practical thinker.

In short, I think my comprehension and debate skills are just fine and I happen to put myself into the practical sphere of thinking. You are the one using strong words like accusatory, rude, etc. I'm simply describing definitions of a mindset. I don't know you, I have no reason to be rude to you.

Nicely done, Max. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well-thought out, lucid reply.

I've butted heads with your rival in the past and have stopped replying to his posts due to his self-proclaimed "elevated" debating skills. When one always thinks he's right and refuses to acknowledge another point of view, it's refreshing to see him run away with his tail between his legs (with the requisite final insult, of course). Good job buddy.

Nicely done, Max. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your well-thought out, lucid reply.

I've butted heads with your rival in the past and have stopped replying to his posts due to his self-proclaimed "elevated" debating skills. When one always thinks he's right and refuses to acknowledge another point of view, it's refreshing to see him run away with his tail between his legs (with the requisite final insult, of course). Good job buddy.

Thank you, I appreciate that. That poster was particularly nasty to me a few weeks back when I suggested shorts on casual night. I hope never to meet them face to face because I do not have room in my life for such negative and nastiness over "nothing".

Thank you, I appreciate that. That poster was particularly nasty to me a few weeks back when I suggested shorts on casual night. I hope never to meet them face to face because I do not have room in my life for such negative and nastiness over "nothing".

Agreed, nicely done. Have encountered that one before, and there is no reasoning, they are right and no-one else is

Always gets polished as a master debater :rolleyes:

Kudos to you Sir

Happy Days!!

The way I see it is like this...

On Formal Nights the cruise will have people coming to your table and taking a picture of you. If you want a professionally done picture with you in a t-shirt, have at it. Me? I think this is a good opportunity to dress up and look good. My wife and I did it both Formal nights on the Oasis and now have a couple great pictures waiting to be framed. Did it ruin our night to see people in jeans and t-shirts on Formal night in the MDR? Nope. Did we judge those people? Of course, because they blatantly ignored the numerous upon numerous reminders about the accepted attire those nights.

I will say, though... I was particularly taken by the 2 pretty blonde ladies in Dazzles after the second formal night. Black sequined outfits with shorts so short they both had half their buttcheeks hanging out. I have to admit, as a man, I appreciated the look.

Based on what I've seen. People will wear want they want regardless of the stated policy. Basically, few people care what anyone else is wearing in the MDR. I'm sure there are limits, but I havn't seen it crossed yet. And yes, shorts are common in the MDR.

Edited by m*u*g*

The way I see it is like this...

On Formal Nights the cruise will have people coming to your table and taking a picture of you. If you want a professionally done picture with you in a t-shirt, have at it. Me? I think this is a good opportunity to dress up and look good. My wife and I did it both Formal nights on the Oasis and now have a couple great pictures waiting to be framed. Did it ruin our night to see people in jeans and t-shirts on Formal night in the MDR? Nope. Did we judge those people? Of course, because they blatantly ignored the numerous upon numerous reminders about the accepted attire those nights.

I will say, though... I was particularly taken by the 2 pretty blonde ladies in Dazzles after the second formal night. Black sequined outfits with shorts so short they both had half their buttcheeks hanging out. I have to admit, as a man, I appreciated the look.

I really hate it when people come to my table, on my holiday, to take up my time taking pictures.

I'm not against nice pics, I just don't want it while I eat. Or at any other time that I don't suggest.

Short dresses, short shorts. Equally as short.

Edited by Adayatatime

Agreed, nicely done. Have encountered that one before, and there is no reasoning, they are right and no-one else is

Always gets polished as a master debater :rolleyes:

Kudos to you Sir

Happy Days!!

... but they're probably great people to have a beer with. Sometimes we get into these heated debates on a Cruise Critic and end up with the wrong impression. I don't think there was or ever will be a winner in this debate until Royal either enforces their current policy or changes it. Just my honest opinion. Happy sailing everyone. :D

I really hate it when people come to my table, on my holiday, to take up my time taking pictures.

I'm not against nice pics, I just don't want it while I eat. Or at any other time that I don't suggest.

Short dresses, short shorts. Equally as short.

It was a 5 second process to get a picture that will be hanging in our house for the next 50 years. To each their own, but I actually like the pictures, because they come to me and still get a great picture instead of me having to go out of my way and stand in line to get one from them.

From what I experienced in the Oasis, they were really good with timing. They came to our table right after we got our wine but long enough before the appetizers that it really wasn't a bother at all.

From what I experienced in the Oasis, they were really good with timing. They came to our table right after we got our wine but long enough before the appetizers that it really wasn't a bother at all.

That's called "luck". Look at the size of the dining room on Oasis. They could not have possibly gotten to everyone at the same time in their meal. On one cruise they came right as our entrees were served. I too do not care for dining room portraits or the interruption. I find the whole thing a bit off putting. When we want portraits we choose which background / area of the ship and go to them. You've made a great case for the fact that formal night is to drum up photo sales, which I have long believed is the case. The dress, and the photos, are optional.

I don't see what formal night portraits really have to do with wearing shorts on casual dress evenings which is the topic at hand.

... but they're probably great people to have a beer with. Sometimes we get into these heated debates on a Cruise Critic and end up with the wrong impression. I don't think there was or ever will be a winner in this debate until Royal either enforces their current policy or changes it. Just my honest opinion. Happy sailing everyone. :D

You may have a point, it depends how someone comes across in real life. To me, discussing Dress and Tipping, while on board a ship, is like Religion and Politics. Keep it to yourself and everything will be smooth sailing. :cool:

That's called "luck". Look at the size of the dining room on Oasis. They could not have possibly gotten to everyone at the same time in their meal. On one cruise they came right as our entrees were served. I too do not care for dining room portraits or the interruption. I find the whole thing a bit off putting. When we want portraits we choose which background / area of the ship and go to them. You've made a great case for the fact that formal night is to drum up photo sales, which I have long believed is the case. The dress, and the photos, are optional.

I don't see what formal night portraits really have to do with wearing shorts on casual dress evenings which is the topic at hand.

Well... that's the thing... there seemed to be a fleet of photographers, each assigned a section. Happened to look around, and I didn't see any of them taking pictures once the apps were served, unless they got hung up on a bigger table.

And yes, of course formal night is there to drum up photo sales, but its also an opportunity for today's cruise industry to pay homage to the cruise industry of the past where every night was a black tie or tuxedo affair. We're only talking about 2 nights over the course of 7, and nobody is telling you that you have to wear a different outfit for each. Maybe its just me, but I have always thought that there was something right about not coming to the MDR table dressed like you were going to McDonald's at least once a cruise.

Maybe its just me, but I have always thought that there was something right about not coming to the MDR table dressed like you were going to McDonald's at least once a cruise.

What has any of this got to do with wearing shorts on casual night? :confused:

Are you for or against it?

Are you always this confrontational with people you feel don't share your opinion?

I'm not confrontational, I don't even know your opinion because you're not addressing the topic of the thread or stating your opinion. I don't "feel" anything other than you may have missed the topic at hand. I'm asking you to stay on topic. This isn't a thread about formal night, or about photos.

So having cleared that up and getting back to the topic at hand, what's your opinion on that?

Are you always this confrontational with people you feel don't share your opinion?

Yes, he is. Look out for the following, its his patented personal attack against those who don't share his opinions...

You can't ask someone with no critical thinking ability to explain anything to do with logic or rationality.

Yes, he is. Look out for the following, its his patented personal attack against those who don't share his opinions...

Asking someone to stay on topic and what their opinion of that topic is is not a personal attack.