Aqua Class MUST dine in BLU?

Gr8ful One

Sissy, Congrats on the Victory!

Now, the main reason to book Aqua is to have Blu as your dinning room. If the rest of the family is not in Aqua, I would suggest rebooking a regular balcony cabin and save a chunk of $$.

Now I went and read thru the comments, and see I am not alone in my thinking. Save the money and go to the Lawn Club Grill, or Muranos.

Edited by wallie5446

If you do decide to switch cabins take a look at the category C2. Currently there are "hump" cabins available on all of Reflection's January sailings. These cabins have very large balconies which you might enjoy as you are traveling with your family. A celebratory toast may be appropriate.

And, I'd like to add my congratulations as well.

Yes the C2 cabins are great on the hump. We like them better than Aqua Class.

Thanks dkjretired for the info that they made Blu larger on the Reflection.

Congratulations Gr8ful One on your victory over the big C. I hope your cruise is all you want it to be and more.

I join the others in suggesting that you change your cabin from Blu if there are still some balcony cabins available. All the things that are special about AQ will separate you from your kids. With the saving in booking a regular verandah cabin, you could have dinner in a Specialty Restaurant once or twice and you would be eating all the time as a family.

Edited by YVR cruiser

Sissy --

My wife and I were on Reflection this past Spring in Aqua Class and enjoyed Blu so much that we booked a January 2015 Reflection cruise for us and our kids (ages 23, 20, 20 and 20). We decided to splurge on this cruise, as it gets more difficult over time for all of us to get togther due to college and work schedules. To us, Blu was a great dining experience, similar to dining in a fine restaurant, which we know that our kids will enjoy. Of course, you will see a good number of posts by those who did not like Blu. So, if your budget allows, move them to Aqua Class so all of you can go to Blu together. Although AQ has other perks, none, in my opinion, are worth the increased cost except for Blu.

I am amazed by all the help I've received here!! Thank you, thank you!!

I have been on hold with Celebrity for hours in the past 2 days, spending after dinner hours and lunch hour at work trying to get thru with no results. I finally sent an email, though I'm not sure that will get me anywhere, either. I could recite by heart the schpiel the lady gives while on hold.....

I was not convinced when the very nice gentleman on the phone sold me the AQ, but I did ask him where he would put his mom, so that's what I got! I am eligible for an upgrade, and with the current 123go, I'm extremely confused about this entire thing.

The fear of not getting the best deal is really interfering with the joy of planning this cruise!!

Thank you all, for your kind thoughts, I hope to have hair long enough to blow in the ocean breeze again, by January!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!

I am amazed by all the help I've received here!! Thank you, thank you!!

I have been on hold with Celebrity for hours in the past 2 days, spending after dinner hours and lunch hour at work trying to get thru with no results. I finally sent an email, though I'm not sure that will get me anywhere, either. I could recite by heart the schpiel the lady gives while on hold.....

I was not convinced when the very nice gentleman on the phone sold me the AQ, but I did ask him where he would put his mom, so that's what I got! I am eligible for an upgrade, and with the current 123go, I'm extremely confused about this entire thing.

The fear of not getting the best deal is really interfering with the joy of planning this cruise!!

Thank you all, for your kind thoughts, I hope to have hair long enough to blow in the ocean breeze again, by January!! WHOOOHOOOO!!!

The "best deal" is not necessarily about money. In most cases it's about finding the best way to spend as much quality time as possible with your family. Keep a focus on your real priorities.

Absolutely rebook your cabin to another class if you don't intend to upgrade your kids to AQ. Dining on Celebrity ships is capacity controlled, and a certain number of passengers are assigned to either Select, Early Traditional, Late Traditional, or Blu for AQ cruisers. Although it is OK to ask to eat in the MDR occasionally if you are in Blu, it is NOT designed for you to do so every night. This would be hard on those who are actually assigned to that time. Plus, depending on how full the different categories are, you may not be able to get the time or dining choice that you all prefer. Much simpler to have all 4 of you in the same class of cabin, choose one of the dining options, and all be assigned to the same choice. Plus, all balcony cabins on the S class are the same, they only differ in location and amenities. This will be a wonderful time together for your family, don't run the risk of setting up a dining headache. If you book AQ, the expectation will be that you eat there most of the time. PS--- It will not be possible for your kids to join you in Blu unless they are in AQ or a suite. All reports are that this is strictly enforced.

Edited by cynbar

sealover, can you recommend a specific Cabin number? I'm not sure how this even works, but I am determined to wait it out tonight and change my reservations!

This is an amazing group, CruiseCritic. You have helped me immensely!

Thank you again!

What cabin are your kids in? It helps to be fairly near each other.

If I was treating kids (and I know they are young adults), and money was an issue, I'd have no problem taking a balcony with them across the hall in an inside.

sealover, can you recommend a specific Cabin number? I'm not sure how this even works, but I am determined to wait it out tonight and change my reservations!

This is an amazing group, CruiseCritic. You have helped me immensely!

Thank you again!

Have you tried Captain's Club? Wait time shorter and they are very helpful:)

800-760-0654 You will have a wonderful, well deserved cruise with your family! That is what is most important, not where you eat!

Edited by Christine Frances

Please let us know what you decide! I think the best plan is for all 4 of you to be assigned to the same dining. Some cruisers will say they were assigned to Blu and had no trouble eating in the MDR. But they usually mean once or twice, not every night. And if you don't intend to eat in Blu, there's really little reason to be in AQ, the cabin itself is no different than all the other balcony cabins, and the other amenities are nothing to get too excited about. I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but if you really want to treat yourself, you could upgrade to a suite. Then you could eat freely in the MDR or Blu, or of course anywhere else on the ship.

Edited by cynbar

OP, I would also comment to whoever you speak with that when you booked, it was not made clear to you that you would have one dining room as you were booked in AQ, and the rest of the family would be in the other dinning room. The agent you spoke with needs some training.

I think that depends on whether she booked both cabins at the same time. If originally just did theirs, then called to purchase another for the kids later, maybe she didn't mention to the rep the situation that they were already in Aqua.

If at the same time then yes, should have been told about the 2 different dining rooms.

We were in Aqua class several years ago on the Infinity. The breakfasts were terrific, but it was inconvenient to get to the cabin (on the 11th floor), and the dinners were somewhat disappointing so we ate in the MDR and liked it much better. There wasn't a problem of switching. That said, we were a party of 2, not 4. Since this cruise is to be with your family, I agree with the others who advise to switch out of Aqua, save money, and be assured of being with your family.

Sissy, congratulations on your wonderful victory. You and your family deserve this special time together, and have chosen a wonderful way to celebrate as a family.

One thing that I don't think I have seen mentioned is that sometimes AQ cabins can be a bargain. I have sailed in AQ when they were less costly than Concierge Class, and once when our AQ cabin was even cheaper than an 1A cabin, so do check to see what the relative pricing is.

What cabin category are your children in at the present time?

We love Aquaclass and Blu, which for us is always the main reason to book Aquaclass. We do appreciate the little AQ perks, though, such as access to the Persian Gardens, the enhanced shower, the bottled water, etc.

One of the nice things about having Blu as your main dining room is that you can go to dinner at any time that is convenient to you, without making a reservation. We always find the service is more personal, and a little less rushed in Blu, and we really like the way food is prepared and served in Blu.

If you decide to switch out of Aquaclass, look for cabins "on the hump". We often find that 1A cabins can be a great choice, although we do miss the sun loungers that you get in AQ and Concierge class, that you usually do not get in 1A's and other non-suite cabins.

Also know that, if you keep an eye on cabin availability, you can switch cabins within categories at any time, without extra charge. Close to the final payment date, be especially vigilant as great cabins can pop back into inventory as people change their plans.

Edited by Waterlily777

Hi, All!

I absolutely got both cabins at the same time, but nobody ever mentioned to me about the Captain's Club, I learned about it on this website. I'm not sure I understand it, but I am eligible for one upgrade up to AQ, as is my Hubby.

Here's what I am trying to do: wipe out those other reservations, it was an AQ cabin and the kids had an inside cabin near us, (not too near, they are still young and what I don't know...won't hurt me!!!)

I want to make a reservation for a balcony room and use the upgrade I'm eligible for to get the best one I can.

Hubby can make a reservation and get the kids in a balcony and use his upgrade to get them a nice one. I want them to have fun, they don't need to stick to us constantly, but I do want us all to eat together at night.

The wonderful guy on the phone that helped me the very first time, he got me an AQ cabin because I asked him, which one would you put YOUR mom in? His name is Jameel and he was wonderful and helped me immensely, I don't blame him at all. Although the BLU deal was not made clear to me.

I finally got thru last night and the young lady told me that I should speak to the person in front of BLU and this person would try to get the kids in BLU, too.

After reading all these posts and digesting the information, I have decided to do what I mentioned above and get out of the AQ.

Now I have to wait on hold again, I get so aggravated, wasting all that time, but I'm determined...

This site is a blessing to me. I don't know what I would have done, when we are on this glorious ship and the kids are in a different dining room than we are!!!

I have a great deal of gratitude and admiration for this bunch of folks. I am in absolute awe of some of your cruising history!! I'm only on my second, yet I feel blessed beyond worth!

It is amazing, isn't it!!??

Sissy

Hi, All!

I absolutely got both cabins at the same time, but nobody ever mentioned to me about the Captain's Club, I learned about it on this website. I'm not sure I understand it, but I am eligible for one upgrade up to AQ, as is my Hubby.

Here's what I am trying to do: wipe out those other reservations, it was an AQ cabin and the kids had an inside cabin near us, (not too near, they are still young and what I don't know...won't hurt me!!!)

I want to make a reservation for a balcony room and use the upgrade I'm eligible for to get the best one I can.

Hubby can make a reservation and get the kids in a balcony and use his upgrade to get them a nice one. I want them to have fun, they don't need to stick to us constantly, but I do want us all to eat together at night.

The wonderful guy on the phone that helped me the very first time, he got me an AQ cabin because I asked him, which one would you put YOUR mom in? His name is Jameel and he was wonderful and helped me immensely, I don't blame him at all. Although the BLU deal was not made clear to me.

I finally got thru last night and the young lady told me that I should speak to the person in front of BLU and this person would try to get the kids in BLU, too.

After reading all these posts and digesting the information, I have decided to do what I mentioned above and get out of the AQ.

Now I have to wait on hold again, I get so aggravated, wasting all that time, but I'm determined...

This site is a blessing to me. I don't know what I would have done, when we are on this glorious ship and the kids are in a different dining room than we are!!!

I have a great deal of gratitude and admiration for this bunch of folks. I am in absolute awe of some of your cruising history!! I'm only on my second, yet I feel blessed beyond worth!

It is amazing, isn't it!!??

Sissy

Glad that everything seems to be working out for you. I just want to make a comment about the Blu advice you received: IT WAS TOTALLY WRONG! The rule is firm and strictly enforced on all ships: No one except AQ passengers and Suite passengers if space is available may dine in Blu. No exceptions. Not even VIP guests can dine in Blu. Not even the Captain can dine in Blu. Someone needs some training!

Glad that everything seems to be working out for you. I just want to make a comment about the Blu advice you received: IT WAS TOTALLY WRONG! The rule is firm and strictly enforced on all ships: No one except AQ passengers and Suite passengers if space is available may dine in Blu. No exceptions. Not even VIP guests can dine in Blu. Not even the Captain can dine in Blu. Someone needs some training!

Orator is correct and this is actually one rule that they appear to enforce at all times.