Best viewing deck for Alaska on Pearl

lasnev

Deck 14 is only for suite guests. However, almost all the way forward on deck 13 you can climb a few steps up and there MIGHT be a small-ish area that is open to the public. I've been on the Pearl twice but am having a fuzzy memory about that, so please don't hold me to it.

But you can get good outdoor viewing on deck 13, as well as deck 7, which is under cover, but open-aired.

sorry im not sure the answer to your stated question but if may add. when we did Alaska on a different ship, we found that by far the best area was our balcony. the public places are crowded or doesn't give the calm and quiet needed. if going up a fjord you will be amazed how close to shore you are. a balcony a nice cup of coco, coffee or drink of choice cumfy chair and no one else but whom ever is in the cabin with you.

Half of deck 15 above the Haven is the haven sun deck, I think haven deck is port side. The other half is public sun deck and not very crowded. You end up moving around because the ship moves around. Deck seven seems less crowded and rangers are around to talk to and explain things. A ranger also talks over the loudspeaker and has very interesting commentary. Another less crowded area can be the area where the bleachers are by the sports court but the nets can cause some obstruction. The rangers will be selling items in spinnaker lounge, I think cash only, not to be confused with the ncl generic alaska stuff for sale by the pool and also avail at any port for half the cost. We had the ranger give a very interesting slide show and speech in the theater too.

Half of deck 15 above the Haven is the haven sun deck, I think haven deck is port side. The other half is public sun deck and not very crowded. You end up moving around because the ship moves around. Deck seven seems less crowded and rangers are around to talk to and explain things. A ranger also talks over the loudspeaker and has very interesting commentary. Another less crowded area can be the area where the bleachers are by the sports court but the nets can cause some obstruction. The rangers will be selling items in spinnaker lounge, I think cash only, not to be confused with the ncl generic alaska stuff for sale by the pool and also avail at any port for half the cost. We had the ranger give a very interesting slide show and speech in the theater too.

Are you taking about the Freestyle Sundeck on deck 15? And for Glacier Bay

if you had to choose one side would it be port or starboard side?

Are you taking about the Freestyle Sundeck on deck 15? And for Glacier Bay

if you had to choose one side would it be port or starboard side?

The public deck on deck 15 with not much traffic that I'm talking about is more mid ship, by the smoke stack. Port side of this deck is for Haven only, starboard is public and does not get much use. There are lounge chairs stacked on this deck, I'm sure when it's sunny and warm it gets more use.

Port or starboard for glacier bay? Depends on cat. booked. When we stayed in the Haven we were port and I guess I would have preferred starboard only because the private sundeck for Haven was directly above our room. Had we been starboard we could have just walked up to haven sundeck when the ship turned. It really is a negligible difference though. We ordered breakfast into the room, ate and watched the bay from our room then the port side was first viewing for glacier. There was a public deck below us and a group of people were fairly obnoxious below us. I could not hear the ranger talking over them. If you were on your balcony it would probably be less noisy if you had staterooms above and below you vs public deck. We were in 14512, so right above the public deck.

It really won't matter all that much though because the ship starts turning and continues to do so until it leaves the bay. When we stayed in 14512 port side the ship started to turn and we went to the front of the ship for more viewing. It was a little chilly and windy up there. Not sure what deck it was perhaps deck 15 forward? There were quite a few people up there and also a Plexiglas that you viewed through so probably not the best for pics but good panoramic viewing. Went to spinikers and rangers were selling stuff from parks department there. I think this is also where the ranger who spoke over loudspeaker was talking. Went aft by the garden café outdoor seating area and this was also a good viewing area. Walked up the stairs from aft outdoor eating area to area where sports court is and viewing from there seemed very good. Then went back to cabin to enjoy the relaxing from room and watching from balcony. We did not plant ourselves in any one area. Just walked around and were able to see some excellent calving/hear the groaning of the glacier. This was in May, 2013.

Went back in Aug, 2013 and the bay, while beautiful was very different than May. In May the bay was full of ice chunks, mountains snow covered and glacier calving very active and audible. In Aug the bay was free of ice and the glacier was not active the day we visited, which may have just been coincidence. On the plus side there were a lot more whales in the bay. As we were leaving the bay we were in the spa and saw bubble feeding. Some friends of ours were in the blue lagoon on deck 8 and saw a ton of fin slapping, breaching and all right along the side of the ship. There was so much action going on with the whales that I imagine no matter where you were viewing from you were treated to quite a show.

For our Aug trip we stayed in an inside cabin and found that deck seven was a good place to view. I think deck 7 is the only deck where you can walk outside around the entire ship so easy to move from one side to the other. I did not even know about deck 7 during our first trip in May. Deck 7 also had some park rangers who were excited to talk and explain what was going on.

The public deck on deck 15 with not much traffic that I'm talking about is more mid ship, by the smoke stack. Port side of this deck is for Haven only, starboard is public and does not get much use. There are lounge chairs stacked on this deck, I'm sure when it's sunny and warm it gets more use.

Port or starboard for glacier bay? Depends on cat. booked. When we stayed in the Haven we were port and I guess I would have preferred starboard only because the private sundeck for Haven was directly above our room. Had we been starboard we could have just walked up to haven sundeck when the ship turned. It really is a negligible difference though. We ordered breakfast into the room, ate and watched the bay from our room then the port side was first viewing for glacier. There was a public deck below us and a group of people were fairly obnoxious below us. I could not hear the ranger talking over them. If you were on your balcony it would probably be less noisy if you had staterooms above and below you vs public deck. We were in 14512, so right above the public deck.

It really won't matter all that much though because the ship starts turning and continues to do so until it leaves the bay. When we stayed in 14512 port side the ship started to turn and we went to the front of the ship for more viewing. It was a little chilly and windy up there. Not sure what deck it was perhaps deck 15 forward? There were quite a few people up there and also a Plexiglas that you viewed through so probably not the best for pics but good panoramic viewing. Went to spinikers and rangers were selling stuff from parks department there. I think this is also where the ranger who spoke over loudspeaker was talking. Went aft by the garden café outdoor seating area and this was also a good viewing area. Walked up the stairs from aft outdoor eating area to area where sports court is and viewing from there seemed very good. Then went back to cabin to enjoy the relaxing from room and watching from balcony. We did not plant ourselves in any one area. Just walked around and were able to see some excellent calving/hear the groaning of the glacier. This was in May, 2013.

Went back in Aug, 2013 and the bay, while beautiful was very different than May. In May the bay was full of ice chunks, mountains snow covered and glacier calving very active and audible. In Aug the bay was free of ice and the glacier was not active the day we visited, which may have just been coincidence. On the plus side there were a lot more whales in the bay. As we were leaving the bay we were in the spa and saw bubble feeding. Some friends of ours were in the blue lagoon on deck 8 and saw a ton of fin slapping, breaching and all right along the side of the ship. There was so much action going on with the whales that I imagine no matter where you were viewing from you were treated to quite a show.

For our Aug trip we stayed in an inside cabin and found that deck seven was a good place to view. I think deck 7 is the only deck where you can walk outside around the entire ship so easy to move from one side to the other. I did not even know about deck 7 during our first trip in May. Deck 7 also had some park rangers who were excited to talk and explain what was going on.

Thanks for the thorough report!

get the thrermal suites package and view the glaciers from the comfort of Deck 12 forward in the spa. Absolutely the best vantage from the front of the ship. Second to that would be the spinnaker lounge.

Whats the thermal suite package please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whats the thermal suite package please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a spa access package. I think it's $119 pp or $199 per couple and includes access to the spa facilities for the week. Treatments such as massages are extra. It's typically quiet, relaxing, excellent viewing, smells nice and is tranquil. Men's and women's separate areas and co-ed area in the middle. Thermal tile loungers, hot tubs, sauna, hydrotherapy pool, steam rooms...Search youtube for video. They also give you a locker upon arrival. Spa shuts down last night of cruise at 8pm I think.

We made great use of it with our inside cabin. Only a certain amount of passes available for the week. We purchased ours just after boarding ship from a spa attendant who had a table set up outside. He put a sticker on our key card and we were valid for the week. I thought I also had to sign up at the spa so went up there. The attendants at the spa give you a, "tour" which is a prolonged sales pitch on all that can be done to make you younger and thinner, then afterward sell the passes. I went through this comical tour only at the end to be told I was already signed up and good to go. No sales pitches after the passes were purchased.

Lulu would you say port side then for the rest of the cruise? Not glacier bay specifically as I know the boat turns, but for actual ports and cruising? Thanks!!

I would say it does not matter that much. If going on the first or last sailing of the year you are cruising the inside passage by Vancouver which is incredible and excellent views on port side but I'm sure great on starboard too because land so very close.

The Pearl docked in different spots when we sailed her in aug vs May so no real way to tell which way they will have her docked in port. I guess overall I would pick port side but if there is an avail room starboard that you want I would grab it and know that you will have excellent scenery regardless. It's defin one of those trips you'll want to spend time outside to take in the views. Bring adequate clothing in case it is raining and chilly and that way the rain won't phase you at all. I was really surprised by all the people who did not have proper gear and were miserable, and were marveling at our stuff. We just had Arcteryx shells and then layered as needed under. Rain, wind etc did not phase us. Now when we went in aug I think it was hot and sunny for most of the trip but it can still get chilly when the ship is underway.

I would say it does not matter that much. If going on the first or last sailing of the year you are cruising the inside passage by Vancouver which is incredible and excellent views on port side but I'm sure great on starboard too because land so very close.

The Pearl docked in different spots when we sailed her in aug vs May so no real way to tell which way they will have her docked in port. I guess overall I would pick port side but if there is an avail room starboard that you want I would grab it and know that you will have excellent scenery regardless. It's defin one of those trips you'll want to spend time outside to take in the views. Bring adequate clothing in case it is raining and chilly and that way the rain won't phase you at all. I was really surprised by all the people who did not have proper gear and were miserable, and were marveling at our stuff. We just had Arcteryx shells and then layered as needed under. Rain, wind etc did not phase us. Now when we went in aug I think it was hot and sunny for most of the trip but it can still get chilly when the ship is underway.

Thanks so much for your help! We're planning to go in May -- getting ready to book.

Thanks so much for your help! We're planning to go in May -- getting ready to book.

I think you will love it. I would say anywhere on the ship except the front due to the wind. If you are not getting a haven room then really think about a spa pass. Nothing better then coming back to the ship after hiking all day to a nice hot tub and sauna. If you are getting a spa pass think about a room more forward To be closer to the spa. Our inside cabin was aft deck 10. A bit of a walk to opposite end of ship but still managed to use the spa once or twice each day. Feel free to ask any questions.

I am sure you will have a great time. We stayed port side and never left our balcony on Glacier morning and early afternoon due to the "drink arrivals" until lunch time. The thermal spa was wonderful especially because for the first time ever my DH actually went everyday with me. We had a spa cabin on the Epic and it was like pulling teeth to get him to go with me because he preferred to lie about enjoying Posh. We went to the spa after lunch and was able to enjoy loungers looking out.