Star Level on Room Keys

SilvertoGold

My goodness, just imagine all those cruisers that love to wear their cruise cards around their neck (with the stars facing out) so they can say "Look at me, I have more stars then you." Take those Stars off the card and these folks would probably draw them back on with a magic marker :)

Hank

You are a riot!

My goodness, just imagine all those cruisers that love to wear their cruise cards around their neck (with the stars facing out) so they can say "Look at me, I have more stars then you." Take those Stars off the card and these folks would probably draw them back on with a magic marker :)

Hank

You have actually looked at the key cards people wear around their neck and seen the number of stars? :eek: I envy you the excellent eyesight. :D I can honestly say I have never seen anyone pass by someone wearing their lanyard and paid a bit of attention to looking at it.

You have actually looked at the key cards people wear around their neck and seen the number of stars? :eek: I envy you the excellent eyesight. :D I can honestly say I have never seen anyone pass by someone wearing their lanyard and paid a bit of attention to looking at it.

Me neither, Sail. I really don't care how many stars people have and I couldn't see them to count if I did. I wear my lanyard during the day for convenience and not to display any star level. I don't carry a purse around and don't want to lose the card. Some people read sinister motives into the simplest of things.

Me neither, Sail. I really don't care how many stars people have and I couldn't see them to count if I did. I wear my lanyard during the day for convenience and not to display any star level. I don't carry a purse around and don't want to lose the card. Some people read sinister motives into the simplest of things.

The bad thing about getting my 4th Star this Fall is that I have to go back to the Tattoo artist and have him add one more star on my forehead!

The bad thing about getting my 4th Star this Fall is that I have to go back to the Tattoo artist and have him add one more star on my forehead!

Well then, I guess you won't be needing a lanyard. :D:D

LOL.... I really did laugh out loud. :D

Thanks for the giggle.

Hank

Yeah, that almost as bad as a person starting every post with how many days they have on every line. Usually, its just not relevant. I do wear a lanyard but my card is facing my chest with the back facing out. I use the lanyard for convenience so i can actually find my card quickly. I never wear it at night.

My goodness, just imagine all those cruisers that love to wear their cruise cards around their neck (with the stars facing out) so they can say "Look at me, I have more stars then you." Take those Stars off the card and these folks would probably draw them back on with a magic marker
DW wears hers on a lanyard strictly for the convenience of not having to carry a purse around, and would do so even if the stars weren't there. I doubt she would notice if they disappeared.

Hank

Without the stars how can staff tell who deserves the bowing and scraping?

As we all know, Holland America is trying to appeal to a broader demographic. Toward that end, they've tweaked the program a bit, introducing color Mariner logos. The printers required for the new Mariner logos are a little more complicated because they're not simply printing in black. Until the color printers get out of testing, I would imagine that there might be the occasional card printed without the full Mariner level on it. Apparently, the magnetic strip will tell HAL employees your Mariner level.

Even though the level names change, the benefits remain magically delicious.

mariner-new.jpg

Edited by POA1

As we all know, Holland America is trying to appeal to a broader demographic. Toward that end, they've tweaked the program a bit, introducing color Mariner logos. The printers required for the new Mariner logos are a little more complicated because they're not simply printing in black. Until the color printers get out of testing, I would imagine that there might be the occasional card printed without the full Mariner level on it. Apparently, the magnetic strip will tell HAL employees your Mariner level.

mariner-new.jpg

You better copyright that image quickly.

HAL is rushing to steal it from you!!!!! :D

mariner-new.jpg

Behave :D:p;).

Until my last cruise - when I left it behind on the kitchen counter:( - I have used a beautiful embroidered pouch on a knitted chain specially made for key cards, that I bought from Pike Place Market years ago. So I had to buy a lanyard on the ship, and I was very happy to wear my gold key card round my neck where everyone could see that I was in a Neptune suite, LOL! (Upgrade/upsell fairy - thank you:D). Not sure anyone could make out how many stars, though unless they had super eyesight.

Until my last cruise - when I left it behind on the kitchen counter:( - I have used a beautiful embroidered pouch on a knitted chain specially made for key cards, that I bought from Pike Place Market years ago. So I had to buy a lanyard on the ship, and I was very happy to wear my gold key card round my neck where everyone could see that I was in a Neptune suite, LOL! (Upgrade/upsell fairy - thank you:D). Not sure anyone could make out how many stars, though unless they had super eyesight.

Did anyone ask why your card was gold?

Did any other guest notice?

I've never worn a lanyard so all this is fun for me to read.

For everything else the perks are done by computer. One cruise I sailed with a friend who was a 1*. The 1* on her card only confused the crew at the Explorations Cafe when she bought drinks for both of us. The computer showed my 50% discount (as we were on the same booking) yet her card only had 1*.

According to the Mariner Program FAQs (and my own experience) everyone in the cabin on the same booking shares the benefits of the highest star level in the cabin.

If a 3-Star Mariner shares a stateroom with a 2-Star Mariner, does each guest receive separate benefits?

All guests sharing a stateroom as part of the same booking will receive the benefits earned by the guest at the highest Star level. Guests sharing a stateroom under different booking numbers receive individual Star level benefits.

This has been my experience when sharing a cabin with a lower-star level friend/family member.

As long as you had the same booking number, she would get your benefits and the computer was right.

Did anyone ask why your card was gold?

Did any other guest notice?

I've never worn a lanyard so all this is fun for me to read.

No, only the wine waiter noticed! He said "oh, you're in one of the fancy cabins" LOL! Mind you, maybe those who seemed intent on my staring at my boobs were really trying to figure out how many stars......:D

This thread is a such fun!

I don't wear a lanyard, I'm always afraid someone is going to try to grab it off my neck when I'm in port.. My key card is attached to a Boojee bead badge reel..

http://www.boojeebeads.com/badge-reels/fashion-badge-reels/

No need to bend close to scan out or open our door as the reel extends 18 inches..

Have several of them & enjoy using different ones to match the outfit I'm wearing.. It clips onto my pocket or purse.. One year when all the girls in our family were taking a Carnival Cruise paid by the Other Granny I gave each one of them a different badge reel as a stocking gift..They loved them

Off the ship the card fits neatly in my pocket - On the ship I let it hang out.. DH keeps his key card in his wallet..

:cool:

Even though we're 4 star we don't like to cut the tendering lines, unless we are late for an appointment or tour..

Of course, you don't 'cut the tendering lines'. :eek: No stars permit that.

The star permit us to avoid going to lounge to collect tender tickets but it does not allow for cutting in line. We get in the back of whatever line there is at the gangway and wait our turn.

You better copyright that image quickly.

HAL is rushing to steal it from you!!!!! :D

The name on the Stateroom Key, "John Holahan" is the guy from General Mills who invented Lucky Charms. He made the original concept by adding chopped up Brach's Circus Peanuts to Cheerios.

The marshmallow pieces are called "Marbits." Education - Whether you want it or not!

Sources: Wikipedia article on Lucky Charms and General Mills' blog.

According to the Mariner Program FAQs (and my own experience) everyone in the cabin on the same booking shares the benefits of the highest star level in the cabin.

This has been my experience when sharing a cabin with a lower-star level friend/family member.

As long as you had the same booking number, she would get your benefits and the computer was right.

Of course the computer was correct. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that the number of stars on her card had nothing to do with her receiving the perks - to which she was entitled. As I said, the stars only confused the crew member.

Of course the computer was correct. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that the number of stars on her card had nothing to do with her receiving the perks - to which she was entitled. As I said, the stars only confused the crew member.

I'm sorry, I read your response as meaning that she should not have gotten the higher discount and that was the issue.

I've never had the crew confused by my lower-star traveling companions, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. My husband is a 1-Star Mariner while I'm a 4-Star. Thanks for your experience. I'll have to make sure he's aware there may be an issue. He hasn't cruised since they instituted the Star program, though I have.