should we take Allure on first Mediterranean cruise?

I mean the first for us and the Allure! We booked May 21, 2015 from Rome on the Allure because of the special and when I saw the cabins were selling out I rushed into it. Now I find out this is the first cruise the Allure will be in the Mediterranean - is that a bad idea? will the embarkation crew be ready for so many passengers (6000)? will the ports know what to expect? I'm getting cold feet - should I change? :confused:

Edited by Aunt Sue

I mean the first for us and the Allure! We booked May 21, 2015 from Rome on the Allure because of the special and when I saw the cabins were selling out I rushed into it. Now I find out this is the first cruise the Allure will be in the Mediterranean - is that a bad idea? will the embarkation crew be ready for so many passengers (6000)? will the ports know what to expect? I'm getting cold feet - should I change? :confused:

You should go because everyone will be hanging on your every word when you get back! It might go great, it might be a lot of logistical problems. You have me curious, if I take this cruise it will be no earlier than 2016 so you have me curious.

Edited by BillOh

I just did a Mediterranean cruise on the Serenade in June. I have never been on the Allure but I will say this....we went to so many ports I could not imagine doing even half the things on Allure. I also would be concerned about 6000 people in ports off one ship plus others in port as far as seeing sights.

Good luck and enjoy no matter what you decide!

We have booked for Sept 2015 out of Barcelona. Can't wait. Don't worry, you'll enjoy it. As there are two embarkations ports Barcelona and Rome its won't be a full 6000 passengers embarking at one time.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Forums mobile app

I suppose I could go look, but would one of you who booked this let us know the itinerary for discussion? I can't imagine RC planning a 7 day cruise on Allure with more than 3, possibly 4 ports, but I would loved to be proven wrong. I get tired of the cliche, "The ship is the destination"

I did a quick look-up and Allure docks 5 of the 6 available port days on the 7 day sailing. Three of the port days are from 8AM-8PM.

We were on NCL Spirit for our Mediterranean cruise, with about 2,400 passengers, so the smaller ship was perfect for us. After returning from a port it was only 1 flight of stairs to our stateroom and 2 flights to dinner and the show.

Having just returned from an exhausting Mediterranean cruise, there is no way we would have enjoyed the Allure to it's fullest capacity if we were on a ship that size. We talked to so many people that called it a day by 10PM many nights. Most were surprised that they did so much walking on our itinerary. It was so exhausting that NCL crew were on the dock greeting us with water, juice and cold scented wash cloths after returning from our day.

Having said this, there is NO WAY I would ever discourage anyone from taking a cruise no matter the ship, itinerary, time of year, or whatever.

Everyone has their own level of comfort so what works for one is out of the question for someone else.

We are going on the Allure for the second time in August. In this case the ship being the destination is the only reason we booked. We are anticipating seeing whatever we missed last time.

I did a quick look-up and Allure docks 5 of the 6 available port days on the 7 day sailing. Three of the port days are from 8AM-8PM.

We were on NCL Spirit for our Mediterranean cruise, with about 2,400 passengers, so the smaller ship was perfect for us. After returning from a port it was only 1 flight of stairs to our stateroom and 2 flights to dinner and the show.

Having just returned from an exhausting Mediterranean cruise, there is no way we would have enjoyed the Allure to it's fullest capacity if we were on a ship that size. We talked to so many people that called it a day by 10PM many nights. Most were surprised that they did so much walking on our itinerary. It was so exhausting that NCL crew were on the dock greeting us with water, juice and cold scented wash cloths after returning from our day.

Having said this, there is NO WAY I would ever discourage anyone from taking a cruise no matter the ship, itinerary, time of year, or whatever.

Everyone has their own level of comfort so what works for one is out of the question for someone else.

We are going on the Allure for the second time in August. In this case the ship being the destination is the only reason we booked. We are anticipating seeing whatever we missed last time.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said.

No I would not. Especially since this is your first Med cruise.

First I have cruised on this ship for a total of four weeks and it is a destination in itself. Book it when the itinerary is not the focus so that you can actually enjoy what this ship has to offer which is a lot

Second the Med can be an exhausting itinerary if seeing the sights is your main objective. We just returned from 13 nights on the Equinox with some very long days in port, on the go and were exhausted on many evenings after returning to the ship. Many evening we ate dinner and called it a night. Last year we cruised on the Splendour OTS out of Venice and again were on the go as it was a port intensive cruise but a good experience due to focus of the ports and not the ship.

The Equinox holds around 2750 guests and that was enough for this type cruise. I can see the Allure being popular with Europeans who do not care where the ship is going. The Allure will probably have upwards of 6000 guests on board even with dual embarkation ports. Some of the ports in the Med are industrial ports and require use of a taxi or bus to leave the area. That would not be fun with 6000 people plus any other ships docked nearby.

My suggestion if you're going to the expense and taking the time to fly to Europe do it on a smaller ship and save the Allure for the Caribbean. :)

Edited by cruisingator2

When you're cruising in Europe you will want to spend as much time in port - seeing the sights and dining in local restaurants. To me, that very large and exciting ship jam-packed with restaurants and entertainment will go to waste. Also, the ports will be flooded with passengers. We've been on her twice.

I agree with the above posters. That ship IS the destination and perfect for cruising the caribbean.

I just did a Mediterranean cruise on the Serenade in June. I have never been on the Allure but I will say this....we went to so many ports I could not imagine doing even half the things on Allure. I also would be concerned about 6000 people in ports off one ship plus others in port as far as seeing sights.

Good luck and enjoy no matter what you decide!

Thats the rub. Med cruises are very port intensive were you are typically off the ship early and when you get back you probably will be tired. Unless the pricing is cheaper than other ships, I would prefer a smaller ship.

When you're cruising in Europe you will want to spend as much time in port - seeing the sights and dining in local restaurants. To me, that very large and exciting ship jam-packed with restaurants and entertainment will go to waste. Also, the ports will be flooded with passengers. We've been on her twice.

I agree with the above posters. That ship IS the destination and perfect for cruising the caribbean.

This times 10. If you can't stay in a port for a couple of days, you may as well go to EPCOT. EXCEPT A RIVER CRUISE, did a Seine River Cruise, great great great.

Walking a great European city is more rewarding than seeing the sights from a bus.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is my opinion, you will need to factor in your preferences.

We did the Allure in the Caribbean and would absolutely do it again, in the Caribbean. The Allure is beautiful but I wouldn't sail her in the Med unless it my only option. Serenade was our best trip in the Med, perfectly suited for that style of cruising. Civitavecchia is a beautiful city, we enjoyed our pre-cruise stay in a small boutique hotel.

Civitavecchia is a fairly big port so I don't see an embarkation problem, but you may have a problem getting a pre-cruise hotel, so staying in Rome may be your best option. Staying in Rome for an extra day after your cruise will also be a great ending.

My next two statements go far beyond your original questions, and it's only my two cents. If you are thinking about changing, I would do two things. First I would try for a 12 day cruise, you are going to spend a boat load of money and time on a flight. For us 7 days was too short. Second Barcelona is a much better port option.

You will have a great time no matter what you decide. Allure is not a bad option, but there are probably better options.

Enjoy your cruise.

We're doing the similar Allure cruise but from Barcelona just after yours...a memorable cruise and scenic ports.

The ship is worth it - I would not change.

Agree!

As for "port intensive"...we would respectfully disagree. Yes...there are a number of ports and yes there is a lot to potentially see...but that actually applies to hundreds of cruise itineraries.

Enjoy the ship, enjoy the ports - its the combination of the two that will make it all the more special from an experience and memory standpoint. If you got a deal on the price (which we certainly did)...all the better.

Enjoy!

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

someone asked so here's the 7 nite itinerary: Rome, Naples, one day at sea, Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Livorno. that's the reason we're embarking from Rome - so we can stay a few days beforehand instead of just the day in port.

I appreciate the suggestions to take a longer cruise but here's the rub: we're traveling with dd and her bf and they're already taking two weeks off work for this trip - can't expect them to miss 3 weeks of work - would you?

I realize now from the comments to my original question the Allure may not be the optimum ship for this trip but we decided it works for us so we're going to enjoy ourselves no matter what! we're not complainers - we'll wear our happy hats! :D (I will review post-cruise next year).

someone asked so here's the 7 nite itinerary: Rome, Naples, one day at sea, Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Livorno. that's the reason we're embarking from Rome - so we can stay a few days beforehand instead of just the day in port. .

Thanks for that. Allures Caribbean itineraries that she has been doing since around 2010 I think have only 3 port stops in 7 days. I don't want to travel from the US and see only 3 tops, this sound a bit better. Thanks! I'll be watching reviews when they start coming in.

someone asked so here's the 7 nite itinerary: Rome, Naples, one day at sea, Barcelona, Mallorca, Marseille, Livorno. that's the reason we're embarking from Rome - so we can stay a few days beforehand instead of just the day in port.

I appreciate the suggestions to take a longer cruise but here's the rub: we're traveling with dd and her bf and they're already taking two weeks off work for this trip - can't expect them to miss 3 weeks of work - would you?

We're in the same boat as you (pun intended :D)....on Allure and wanted a 7-day cruise with 2-3 additional days in the departure port (in our case Barcelona) to make it about a 10-11 day trip overall.

So we can empathize with the dynamics of the goal you had in mind. I suspect your trip will end up being an amazing experience.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I would go. Yes the ports are exhausting, yes you are on a mega ship with far more to do than you will cover in a week. But you will have a fantastic time.

Do you homework regarding private tours to save time and your legs and you can do it all.

We have cruised twice in the med, for us we did all of the ports and stayed up late on the ship to enjoy all that it offered. You can sleep when you get home.

The ports the Allure is going to are well organised and will easily cope with a ship that size. When I checked it out it was the only ship in port that day (for July). I was looking because I wanted to do a B2B on another ship, but nothing tied up.

Marseilles is a horrible port, the port charge €15 each to bus you into town, public transport is a good 2 mile walk. The actual town of Marseilles is lovely.

Livorno, a long walk to public transport, and a charge for the bus. Marjoca you can walk to the bus stop that will take you into town or to the water park. Not a fan of Marjoca because I have been lots of times being a Brit.

Barcelona, get a hop on hop off bus or head to the Olympic port area. I love Barcelona so much to do.

Edited by heatherbelle

We're booked on the Vision for a 12 night med cruise next spring and are trying to plan a pre-cruise stopover to Ireland to visit family on the way to Barcelona for a few days.

Our reasons for selecting Vision over Allure are the same as noted by previous posters- we plan to spend long days in port touring, and having sailed on Oasis, I know it would be a battle to miss everything that Allure has to force myself to get a good night's sleep.

Looking forward to the Vision, and then getting on Allure at another time...

For Med cruises, smaller ships and a May or September sailing date, is ideal.

1) Med cruises are very port intensive. You will have less time than most cruises to enjoy the amenities on board the ship.

2) Many ports are relatively small and the fewer cruise pax in port the better your experience.

3) Most of the ports are too small to allow the very large ships to dock, so you will be required to tender. And some ports (like Santorini) have infrastructure where the tenders dock which would make handling one-ship with 6000 pax pretty much impossible. So your cruises itinerary could be limited by such issues rather than those ports that are most desirable.

Take a Med cruise on a smaller ship (Radiance class or less, we did one Voyeger class Med cruise and it was really less than optimal). Save your first Allure cruise for a cruise where you are willing to have the ship be your destination.

Save your first Allure cruise for a cruise where you are willing to have the ship be your destination.

Following that logic...no one should book the new (almost as large as Allure and with all sorts of new toys onboard) Quantum class ships for any itineraries that include multiple/new ports...which will be most of them. Makes no sense.

We did Alaska on Radiance recently....with 5 stops...and still enjoyed the ship despite "multiple port excursions"...then on Indy just 6 weeks earlier...only 3 stops...still enjoyed both the ports and the ship...same holds true for every cruise ever taken.

These are cruises with excursions...not excursions and just "briefly hopping around on a ship in between".

A cruise experience is both the ship and any destination ports.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001