Grand Asia what currency?

Big Paul

Hi we are booked on Sapphire Princess on the Grand Asia cruise on Sept 3rd 2014 can anybody help with advice about what currency would be best in this region. Visiting China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore.

In China & japan you have to use their money. On Diamond the Chinese had an authorized vendor onboard for exchanges...the ship was not allowed to do this. In Japan you can get funds exchanged at any 7-11 store with credit/debit cards.

Sapporo Steve

Hi we are booked on Sapphire Princess on the Grand Asia cruise on Sept 3rd 2014 can anybody help with advice about what currency would be best in this region. Visiting China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand and Singapore.

In China, Japan and Singapore you will need local currency. In Vietnam you can use US$. I cannot tell you the current position in Korea, Taiwan or Thailand.

We did this tour in 2013 and bought Chinese Yuan and Thai Baht since we stayed at the beginning and end of the tour in Beijing and Thailand. In Vietnam and Korea they are fine with US $. We used an ATM in Nagasaki to get currency, and in Singapore we got along fine with a credit card with no international fees. Definitely need cash for taxis in the ports.

Unless you totally insulate yourself with cruise line excursions you are going to need the legal currency for each country. As has been posted, the best rates will be found by simply using ATMs in each country.

And what a shocker to discover that vendors in various countries expect to be paid in their own currency! And here we thought they would happily except our Mexican Pesos or Russian Rubles.

Hank

A couple of problems with getting cash from ATMs.

1 - Sometimes it just doesn't work

2 - Long lines at the first ATM

3 - In Japan, 7-11 ATMs are the best for international ATMs, BUT give very large bills

4 - Change is always an issue.

Basically on the last two cruises we have went down to the local bank and exchanged for each currency - especially if you want to do things on your own - and have a mixture of bills from small to large.

It was great to get up to go out and not have to worry about an ATM or a long line or too large a bills. We always carried US cash and the local currency so that we had both ways covered.

This is especially true if you get off the beaten path into the street food markets. Singapore, Thailand, not so much Vietnam, China and Korea vendors really liked to deal with local currency only.

And although credit cards gives you the best exchange rate, I really did not want to do business via credit card in the back alleys - only at reputable hotels or stores.

This is a GREAT trip BTW. We want to do it again someday.

Don't forget to do your squatting exercises and get your leg muscles in shape for the squatty potties! (I'm not kidding....)

I have been on this itinerary (except Taiwan) several times with Princess. Local currency would work best except in Vietnam where US dollars is widely accepted everywhere. I believe that you will be visiting Busan in S. Korea and Nagasaki in Japan. A Korean bank (I can't remember which) sets up a portable exchange office right on the pier where you disembark and the rates are very good.

In Nagasaki, an exchange desk is set up right in the terminal next to where you can get your all day tram pass (which I highly recommend if you are not on any Princess excursions).

Enjoy your cruise.