Century's last cruise question

shaq

I'm wondering if I have made a mistake booking the last cruise. Because the ship is on it's last cruise will the standards that we are used to from Celebrity still be there?

I'm on it as well. We have a nice roll call going come join.

I booked it BECAUSE it's the final sailing. I'd actually expect a lot of special things to happen along the way. I be there will be a real feeling of community and camaraderie that developed among the crew and guests.

It's being turned over to a Royal Caribbean subsidiary (Celebrity is part of RCI) so I wouldn't expect it at all to be rundown or let go completely it wouldn't make financial sense to do so just to pay to bring it back again. Staff may be let go for a period of time, but it rotates normally anyway, they will just now have a larger pool of qualified candidates to choose from to fill other ships instead of new hires, good for the line as a whole. If they slack, they won't be asked back.

I don't see any issues at all to consider.

Some things may suffer, thye may start to run out of some food or drink items but I would expect the cruise to be better and more memorable due to it being the last one as the Celebrity Century. As mentioned already, the staff may even provide extra tokens of gratitude such as free drinks, or really good discounts on specialty meals as a last hurrah.:D

I'm on it as well. We have a nice roll call going come join.

I booked it BECAUSE it's the final sailing. I'd actually expect a lot of special things to happen along the way. I be there will be a real feeling of community and camaraderie that developed among the crew and guests.

It's being turned over to a Royal Caribbean subsidiary (Celebrity is part of RCI) so I wouldn't expect it at all to be rundown or let go completely it wouldn't make financial sense to do so just to pay to bring it back again. Staff may be let go for a period of time, but it rotates normally anyway, they will just now have a larger pool of qualified candidates to choose from to fill other ships instead of new hires, good for the line as a whole. If they slack, they won't be asked back.

I don't see any issues at all to consider.

cle-guy,

Are you also on the Singapore to Dubai (next to last cruise)?

I expect your planned stop in Israel is likely to be a no go. Of course, a lot can happen in 8 months.

cle-guy,

Are you also on the Singapore to Dubai (next to last cruise)?

I expect your planned stop in Israel is likely to be a no go. Of course, a lot can happen in 8 months.

No not on SIngaopre to dubai (yet...!)

Maybe they add in an Egyptian port by then like Alexandria....that would be a nice stop to add and replace Israel with.

No not on SIngaopre to dubai (yet...!)

Maybe they add in an Egyptian port by then like Alexandria....that would be a nice stop to add and replace Israel with.

It would be a shame to miss Israel, there is so much to see there. Not sure Egypt is safe yet. The terrorists are now targeting tourists, but the Government is cracking down. The Singapore to Dubai has sold out except for insides.

It would be a shame to miss Israel, there is so much to see there. Not sure Egypt is safe yet. The terrorists are now targeting tourists, but the Government is cracking down. The Singapore to Dubai has sold out except for insides.

I've got a love of Egypt, many friends there, spent moths at a time there for several years leading up to the turmoil, have been back since the turmoil. My work was at the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo at Tahrir Sauare - right in the middle of the action so to speak!

Our news reports things in a far more sensationalized fashion than what reality is, that; been my biggest thing learned in my international travels. Egypt is pretty safe but for the border area and avoid Tahrir Square in Cairo on weekends to avoid the crowds is all.

I'm in regular contact with friends there, and have colleagues form the USA who still make their twice annual trips for business there and are all feeling safe.

Truth be told, avoid Chicago in the USA if one wants to be safe...70 shootings over last weekend alone, 5 deaths at least from them.

Egypt's economy relies on tourism, so now's a great time to go with great deals on hotels and excursions. They go well out of their way to afford protections to visitors, mores than their own people actually. May westerners will find themselves upgraded to the presidential suites for normal hotel rates these days.

I've got a love of Egypt, many friends there, spent moths at a time there for several years leading up to the turmoil, have been back since the turmoil. My work was at the Egyptian Museum in central Cairo at Tahrir Sauare - right in the middle of the action so to speak!

Our news reports things in a far more sensationalized fashion than what reality is, that; been my biggest thing learned in my international travels. Egypt is pretty safe but for the border area and avoid Tahrir Square in Cairo on weekends to avoid the crowds is all.

I'm in regular contact with friends there, and have colleagues form the USA who still make their twice annual trips for business there and are all feeling safe.

Truth be told, avoid Chicago in the USA if one wants to be safe...70 shootings over last weekend alone, 5 deaths at least from them.

Egypt's economy relies on tourism, so now's a great time to go with great deals on hotels and excursions. They go well out of their way to afford protections to visitors, mores than their own people actually. May westerners will find themselves upgraded to the presidential suites for normal hotel rates these days.

cle-guy,

I love ancient history and Egypt had so much. I visited there in 83 and 85. It is amazing how much has been preserved.

I have been reading about Chicago, I guess they changed the school districts there and closed some schools which upset the gang boundaries.

I'm wondering if I have made a mistake booking the last cruise. Because the ship is on it's last cruise will the standards that we are used to from Celebrity still be there?

Shaq, we would love for you to come over and join our roll call. I'm on the last cruise and also the one before it and expect to have a fabulous cruise. I've always loved the Century so it's really special to be on her last cruise. I think most of our cruisers feel the same way. Here's a link to our roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1958631.

Garry

...avoid Chicago in the USA if one wants to be safe...
I have been to well over 100 countries, and often get asked "Aren't you scared to go to..." In 2011 (the year of Egypt's Arab Spring) the murder rate in Egypt was 3.4 per 100,000. By way of comparison the murder rate in DC (near where I live) was 17.4 per 100,000 in 2011 (and it was consistently above 40 a decade ago). I have wandered around many places in Egypt at night and felt safe; I can't say that I feel safe wandering around DC at night.

Thom

I think that Israel is a trip that requires much more than an one or two day cruise stop. It is an amazing country and worth an investment of at least a week or so.

I can't say that I feel safe wandering around DC at night.

Well, you guys make me feel great. I have one daughter living in Chicago and one moving to DC next month. Thanks.

...Well, you guys make me feel great. I have one daughter living in Chicago and one moving to DC next month. Thanks.
I do go to DC at night. After all 99,982 out of 100,000 were NOT murdered in DC in 2011. But at night I go places, versus just "wander". With a little common sense (such as not making drug dealers mad), people are just fine.

Thom

Travel certainly broadens the mind and makes you realise how good home is. I have been to both Chicago and DC and felt safe. Haven't been to Egypt or Isreal as yet but I imagine common sense and being aware of your surroundings (what is happening around you) would be the best course of action anywhere.:D